1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

David Gemmell

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shura, May 18, 2003.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, who else is a fan of 'the master of heroic fantasy'?

Personally, I love his work, although it can get overly 'macho' sometimes.

2. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

formaly good, but lacks something like spirit...
    to much military as well (at least what I have read)
    But, that's only my opinion.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I read his first book and thought it was rather good and entertaining. Then I read another, and it was basically exactly the same as the first, then I read a third and it was more or less identical to his two other books. Then I have not really bothered with him. If you have read one you have read them all.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I haven't read any of his stuff, but was seriously looking at the bookstore.

Which should I start with ... Waylander?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

*Hands Tal a mouthpiece to prevent permament dental damage*

So you're saying, "Start with LEGEND"??? :bang:

In my defense; 1) I was asking for help; 2) I never even pretended to be smart!

:good: ;)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    All books on SP are listed in order, so yes.

8. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Actually, Gemmell's books aren't published in chronological order. While Legend is an excellent place to start, I'd just as easily recommend starting with "The Early Chronicles of Druss the Legend". Or, if you want to go about it chronologically, begin with the Waylander series (Waylander, In the Realm of the Wolf, Hero in Shadows). No matter which one you start with, though, you're in for a ride. :D

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've read Legend, and yes, that can be thoroughly recommended.

I'm reading the books of the Rigante at the moment. Currently up to the third one, with I think the fourth due out later this year. Again to coin a phrase: "Most enjoyable".

10. Shura Gems: 25/31

I highly recommend his 'Lion of Macedon' series. Actually, it's only a set of 2 books, detailing the exploits of a spartan warrior and a fictional Alexander the Great.

Gemmell's Rigante series is quite good, though I found the two latest books to be rather weak in terms of character development compared to the first two.

His Drenai series is simply awesome. Druss, Waylander and Skilgannon are great heroes to read about, although the multitude of heroes and heroines he writes about in this fantasy world are interesting as well.

11. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Waylander series, in my opinion is the best and I would definately say "Hero In The Shadows" is some of his finest work, closely followed by "Winter Warriors".

"Legend" is very enjoyable as well, but I don't like Druss, he's just too perfect ;) .

12. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

they're all pretty good, like Joacqin said, they are all similar to each other, but still good.

and Mathetais, don't worry about Tal's teeth, i'm a dental tech ;)

13. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Who is this Skilgannon? I thought I had read pretty much all of his books except a few of the Sipstrassi books and I don't recall him...

Anyway I find Gemmell's books are pretty much the same character wise... For example the Drenai books "Quest for Lost Heroes" and "Winter Warriors" has virtually identical characters. The greatest swordsman, greatest bowman, and a huge giant of a man who nobody really likes (and the same conversation for why his companions like him) and all of them getting on in years...

But anyway, the books are still quite enjoyable to read, especially if you like epic fantasy books with heroes on a quest to stop the end of the world or some such over and over again.

The first two Rigante books are probably the ones I liked best. The characters in them are done better in my opinion and the story seems better. The last two books, especially the last book, where a large let down though. They weren't nearly of the quality of the first too and I almost got the impression he wrote them rather fast just to get them on the shelves.

14. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Okay, I read Legend and loved it. Two questions though;

1) Who is that white-bearded, black armored man on the front cover of the paperback version. Looks like Druss, but he's weilding a SWORD!?!

2) There is a sneak-peak at "King Beyond the Wall" in the back of the paperback version. It didn't sound interesting at all! Does it get better?

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1) No idea.

2) Sadly, it doesnt get better. I really liked Legend as well, with its fast paced action and straight forward plot. Regretfully so is Kind Beyond the wall basically the same thing but worse. A new super hero but a super hero nonetheless and the same fight against super impossible odds that the hero of course in some way manages to overcome.

16. The Kilted Crusader

i finished Legend for the second time the other night, and I have to change my opinion of Druss in it. He's not quite as perfect in it as he is in the other books.

I ordered White Wolf (the new david gemmel book) through the library and it arrived yesterday. When I finish, I'll tell you what I think of it.

17. Shura Gems: 25/31

Skilgannon is the main character in White Wolf. Druss appears in this novel too, lending his 'heroism' to Skilgannon's cause.

Did anybody manage to notice that Druss is a descendant of Waylander's adopted daughter?
    That was a fact I just realised recently.

I still prefer his Drenai tales. They're more akin to fantasy than the others.

18. The Kilted Crusader

Shura, I didn't think Druss would be, as Waylander's adopted daughter was a lover to Senta (a slim swordsman from Waylander 2). Their son was also slim but you here no more of him. She married Angel though, and their descendant was Ulric. I don't see where Druss comes from though.

There is something in White Wolf that confuses me
    SPOILER
    Garianne carries waylander's crossbow, but Waylander travels to another plane and to die. Unless it is the smaller one he had made for his adopted daughter in Waylander 2 I don't know where she gets it.

19. Shura Gems: 25/31

In the legend of Deathwalker, Nosta Khan says that Druss is descended from Angel, Miriel's second husband.

Her first son is Ulric's ancestor. Her second son, described as a huge, plain-looking man who was a great warrior, was Druss's ancestor.

Hence, Ulric and Druss are related! Irony, eh?
    As for the crossbow thing in Whitewolf, I'm not too sure myself. Maybe I'll have to reread Hero in the Shadows again.

20. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, i have read Hero in the Shadows and Waylander (In that order, evn... :rolleyes: and what can I say? Awesome. I like them. I like them a lot. I have an urgent need to get more of these books.... :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.