1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do guys have a distinct odor?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Bateluer, May 10, 2002.

1. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

A girl was telling me that most guys smell similar.

I know I smell like BO, but not all guys smell like me, I think.

Opinion?

2. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Mine is Old Spice Red Zone deoderant.

3. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

I cover BO with Brute :p

4. sorvo Guest

I'm sure she's refering to your sweat! Some girls like the smell of a man;)

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"A girl was telling me that most guys smell similar. I know I smell like BO"

Translation:
    "Your whole race stinks."

Was she miffed at you or something?

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never have I noticed what men smell, I can only speak for my self. Either I dont smell anything or I smell like sweat due to lack of showering or because of physical exertion.

I can howewer make a statement about women. It seems that every female smells the same, no matter what scent they are wearing. This has a me a little baffled but atleast for me it is undoubtely so. A mighty fine smell I must say, smell like "woman" :D
    But that all of them smell the same might be a bit boring in the long run.

7. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I dont know what I smell like. Probley BO or Speed Stick with a mix of shampo:lol:

8. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Lokken smells suspiciously like Kitiara.

9. "You have the stench of goodness about you, paladin" - A lich, said to me, before I kicked his bony @$$

10. herf Guest

Joacqin, I have to disgree. In my experience most girls smell differently from other girls, and most girls smell nice.

I love giving my girlfriend my shirt to wear, when I get it back it smells of her and I like it :D

I have a friend, and he constantly stinks of BO, no matter how much he showers or how much deodrant he wears he always stinks, the smell is really stifling... Sitting beside him is a real bitch...

Personally I either smell of sweat after I've done sports, my deodrant or just no smell at all I reckon... Considering it's quite hard to define our own smells from those around us I can't really tell...

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Interesting. I can think of three different studies I've read about that were based on the premise that every man has a distinguishable, unique smell:

1) One study claimed to prove that a significant percentage of women could identify clothing their husbands had worn just once, by smell alone.

2) One study claimed that a good predictor of whether a marriage was likely to lead to divorce was whether a woman thought her fiance had a tendency to unpleasant body odours.

3) One study that alarmed the heck out of me had 100 men sleep in a new t-shirt, then asked 100 women to rate the smell of those t-shirts according to sexual attractiveness. Later, they showed the same women videos of the 100 men and asked them to rate the men according to sexual attractiveness again. The researchers claimed that women who'd never taken the birth control pill usually rated the same men highest both by smell and appearance. Women who were currently taking the birth control pill were all over the map. And subsequently they somehow demonstrated that the women NOT on the pill had chosen the smell of men who were most likely to impregnate them (I can't remember if this was a genetic compatibility or simple sperm count thing). Now, is that weird or what? I can't verify whether this or any of the other studies had any actual scientific merit, of course. But it's very interesting.

Science aside, I've known men who smelled terrible in different ways and men who smelled wonderful (to me, anyway!) in different ways. Women too. But I think there probably is an underlying "male" odour, and a different "female" one, which is probably what some people mean when they say all men or women smell the same?

12. Well, I might be young, but guys at my age still smell all in all: bad.
    Some guy goes to the dance in a heavy sweatshirt with dozens of deoderant, which ends up smelling worse than usually sweat does. Some other guy breakdances all day and he doesn't smell good, since his sweat. Some other guy doesn't take a shower. He smells the worst. They all smell bad unless they have just come out of the shower, which I know I doubt.

13. Punk Slacker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm the chick Batty was talking about. I'm sorry to tell you but all you guys smell the same....or pretty much. But i love the smell...it's like sweet but sour a the same time. Keep that smell please....

14. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"The stench of evil is strong around this one..." said the Solar to the dark swordsman before he got a new orifice cut out for him in his holy a$$.

Heh. Just had to do this, after seeing that self-righteous post just now...

15. Vladimir Furey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Bah, not all guys smell bad..like me for example. I make sure to shower twice a day--I always wear Adidas aftershave(nice smell) and adidas deodorant. Only at a few certain times do I smell(like a goat I think):
    I)If I stay home for a week without going out, which happens sometimes in summer
    II)After a riveting game of Mechwarrior 4 online. Now that'll get yea goin!

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would just like to point out that showering twice a day is very bad for you. You are destryoing both your skin and your hair.
    I will not even comment on using adidas deoderant... :p

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Men sweat a lot more than women. Of course we have more trouble with smelling good at all times.

18. Bateluer Gems: 11/31

How does showering twice a day destroy your skin and hair?

We had a brazilian student staying with us for a few months a while back. I swear, that guy took 3 showers a day, cost us a bloody fortune.

19. joacqin

Media:
    You dry out your skin, making it dry and harsh. As for your hair you actually make it more greasy :) When the hair is washed often it too gets dry, to prevent it from getting too dry the body produces more grease, thus you get greasier hair and "need" to shower more. Bad circle

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.