1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Demogorgon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Occula, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Occula Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This is turning out to be one of the toughest battles yet. I have tried several times, and I can kill the Mariliths sometimes while other times the Demagorgon goes down, but never can I get them all. The one time I killed the Demagorgon early in the battle, the Mariliths wore me down until everyone was dead.

I have searched the archives and found some helpful tips, but there are things I am missing, such as spell trigger and pierce shield, to name a few. My party consists of Minsc, Jahiera, Imoen, Aerie, Valgyar and my main character, a human female fighter.

I want to kill this prince of demons. Any help would be appreciated.

[ July 15, 2004, 15:05: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well I guess it would depend on the level of the party, but what I found is that it's usually best to keep most of your party away from Demogorgon seeing how he beats them up badly and tends to make them diseased....

So first protection from evil 10 radius for everyone and anything else that will protect your party (i.e Defensive Harmony) and before I forget everyone should have a magical weapon that is +4 or better, then you need something other than your party that will take the brunt of the attack so summoning spells are very useful (i.e annimate dead, mordenkainen's sword, summon elementals...if Jaheira is high enough do summon the elemental prince and if Imoen and Aerie are high enough Planetars is the way to go)

I also found that it's better to concentrate on Demogorgon first because killing the Mariliths will only lead to more demons being summoned....

Now you gotta remove all the protections that Demogorgon may have cast on himself so: dispel magic, remove magic, breach, lower resistance, doom and if possible the higher spells such as warding whip)

It's also useful if Aerie or Imoen can cast simulacrum or project image...and don't forget the special abilities of your party....

Then while your spellcasters are throwing everything they got at Demogorgon (i.e bolt of glory, summon insects, magic missile, holy smite, insect plague, dolorous decay, finger of death, wands), Minsc and <CHARNAME> can have a go at Demorgorgon preferably with Whirlwind Attack, Haste or better but don't keep them fighting Demogorgon for a long time (i.e move them around)

Hopefully this helps

3. Occula Gems: 2/31

Very much, thank you. My characters are pretty high level, from 19 to around 35. Thanks for mentioning Defensive Harmony...I had thought about it but forgot to try.

I don't think Planetars are possible, though I could have sworn I picked that as an ability the last time one of the girls leveled up. I have the warding whip and most of the other spells you mentioned, and each time I have been casting all the protections I have on as many of my party as possible. I find that the summoned creatures die pretty quickly, so I'll have to be on top of that as well.

No problem giving everyone +4 weapons, either.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Doesn't the fight immediately end if you kill Demigorgon, or am I thinking of something else?

Warding Whip and Breach on Demigorgon will make him vulnerable, then bash him with PC, Minsc, and Valygar using Greater Whirlwinds if you have them.

Getting an elemental prince may be better than the Planetar (they have a lot more hitpoints).

Try to ignore the marileths. Once demigorgon is dead, they'll fall pretty easily to breach + lower resistance + prince + tons of magic missiles!

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You're right, he's tough. I think Draconis and the final battle are tougher, but that's about it.

1. Wands Of Spell Striking (in Watcher's Keep, which will strip his protections) - Imoen and Aerie should have each have one ready, and these will help you take down the Mariliths as well.
    2. Haste (more attacks + more speed = more damage)
    3. Remove Magic (kills Stoneskin)
    4. Mordekainen's Sword (the best summon in the game)
    5. Protection From Evil, 10ft Radius ('nuff said)
    6. Critical Strike and GWW Attacks
    7. Chaotic Commands (to stop that beguiling gaze)

And I know it goes against the nature of the party, but DO NOT summon any demons, even with the Protection From Evil spell going. Just remember who you're fighting...

6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I killed him easy and cheesy by just standing in the stairs casting cloudkill :D

7. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Demogorgon is immune to all level 5 spells and lower. As such you can cast breach all you like, but it wont work. I use pierce shield, followed quickly by warding whip. You could also toss ruby ray at him too. That should keep his spell protections down. Then it's a matter of having hasted melee fighter with greater whirlwind hacking him to death.

Mariliths are easy peasy. Breach will quickly leave them exposed, and melee fighters on haste should have no trouble at all killing them.

8. Occula Gems: 2/31

Thanks again. I tried once more, lost, but at least it is beginning to seem more do-able now.

The fight, unfortunately, does not end with the DG's death. That happened to me the second time I tried...I thought once I'd killed the boss his minions would go down like hobgoblins, but those mariliths cut me and Minsc to shreads. Got to keep the mages alive long enough to help out.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.