1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you think Abi-Dalzim's HW is too strong?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Farthy, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] It's ridiculously powerful. I beat the Twisted Rune room having Nalia cast Time Stop and Abi to kill Laylene and her pit fiend. Shangalar died in a similar way while the other three people were easily killed by my cavalier of course. None of my people took a scratch.

This is only one example. I've had a bunch of battles where Nalia casts Time Stop and then the wilting. I feel almost like I'm cheating...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  2. Xenomorph Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It's strong indeed but it's as in PnP exept for the fact that he's party friendly and that is what make it very powerful. Heh, it's a level 8 spell and they are supposed to be powerful:heh:

3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

'Tis very powerful but as you say; it's a lvl 8 spell. Also my favourite :lol:

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When your level is high enough to cast and memorize Abi Dalzim's, mages can do incredible things even with lower level spells. I once made cute little Aerie casting timestop (from scroll) and then nasty combination:
    A sequencer with 2xdoom (+4 on all saving throws), followed by another sequenced doom & greater malison (just to be sure it works: +10 malus on all st's) & stone to flesh ... or maybe take polymorph ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 06, 2002).]

5. ArchAngel Guest

Well in SoA 9th spell level "Timestop" is not an "rest and cast" option. With ToB comes higher level and most fights get horridly ;) easy. Timestop has near infinite cool stategies.

Doom rocks! Doom is comulative! They are all doomed :D

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited April 06, 2002).]

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Yep and that makes mage-clerics so interesting :D You can beaf up even mediocre spells by using a doom spell as an "enabler" in a sequencer. IMO the five sequencers, Timestop and improved alacrity give the mage almost infinite possibilities when handled creatively.

Also nice to fight mindflayers is this evergreen: Summon 5 (as many as possible) skelettons with a high level cleric (or mage; anyway, about lvl-18+), cast defensive harmony, bless, protection from evil and haste on them and send them in a mindflayer lair :D

7. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You bastards :p. What has ever happened just with barging into the room and killing everyone with a brainless Berserker =)

If Abi-Dalzim is too strong for you (im assuming you play on CORE rules), try Hard or even Insane. That will boost the difficulty of the fights a bit.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Desu (edited April 06, 2002).]

8. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Surely Abi-Dalzim's a powerful spell, but when I think to all the times a nasty lich or other mage cast it on my party, I really feel I deserve it.

This is the beauty of mages and sorcerers (especially mages) in SoA and ToB: you can play with your spells to gain the most powerful effects. Easy smashing? Time Stop + AbiDalzim. Funny effect? Greater Malisons + Polymorph. Gambling? Sphere of Chaos or Prismatic Spray. Want to personally whack down your enemies? Tenser's Trasformation, Protection from Magical Weapons, Black Blade of Disaster, Improved Haste. That is, you can create your own style of spellcasting.

My definitely favourite, e.g., is drinking a WIS-enhancing potion, casting Wish, getting the Double Length Time Stop+Improved Alacrity, then casting in a sequence: Blur-Mirror Image-Stoneskin-Spirit Armor-Improved Invisibility-Breach (if needed)-Protection from Magical Weapons-Improved Haste-Black Blade of Disaster-Tenser's Trasformation, then going and killing. After getting the Robe of Vecna I made a test: I CLUA-created three Firkraags, talked to them to make them neutral, then went with the described technique. Two of them were dead before touching me, and the third didn't take much longer.

Final Note: are multiple castings of Doom or Greater Malison cumulative? I think this makes the instant-killing technique a little bit too powerful.

9. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

OMG. Your fav is truly wonderful :)

As for the question, yes, doom is cumulative, but Greater Malison, no bloody idea.

Cheers.

10. C'Jakob Guest

If Abi's HW is too easy for you, try Incedinary Cloud. It does much more damage than AHW, but affects everyone, and lasts a turn. I've used it to great effect vs. Koshi, Ketta, and Co. and Beholders.

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For who is interrested: I tried Greater Malison on several creatures and checked their stats...Greater Malison was not cumulative. :(

12. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Yep, and that's what makes a certain mage-clerics so extremely attractive, besides beeing cute, blonde and little of course ... ;)

(doom is cumulative and it can be sequenced ... ;) )

13. Israfel Gems: 4/31

I don't think you need the poor "ohmygodmywingshavebeencutandnowIcantwatchfootballmatchesfromoverforfreeanymore" to use the infinite fun of cumulative Doom castings - every common cleric can cast Finger of Death, and given the short casting time I don't think you need many arcane quickcasting trick. However, I'm gonna have Viconia try this on my next strong foe.

14. Ragusa

Media:
    I have once casted this lvl-6 cleric spell that reduces the victim's hp to 1 on a dragon, after that one more slap with the hammer of lightning and Firekraag was history - pretty impressive, just like the cleric's poison spell.

However, I like Chromatic Orb and unfortunately most enemies save against it on higher level, sequencing it with doom or casting greater Malison before are the only way to get it to work then. However, though I have Aerie in my party for a while now I never made her cast doom though ... but I don't have the minor sequencer yet ;) She's not in my party for cumulative doomcasting alone ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 14, 2002).]

15. yappie! Guest

1. Could anyone please tell me WHERE the twisted rune are, i've got my Rouge Stone ready but i cant find them in the Bridge District.

2. When you say fights in ToB become easy with Time Stop etc... Remember that towards the Middle-End, most enemies become invulnerable to it.!!

16. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Twisted rune .... never heared of that ... though the sheer quantity of topics I found using the search engine hints to that there is something ... :p

As usual these topics are full of spoilers - so beware. And since I found myself eager enough to post all these links I can tell you myself just as well. The twisted rune is one of the most challenging fights in BG-2 SoA ... and you'll get to the location of the fight by entering a locked and trapped door in the dock's district. The door is next to the house where you find the man in red (buried alive quest) ... just stop where you found him and search for traps. You'll need a roguestone to enter.

Just a few of the links about the twisted rune: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001223.html http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001025.html http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004098.html http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002874.html

Good fun :)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 14, 2002).]

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't care for immunity to Time Stop as it is not applicable in SoA. To be more precise, effect hex 136 (decimal 310) which is immunity to Time Stop is not the part of Shadows of Amn nor can be used in Shadows of Amn - it simply doesn't exist in BGmain.exe. It belongs to Throne of Bhaal ONLY and you may use it only if you have that add-on installed.

Abi-Dhalzim is a spell as any other thus it is not too strong. Remember that although you cast it, enemies also cast it from time to time. If you may lose all party by it, why wouldn't you wipe out some other party with it?

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 15, 2002).]

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Some speels are powerfull, yes, but if you use a good combination all spells could be. Like Ragusa said: Chromatic Orb, it's only level 1, but when you use some spells like Greater Malison, it could beat the higher level spells.

Abi's Wilting is powerful too, especially when combined with some other spells, but they are supposed to be and i don't think they are too powerfull. Sorcerers can do wicked things with this, though....

19. Israfel Gems: 4/31

About Doom... it's not cumulative. I cast 7 of them on one of my party members and her saving throws were lowered only by 2. Sorry.

20. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    About Doom... t's cumulative. I cast 3 of them on one of my opponents and its saving throws were lowered by 6.

Keep in mind that their ST's won't be higher then 20, so dont bother trying it on pesky creatures like gibberlings...if you even wanted to try it on such creatures...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.