1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo2- Blizzard's Troubleshooting doesn't help, so maybe someone here would?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by Twinkle, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Twinkle Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Funny thing is- usually when a game crashes it does so from the start. nooo, I must have all the INTERESTING cases, right?! :mad:

I bought Diablo2 when it first arrived in the stores (yess, this time it even was an ORIGINAL version, unlike everything else! cheers to Twinkle!) and played it from the start to the end on the -don't laugh- P166 that I had back then. if I remember correctly I had a videocard of 4mb on that thing.

time passed, and I decided that there's no logical reason to my torment, and bought a new pc: P4-1600 with a GeForce2 64 mb card. I didn't even try playing Diablo2 again, cause... you know- I finished it! but about a month ago I decided to retry, and... as you probably guessed- it crashed. didn't work for a minute- simply gives me the FATAL ERROR dialog box and then tells me the Diablo2 CD isn't in the drive... (?!) I reinstalled a few times with different installation types, and it still crashed. :confused:

I went to Blizzard's site, browsed through their troubleshooting advices, and after I discovered that old videocard drivers must be my problem (?!) I pointed my browser to nvidia.com and downloaded the latest ones. of course, it didn't help.

what now?!... :help:

[ August 10, 2002, 12:55: Message edited by: Twinkle ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sounds like the same CD copy protection issue as with NWN. Try installing the latest patch manually. If you have another CD drive, try playing from that one. If that doesn't help, get a no-CD crack somewhere. If all of this fails, you're screwed, more or less.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Maybe you also should run that VideoTest file after you've installed the new drivers.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I just got done playing through it and LoD, on a tbird 1400 and a GF2 Ultra.

Under Xp, so I don't know about Ms-Dos (read: Win9x/Me).

Worked great, so it sounds like a driver issue.

5. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

LOL.

Maybe it's a sign... and you should take the hint and NEVER PLAY THAT GAME AGAIN as it is terribly addicting and completely mindless!!

*sigh*
    I'll be on USEast tonight...

Anyway, are you using WindowsXP or 2k? If it's 2k I may have in idea...

6. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have exactly the same system as you; P-4 1600 with the same videocard as you have, and Win Me (came with the PC, otherwise I wouldn't have used it). I installed Diablo 2 + Extension several months ago with absolutely no problem at all, and there's no trouble whatsoever playing it... which I've done quite frequently :D
    So I don't think there should be anything wrong with your system.

But I had exactly your problem when installing BG2 - it didn't recognize the CD at all - and that turned out to be the copy protection. I had to download a patch to be able to use it. It depends on which country you are in, because some CD's are sensitive to the copy protection in certain parts of Europe. Seems like what works in USA doesn't work in Europe and vice versa... So look for a patch designed for the copy protection in your country.

7. Twinkle Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Oh. thanks people.

1. I ran the videotest! it's useless.

2. I have Windows 98. (yes, it was done on purpose...)

3. I use a DVD not a CD, but... does it make a difference? anyhow, I should find that patch and try it out... where can I find it?

8. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Find some gaming sites for Diablo 2 that have downloads - I'm sure you'll find patches there.
    If everything else fails, search the site of the manufacturer for your dvd-player...

[ August 16, 2002, 14:18: Message edited by: Blue ]

9. Astra Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I had the same problem with my D2 CDs. If you have a CD burner or a friend with one, burn copies of your installation discs, then use those to install the game. I'm not sure exactly why it works, but it installed flawlessly on my system.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

In the US, only the second disk (the play disk) has a form of copy protection.

There is absolutely no form, whatsoever, on disks 1 and 3. They are just data disks that can be backed up with any writer.

The second disk uses a modified "secure rom" protection. It has a bit of an EFM overloader, so you have to have a compatible burner. It's not nearly as restricting as the safedisk2, but it was a precursor to SD2. Although, clonecd with "boost weak sectors" will back it up on any drive that can also read the subcode.

That said, I've always used the nocd "patch". I crash my computer too often to have to play mickey mouse gamez with the installer.

I've played this, recently, on a p2-266 laptop running XP. It's not real pretty, and only when the action gets really intense does it studder.

D2 is like Unreal Tournament; coded for voodoo, with d3d thrown in at the last minute. If you're having problems, stick with directdraw.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.