1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Difference in Short and Long bows?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Haymaker D'apeon, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Haymaker D'apeon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What are the major differences in short and long bows?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Dictionary says for long bows this:
    A powerful wooden bow drawn by hand; usually 5-6 feet long; used in medieval England.

Short bow should be shorter than it, do you agree?

3. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Unless it's a giants shortbow versus a human's longbow... Then the shortbow would be bigger, do you agree?

4. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Aside from the obvious length differences, a short bow will generally have a recurve while a long bow does not...

Never judge a man by the length of his bow :)

5. Haymaker D'apeon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hey thanx for the lexical definition, but i should have been more specific. What is the difference between the two in BG2? .

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Damage I think, (never used 'em really) but here goes.

The longbow requires more strength because the string is much tighter, due to this, the arrow will fly longer (not a factor in bg thouhg) and hit harder. In BG2 I think the longbow has +1 or more to damage, and that is the only difference I can think of. Perhaps the speedfactor is a bit lower for the shortbow...

7. Captain Spud Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Lokken has it...only, its a bonus to hit instead of damage...

in BG2 id give myself proficienies(?) in a short bow due to the fact that the infinite arrow bows are short bows...

[This message has been edited by Captain Spud (edited June 04, 2001).]

8. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I forget if this applies to all shortbows but the gesen shortbow is slower than a longbow.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Although I don't know if this was implemented in the games, in P&P a longbow has a greater range than a shortbow; on the order of 60% farther.

10. Captain Spud Gems: 5/31

i havent noticed any difference in range...

11. Gyko Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you guys just look in your manual :p and the tables you'll see the following:

Composite Long Bow ROF=2, Speed Factor=7, Bonus to Hit=+1, Bonus to Damage=+2

Long Bow ROF=2, Speed Factor=8, Bonus to Hit=+1, Bonus to Damage=0

Short Bow ROF=2, Speed Factor=6, No Bonusses
    Hope this helps ;)

12. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

in bg1 when you had an invisible person in your party who could see the enemy, your archer could hit him without the enemy spotting you first, this is not possible with shortbows, so the range is better

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Shortbows are generally used by riding folk for it is easier to handle when riding a horse than a full length longbow. Mongols and the arabs used it frequently and developed remarkable skill in using it from the back of a horse at full speed effectively. It was the basic bow of the greek archers (mostly skyths) and there it has the recurved form that has been give to the composite longbow.

Traditional shortbow are basically made of composite and are quite tricky to tense - greek drawing show that it has to be done by fixing it with your knee and leg to be able to use both arms ot actually curve it to hook in the string. Maybe some of you remember the great tale of ulysses return ...

These bows should be very effective - despite that shortbows in BG-2 don´t get any boni - so it turns out to be just a short longbow without boni. Disappointing.

btw - it isn´t just the tension of the string that results in the velocity of the arrow - it is the length of the arms of the bows that allow it to be pulled longer without requiring more power (as a result of mechanics) - actually you´d find a shortbow more difficult to draw than a longbow, Lokken.

(Ragusa is implementing his profound childtime experience as his bunchs main bowmaker here ;) ).

14. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I like the short bows in BG2. Their speed factor is lower as pointed out above. And most of the enchanted short bows are significantly faster. Tungian Bow is a shortbow and my favorite bow in the game, you can get it early on too. My take on the matter is if you have a character strong enough to use a compound bow + whatever more that likely this character is one of your melee fighters. Now a short bow delivers more arrows faster giving you more chances to hit a target than the slower compound bows. There are plenty of good arrows in the game that allow you to get extra damage in. Take advantage of the speed, choose short bows.

15. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

If we're going to veer from BGII to reality...

The Greek and persian bows where composite recurves, composite meaning made of laminated materials.

Longbows rely on the length of the lever arm, and in the case of the classic english long bow, the bow stave was cut so that the inner half of the bow was made of heart wood and the outer half of sap wood, giving the advantage of a laminate. Does that make sense? the bow stave was cut vertically along the dividing line between those two layers of wood.

The "shortbow" in D&D is the most primitive type of bow, non-recurve and non laminated, and generally under 5 feet with a 30-45 pound draw at most.

One thing the game could use is the difference present in AD&D between war and flight arrows.

[This message has been edited by jester1137 (edited June 04, 2001).]

16. Captain Spud Gems: 5/31

i would just like to know how many people here actually shoot bows? i do and i prefer good old long bows as opposed to these modern composite bows. first, composite bows are just to easy to pull back and aim. second, composite bows are alot more expensive in that they require more maintnance:i.e., replacing the gears and strings.

i prefer the challenge of long bows and just the riviting feeling of not knowing when the string will snap...

Edit: unless your long bow was a hand-me-down, you wont find one for under $100...at least not anywhere i have been in the states...

[This message has been edited by Captain Spud (edited June 05, 2001).]

17. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

I may be wrong here, but I think that the 'composite' in todays composite bows refers to the system of pulleys that give the user a mechanical advantage for drawing the string back. As far as ancient bows go, the length of the bow generally dictated how 'hard' it could fire an arrow, but the type of wood also played a role in this.

EDIT: BTA to the rescue... you are correct - Compound - Composite - such similar words. I'm beginning to think that english is really only my second or third language ;)

[This message has been edited by Lord Moeken (edited June 05, 2001).]

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The modern bow with pulleys is a 'compound' bow. A 'composite' bow is a composite of different materials such as different woods, horn and bone (or graphite layers and epoxy in modern times :) ).

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 05, 2001).]

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Composite usually means using some different materials (layered for example) in a single structure. In the case of the old composite bows the composites were made of wood, bone and horn.

These bows with a block-and-tackle system are named "compound"-bows - that´s the kinda bow dear john rambo used to wipe out enemy arnmies ;) :D

EDIT: Too late ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 05, 2001).]

20. jester1137 Gems: 5/31

I own 7 bows, and shoot almost every morning.
    I own a compound bow, but I don't use it much. The only really nice feature about them is that you can tune them to a pretty wide range of draw weights, mine can be set anywhere from 65-85 pounds.

I used it the one time I ever went bow hunting..it's nice not to worry about wet strings or warped staves. I put an arrow 3 inches behind the shoulder and had to follow that buck for 12 hours. All I can say is that in age where we have firearms, bow hunting is inhumane. A 30-06 would have dropped that buck instantly.

I also used to compete in SCA archery competition using all period gear. I'm still wondering how the hell these game designers figured ANY long bow wheighed ten pounds :) they really under rate how fast a light cross-bow can be loaded and fired too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.