1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

David Gemmel

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by iLLusioN', Mar 21, 2004.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

What are the best David Gemmel books? I can't afford to buy them all so i want to get the best. I have Winter Warriors, Waylander, Ghost King, The King Behind the Gate, Sword in the Storm, and prolly a couple others.

2. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well i just finished reading "Echoes Of The Great Song." I actually quite enjoyed that. Some very epic parts in it. So i recommend that seing as it's not on your list.

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] When i first read Waylander i didnt think it was all that great.
    On my second read-through i thought it was great!
    So i gotta get more books of him :D

khm... not a big contribution to the topic is it? :p

4. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

no not really, lol i know some that you might like of him though....most of the ones listed above actually, Druss the legend, hero in the shadows, quest for lost heroes and the stone of power series, and probably the rigante(i only have the first book of that series but it's a good read and hopefully so is the rest of the series)

5. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i have read only two of his books (both a single novel, no series) and they were 'Echoes of the Great Song' and Dark Moon and i really enjoyed them, so i would recommend reading them

6. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Hero in the Shadows is my favourite book - the final book of Waylander. I recommend you read Waylander and Waylander 2 first though.

The Rigante books are great too. I especially liked the last one. They really must be read in order though - Sword in the Storm, Midnight Falcon, Ravenheart, Stormrider.

Winter Warriors is great too. In fact, all the books of his I've read have been great (that's all the above, plus Dark Moon, Echoes of the Great Song and Quest for Lost Heroes), but the above are the best, I think.

7. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

The Druss books are good -
    The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
    The Legend of Deathwalker
    Legend
    I also like the Parmenion books -
    Lion of Macedon
    Dark Prince
    But perhaps the Waylander books are the best. Gemmel's books are a good read - not particularily taxing and a little repetive in content - (he loves a seige). But this has'nt stopped me from buying them.

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Gemmel is one of my favourite writers, and most of the books recommended are really good, but I'd have to disagree with the last two books of The Rigante series, as they are far from as good as the first two. Also, the Jon Shannow books are really good and link with Ghost King and Sword of Power.

9. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

I have to agree with you on that Morningstar. I just bought them last week and have already finished them(along with Storm of Swords, which i also bought at that time) and they arent near as good as the first book(haven't been able to find the second book)

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

It's a real shame you haven't been able to find the second one, as, IMO, it is the best in the whole series. Keep a sharp eye! You won't regret it.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm really sorry, but I don't know the original titles. I've read some two Druss books, two Arthurian ones, one Parmenion, and one or two more. I would say that everything Gemmel spawns is way above "readable".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.