1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dating Shows...and Court TV

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, is it just me or are there too many dating shows and court TV shows on TV? Yesterday I was flipping through the stations and was shocked at how many of them are on the air. I don't have satellite or cable TV, so there are probably a lot more that I haven't seen. The ones I've seen on the 6-7 stations my TV can pick up are:

Blind Date
    Elimadate
    The 5th Wheel
    Extreme Dating
    Change of Heart

Judge Judy
    Divorce Court
    Judge Joe Brown
    Texas Justice
    And a few others on UPN and the Spanish station

These shows are on 2-3 times a day! And worst of all, 90% of the commercials are for telephone dating services, or life insurance. I wonder if some of the shows have a deal going: Show up on Blind Date, and sue the person you were set up with on Judge Judy if anything goes wrong on the date. Maybe it's just me but daytime and late night TV has really gone downhill! :rolling:

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There's nearly the same ammount of them in the German television,they are really annoying!And everybody knows,that the court shows aren't real(the actors are just perfect :D )

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Kitrax, IMHO, late night and daytime has always been the pits; it's no worse now than it's ever been. Those court shows are a joke, and the dating shows are, IMHO, symptomatic of the breakdown of Western society. Utterly disgusting.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

We have that show too. :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I agree that daytime TV has always sucked, I have to disagree with you on late night TV. Jay Lenno, Connan, and Last Call, and M*A*S*H* are great shows IMO. :rolling:

6. outputrotation Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

kitrax, nothing is worse than coming home from school exhausted and the only thing on tv is judge joe brown and judge judy on fox. Some of them can be entertaining for like 5 minutes or so. I mean, you can only take so many court shows before you want bash your head in with a gavel.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, I haven't seen the English or German ones, but I have every right to suppose they're all inherently silly, those shows... :rolleyes:

Here we have had more dating shows than court shows recently, maybe because Polish law has justly lost all remnants of respect.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well I for one think these shows perform a wonderful public service, at least they have for me. They enchant the thumb of my right hand, making it seem to move of it's own free will. It then pulls itself uncontrollably to the OFF button on the remote, thereby preventing my IQ from dropping any lower. ;)

These days I watch about 30 minutes of TV a week (which is a staggering improvement over my teenage years). The news mostly, Letterman, but I never get to stay up late enough to see Conan anymore :( . Boo hoo. I actually do semi-productive things now! Go figure.

Most of what's on TV these days, at least in the US, is complete SWILL. I could go on for hours about how sh*tty and unoriginal American TV is these days. One network comes up with a marginally good idea for a show that gets decent ratings, and every other network shamelessly copies it, because none them have a scrap of substance left in them. God forbid anyone get creative.

The biggest mind-numbingly lame example of this is American Idol. Oooh boy - Fox picks a winner! So what competition do we get as a result? "America's Most Talent Brat" (oops, Kid), "Future Junkie Search" (oops, I meant the return of 'Star Search') and "Testing The Limits of Human Narcicism" (oops, I meant 'Are You Hot?').

I'd rather stick my dick in the oven than watch this crap. At least then I would learn something. :mad:

[ April 24, 2003, 01:23: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

9. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Being lucky, I have satellite and a guide, so I stick to cartoon network, old whose-line-is-it-anyway's, paperviews, and movei channels when good ones are on. But I really don't watch tv, very much. Usually a few cartoons and movie on friday, some movies over the weekend, and the rest of my entertainment if from my pc and reading.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] This is exactly why I don't plan on having a cable bill when I get out on my own.

I prefer the Internet and gaming for leisure. I can get my news off the Internet. With my new comp I can play DVD's. My TV and VCR will be for movies I only have on video and game systems.

For me, TV has outlived its days.

11. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

It's coz those shows are mega cheap to make, and if they are the only thing on, chances are that people will actually watch them regularly.

Same for general talk shows, there are far too many Ever since Jerry Springer started the tv is flooded with them.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Big B, same here. TV is just full of rubbish like those court TVs, and in summer it tends to be even worse.

13. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Reasons why i don't watch tv anymore...
    The only one running over it is soap opera...

And, btw, watching television is illegal in finland.

14. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

Illegal? How come?

15. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Not actually illegal... but having and watching television is illegal without licence, which costs 170 euros for a year. :almostmad:

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It is illegal without that licence, as having a gun without a licence is illegal.

So, owning a television is illegal. If you want to watch it, you pay (a lot).

Finland is a weird country.

17. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

We pay for a liscence as well. I can't remember how much, but i think it's about £100.

18. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31

That is really stupid !To pay for television(we're paying 30 € for cable,but 150 € is a little much !)

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, a few comments:

1: Death Rabbit, tell me what happens if you ever do place your genitalia in the oven.

2: It's illegal to pirate cable pretty well everywhere (just watch the Simpsons!)

3: I don't consider MASH to be late night -- it isn't here -- in fact, I can't ever get it these days. :mad: I can't stand any talk shows, though, even Letterman, Leno and Conan annoy me, though they are admittedly better than Jenny Jones, Maury Povich and that black guy, not to mention the Queen of Hell herself, Oprah.

4: Someone needs to help me out with American Idol. My wife loves it, I could care less but it would take more effort than this piece of crap is worth, and when she watches it, and I head off to play BG2, I get in crap for not spending time with her! :eek:

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    @Depaara: get a laptop, or put a TV and a comfy chair in the computer room. That's what we do. ;)

I have to ask a question I posed on the last iteration of "Least Favorite Music." Why do all of you people know so much about TV shows that you hate? Is there some sort of law that requires you to watch TV at all times? Turn the stupid thing off and get a life, already.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.