1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragonlance sweeping away Forgotten Realms?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Faerus Stoneslammer, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

At the bookstore I frequent, I've found that over the past few years, Forgotten Realms (FR) has really died down, while Dragon Lance (DL) has exploded in the amount of books on the shelves. In a single year, the FR shelf has gone from an entire, 4'x4' shelf, to a row-and-a-half on a single shelf, while DL has done the exact opposite.
    Is this just where I live, or is it a relatively common phenomenon?

[ February 28, 2003, 12:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

It's probably because the freaks that do Dragonlance come out with books every 5 seconds which leads to a lot of books becoming useless drivel. Always Remember: quality over quantity.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So ... where are the games set in the Dragonlance universe? I would love to be a Solomic Knight riding a bronze dragon into battle!

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think up to now the problem was representing dragons faithfully... And the fact that all previous Dragonlance games were crap. I don't know why they're not making any now though. Dragons sell. Good games with many dragons sell even better.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So with the advent of NWN and the toolset, has anyone made a DragonLance module?

I know we're all *supposed* to be die-hard Forgotten Realms fans, but I gotta say, Kyrnn was among my first loves.

Does that mean I'm old, or just a geek ... or both :eek: :lol: :spin:

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, there are DL modules out there, but we're going off topic now...

7. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yea it does,but there sooooooo many sucker books among DL books,i suggest everyone to read any book that is written by Margaret Weis,and not the books like "The Gully Dwarves".But as we know FR has Salvatore,Greenwood,Cunningham etc...

8. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Sorry but I'm closer to DL than FR. Not all DL books not by Weis suck! Maybe those by other authors are not as good but many of them are very good. You just need to get rid of your hangups to enjoy them!

9. Khelben Gems: 15/31

I know,I like Richard A Knaak(especially Legend of Huma) or Jean Rabe(Dragons of a New Age). But i just couldn't ignore that there are more crap Dragonlance books there than Forgotten Realms. And i think there are more talented authors who write Forgotten Realms(Salvatore,Cunningham, Greenwood,Denning....)

10. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

On contrary I'd say that Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are far more famous and better than all Forgo-authors to square! Salvatore and Greenwood are maybe good, but none of their fast-action-and-casted sagas can't compare with Weis&Hickman's "Dragonlance Cycle" - Chronicles, Legends, Tales and War of the Souls, not talking about "Deathgate Cycle" and "Darksword tetralogy"!

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have said it before but anyone that claims that Weis/Hickman's Dragonlance books are great literature have not read much books. The deathgate cycle is brilliant but Weis' involvement in the superficial and standardized Dragonlance novels are a mystery to me.
    I am no super fan of FR but compared to the dragonlance books I have read they are alot better.

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] IMO Death Gate is better than Chronicles...
    Death Gate books are really great but i was kinda disappointed with The Seventh Gate.It left questions in my mind.I also didn't like War of Souls very much(currently reading Dragons of a Lost Star).I am depressed with the atmosphere. Reading Elminster/Drizzt seems better to me at this point.But arguing this is pointless,everyone has different tastes.
    I haven't read Darksword serie yet.Is it better than Chronicles or Legends?,or worth buying(i'm sure it is but...)

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would not recommend the Darksword books, not really bad but there are so much better fantasy out there. The best thing about them is the very interesting concept about a clash between a fantasy world and the modern world as it is now. Cool to read about tanks battling wizards and monsters but it could have been executed in a much better way.

14. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Joacqin -- I don't understand your skewed attitude toward DL -- particularly Weis & Hickman's Chronicles. I'm in the second book now and have been quite impressed with the tale they weave. The characters are interesting, the story quite spell-binding and there's an interesting infusion of humour, as well as sorrow. I think they are masters at setting up a scene, bringing the reader to the edge of his seat, wondering what happens next. Total thumbs up for me.

15. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I completely agree with you Frog. RA. Salvatore is just too darn good of a writer. How could any sane fantasy reader pass up his books. That's just my opinion though, and I actually don't know much about the DL books.

16. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well I have only read one Salvatore novel and I hope to read all the books with Drizzt. However I have read Night Masks from the Cleric Quintet (I think) and I felt the character development was somewhat, almost childish. I don't know how to explain it but I didn't like the book. Of course, neither had I read the preceeding books...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.