1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you think BG2 as a book?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by xnnixq, Jul 19, 2003.

1. xnnixq Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I'm asking for the players/readers opinions about the game. Do you ever think the game as a book? Have you read the books? What good books do you know? Have you even ever heard of the books? Did you know that all of the game is based on the books? Any comments or short yapps for me. :idea:

[ July 22, 2003, 13:16: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Theres a book?!?

Can you buy it on SP?

3. xnnixq Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] The whole things, characters, equpment, even spells are based on many Forgotten Realms Books that you can get from libraries from the fantasy section.

4. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yeah, thanx. I've just had a look. Theres loads of them! Pity I don't have the time to read them :nolike:

5. xnnixq Gems: 2/31

You can always have time to read books if you have time to be on the computer... :grin:

6. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Books....there a bunch of them. And when I say a bunch I mean A LOT!!! Just spend some time in softwares that can download them (sorry..I don't think I am supposed to post their names here...but I downloaded some...actually it were more than 30 books in PDF) or take a few hours of your day at search sites..you can be sure you'll be just overweighted with the quantity of them!

7. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Are you referring simply to all the books based in The Forgotten Realms? Or do you refer specifically to the books on the Baldur's Gate series. If not, this doesn't really belong here.

There are very many FR books, and only a small number of them take place on the sword coast. I think I've read at least 30 FR books in the past two or three years. A lot of good ones out there. The BG books didn't look very good though. I flipped through the first and second and they didn't look like they were worth the read. I didn't want to risk ruining the game by being reminded of a bad book.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Silver Bear

Please post the link for the site(s) with the books on :)

If the overzealous mods on this forum have a dig! just tell em i told u to! lol

9. xnnixq Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Yah, what I mean is that like Drizzt, Wulfgar and others like spells or stuff are from the books? But the main question was that do you ever think the game as a book or do you play it more as a game? I'll try to have a look where you can look into them, Malo? :wave:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can buy all the books on SP. See http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_fr.php

Though the BG books are crappy, especially the first one.

Spitfire, you need to go read the forum rules you agreed to follow upon registering. Use of any form of |33t ("u" instead of "you" etc.) is forbidden on these forums. As are any discussions about illegal material such a warez, be it games, books or whatever.

Rather buy them though SP and help support this site.

Also, this now belongs more into the Booktalk forum, so I'm moving it there.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I happen to think of the Final Fantasy games as more like interactive books than RPGs... :D

12. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

they really would make great books now that i think of it.

13. Arabwel

Media:
    Heh, there actually are at kleast a few fan-made novel versions somewhere out there... considered fanfic, of course.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Please stick to the topic (which is BG2 as a book).

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I've heard a few things:

1) the books involving BG1 and SofA were horribly written.

2) All the books follow the CRPG plots rather loosely.

*Spoiler*
    3) I've never been able to pick them up because I've heard that both Jaheira and Imoen die quite horribly. Not a very satisfying ending for somebody who's a fan of both of them.

16. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Beren: I've read them and everything you wrote is true. Don't buy the books, they suck!!

17. Arabwel

Media:
    Note to self, get those books...

If they DO suck so bad, I recommend the fanwritten versions that are available somewhere in SP...

18. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've read the BG books.

Two words: They suck.

Slightly off topic here: The Planescape novel isn't so bad, though it does not live up to the majesty of the CRPG.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.