1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, currently I am at 450 page and I'd say that the books is pleasent, but not excellent... It's quite slow, but hope it'd get fastened... :)

[ February 03, 2003, 21:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well Ishameal, it is easily the worst book in the series. I was really disapointed the last three books before CoT has been build ups for something great and especially after the great ending of Winters Hearth I thought that things would finally start happening. But nope, they dont. Nothing happens in the book, you can easily skip it and start on 11 and nothing has happened since the end of WH. I am wondering what is wrong with Jordan, something is rotten in the kingdom of WoT. Sadly... :(

3. Rathanel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How on Earth can you say this book is crap? Just because you don't get the instant gratification of Forsaken slaying and wars doesn't mean that nothing happened. Is it slow? Of course, he's writing about events over the whole damn world. Nothing happened? Only in the sense that (almost) nobody died. This was a far more psychological book than action, so if you are only looking for action, read Salvatore (you'll just have to slog through the "rotten" bits with Catti-Brie and Drizzt's consciences).

In deference, I will admit that the focus has shifted, and that there was a lot more physical adrenaline in the early books, but the characters involved have also changed, and are no longer limited to fight or flight. They have grown in both power and maturity, and there actions have changed accordingly.

If you don't like the way the latest books have gone, I'm sorry. I personally enjoy them just as much (for the most part; Perrin is just irritating) but can see where you might have gotten sadly lost.

4. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

I was strucked when Perrin cut one hand of Shaido Aiel... I wanted to kneel and howl that I know how to take his stupid ***** outta Shaido Captive... I must say that I enjoyed this book, one book as good as "aCoS"...

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

While I have yet to pick up Crossroads, the pace of the past few novels has slowed to the point of ridiculousness. World-building and psychological focus notwithstanding, Jordan is just stretching this series as far as it can go. The magic and mystery of the first few books has been shot to . . . perdition. I'm at the point where I want to see how things wrap up but I won't buy any more books until he hits the end.

If anyone ever read Herbert's "Dune" books, the same thing happened there -- a couple of masterpieces, and then a slide into lower quality wordiness punctuated with a few brief gems.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] ********** Spoilers (if you haven't read the book) *****

Egwene!?!?!? What the heck was she thinking?!?!?!

The alliance with the Seanchan was pretty cool!

I need more Thom Merrilin! He rocked!

One thing I'm pretty sure of....Halima is the male Forsaken reincarnated in the body of a woman...I am sure of it!!!! All the dead Aes Sedai, killed by saidin....It all points to her.

Okay, now for something completely different...I starting rereading Eye of the World...It's amazing how much Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwen and Nynaeve have changed!!! How long has it been storywise? A year? Two years? It's amazing at how much they've changed.

Starting the books over definitely helps...Jordan has introduced so many characters, I need a scorecard to keep them straight.

Oh well...enough ranting from me.

7. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Maybe it's three years after all...

8. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Just read the book and I wanted to scream in frustration. How much longer can RJ drag this out? The plot hardly progresses and the main character, Rand, appears for like slightly more than one chapter.

We wait so long for one book and this is it? I've forgotten most of the gazzillion less significant subplots and 60 percent of Book 10 had me utterly mystified. Why can't he just get to the point?

Furyk. What kinda name is that? It sounds like a vulglarity!
    Too many names, too much stuff, too little substance. Sorry RJ, at this moment, I'd take a Drizzt book over your 'grand and epic' tale. At least I don't forget the names of Salvatore's characters and I don't need a PDA to keep track of them.

:mad:

*Utter dissapointment*
    And to think I loved Books 1 to 5. It just went to crap from there.

9. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Because he's Robert Jordan, that's why! :D And I'll always buy his books, no matter what he is writing...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.