1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DII: Backwards?

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by Mithrilhammer, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Does anyone else have the problem of going through a doorway and all of a sudden your character is running backwards?! It doesn't really seem to affect the game, it's just incredibly irritating. Does anyone know if there's a patch or something for this, or if not, how it might be fixed?

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Haha. Sounds like Ultima Online where you were running, lagged, then jumped back a few steps.

For the oh, 10 hours I've played Diablo 2 since buying it, I never came across such a problem. But then, I got pretty bored of it very quickly so perhaps that's why. I only finished Act 1 and called it quits.

IWD for me baby ;)

Sylvus

3. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

Oh...... don't get me wrong, IWD, BG, and BGII for me too but I've played IWD through twice and BG four times. I'm waiting ever so patiently for BGII but it seems everyone is already getting it when my store is still saying "Baldur's Gate 2 was discontinued over a year ago"... You can imagine the poor guy's surprise when I told him it was new. (and yes I know there WAS an old Baldur's Gate 2 out there once). Of course, by that point all I said was "Nevermind, I'll check somewhere else".

Anyyyway..... the whole point was that I was playing D2 to pass the time while I eagerly await BGII. And D2 does have some great gaming qualities, I enjoy it but I'll always and forever be a Forgotten Realms girl. ;)

4. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I'm with mithralhammer, for some reason the Realms have the allure that diblo is lacking in. Played through diablo2 once, and got bored of it, but i always go back to the realms.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually the title Baldur's Gate is unique for a CRPG.
    True, the city has appeared in numerous ad&d games during the years, but still there was no game by that name.
    Maybe you're thinking of Bard's Tale? (The only thing that sounds similar to BG that I can think of).

6. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

No, believe it or not Taluntain, the guy at the store showed me the listing. There was a very unpopular game of the same name a couple of years ago. At first, I thought the guy was crackers and that's why I kept telling him that it was brand new. He looked it up on the computer and found the new listing release date (October--I won't be going to that store to get it!) but he also showed me a previous listing for Baldur's Gate II. Of course, it could've been a mistake in their computer but it said on his screen "Discontinued 1998".. I don't remember what month. Go figure. Maybe they entered the title wrong with whatever game it was. Does anyone else know if it really was a game or not?

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Ah the realms Vermillion, a place I have visted many times as a Dungeon Master over the years. It's a world full of stories and anyone who's played in these worlds have stories to tell let me tell you! ;) It's more than a game as you get older, it becomes an epic tale, a book of sorts or movie, that you direct with a group of friends and as each creative minds weave their own tales into that growing ball of energy, you do the same and it's nothing like any book or movie could ever be like. That's my attraction to Forgotten Realms more than anything, it's that connection you make between 4 or 6 people, were for a few hours a week, you leave everything at the door and walk in with a clear mind and leave feeling refreshed.

Syl...

8. Mithrilhammer Gems: 5/31

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Diablo 2 is great! I'm that close to completing IWD for the first time, but I haven't played it for ages! My now lvl 31 amazon just totally kick ass! Just started act 2 on nightmare, and it's just so great I even dropped my soccer practice yesterday just to gain some experience! :D

Going to play D2 for the whole weekend now. Me and my totally-addicted-to-D2-friend. He's got a lvl 41 amazon. :) But sure, we'll play a bit with my lvl 21 necro and his lvl 21 sorceress too.

10. Ok, I am probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but...

I beat Icewind Dale once and will probably never play it again. I beat Diablo 2 with 2 characters already, and am working on it with a third (plus playing the first 2 again on harder difficulty levels).

Actually, the two games are very similar in a way, they both offer tons of non-stop combat, more monsters than you can shake a sword at, tons of goodies (IWD less so though), and almost nothing else.

But while Diablo's arcade style play is very addicting for me, I don't find that formula that well suited for a true RPG. It's not that I don't like the combat in IWD, it's just that there's sooo much of it, and very very little in the way of story, quests, or things to do other than fight, fight fight.
    Towards the end of Icewind I really had to push myself to play and finish the game.

Baldur's Gate had a lot of little side quests, constant rewards, and interesting happenings. You weren't constantly surrounded by monsters.

I also ran into problems early in IWD because I didn't know that you could rest almost anywhere, and would up having to trek the whole way back to town constantly to heal up. To me, the ability to rest anywhere and gain ALL your health back seems, I dunno, out of place or something. Maybe I'm just too used to BG...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.