1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragonlance

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kartiel Darkstar, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I just read the Legends trilogy from Dragonlance, are the other books worth reading?

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

personally i prefer the FR setting, but my friends read dragonlance. they say the war of souls trilogy is pretty good, but as i only read the last one, Dragons of a vanished moon, i cant really give an informed opinion. is legend of huma any good?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The central books that carry the plot forward are worth reading, as well as some side books. Legend of Huma's a great book.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_dl.php

You can check the reviews of all of them at Amazon.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Personally I think that the first two trilogies (Chronicles and Legends) were pretty good and that just about everything else in the series is tripe.

If you really want to read more I would suggest to stick to the books by Weis and Hickman as in my experience those written by the numerous authors who no one has ever heard of before and will never hear of again tend to be very poorly written.

I almost always keep all of my books but I tossed out all of the non-Weis/Hickman Dragonlance books in my collection years ago.

Oh and Enagonios the entire Heroes series (which includes The Legend of Huma) is definitely included on my list of books that are an absolutely horrid waste of ink and paper.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's funny... there are 120 reviews of Legend of Huma on Amazon.com which ended up giving it 4.5 stars out of 5. Every Dragonlance reader I've spoken to recommended that one to me as good. Still, I haven't read it yet myself, so I can't really argue.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well Huma it is probably the best of the Heroes series but that really isn't saying much. Personally, I found that the story was far too rushed and that the quality of writing was very poor. If Weis and Hickman (or some other author who could actually write) had written it as a full trilogy it might have worked out more to my liking.

I did a quick search on the author and it seems that apart from his Dragonlance books that a Diablo novel is the pinacle of his work - why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hrm i guess id better stick to the FR novels then ;) but really, i wouldnt have picked up the dragons of the vanished moon hardcover if it wasnt on sale (i sh*t you not) for a dollar :eek: just couldnt pass it up :) also, i've read the 1st 2 novels of the Elven Nations trilogy and they weren't anything great. But for anyone who has read the last novel in that trilogy, the qualinesti, please tell me:

who poisoned speaker sithel in the 2nd novel?

[If anyone knows, please send this spoiler via PM, don't post it here.] -Tal

[ August 28, 2004, 21:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

8. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31

Thanks for the help, I am going to check out Chronicels just so I get a better understanding of Legends, thanks for your input.

ps: Are any of the heros from Legends and Chronicels in the other books?

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

huma comes out very briefly in Dragons of a Vanished Moon iirc.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

The heroes from the Chronicles and Legends are in some of the other books. There were several series (Preludes and Meetings instantly come to mind) that take place before Chronicles. Also, some of the characters appear in the stories that take place after Legends. I wouldn't bother with any of them - there are far better books out there that you could be reading.

11. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31

Again thanks for your input, are there any books with the same premiss for heroes as they were in Legends? I'm not a big fan of "good" heroes.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'd have to agree with JSBB, the best books are those by Weis & Hickman. And while I didn't find Legend of Huma to be so bad, it wasn't really on par. Not to mention there were several inconsistencies between Legend of Huma and the Chronicles trilogy.

I liked Chronicles, but I thought the Twins trilogy (this is Legends right?) was superior. This one was a really good read. Chronicles felt more like a role-playing game than a book (not too surprising since it did start out as an RPG)

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I have only read the Weis and Hickman stuff and I didnt find that to be very good. The twins stuff was readable but not very good and some of their other books were outright bad in my opinion. Make a search on this topic for more of my Dragonlance opinions. :)

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Heh, were just thinking of ordering that full trilogy of "Dragon of..." -serie, but Amazon sure have stuffed a lot of text to their site. Arses, I say; I'll visit a good book-store next time I'm in their neighbourhood. :shake:

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

in short, don't bother hehe ;) but im inclined to agree, have only read 3 Dragonlance novels (one by weis and hickman) but and imo they cant hold a candle to the FR setting novels :) especially WotSC, best series ever :eek:

16. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I've read a few a long time ago and can't recall all of them but I do still remember the The Legend Of Huma was my absolute favourite.

17. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I'd suggest the books detailing the exploits of the Draconian engineers (By Dopn Perrin, iirc), anything by Weis and Hickman, the Legend of Huma if only because it's cool, and of course the War of Souls deserves a special mention. I definitely liked the canny young Solamnic knight and the heroic, tragically lovelorn Knight of Takhisis...

Stay away from Jean Rabe, and I mean it... even if I loved the ending of the Dhamon saga. :p

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah yes, i can relate to that, Jean Rabe butchered what should have been a cool novel about thay in the FR setting. (Red Magic in the Harpers series)

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I just wish I could see what happend when Dhamon meets Gale again.... *sulk*

20. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I'm thinking of reading Dragonlance, but I'm not sure. I own some trilogy and I"ll be sure to read it anytime soon. Still occupied with FR, which I think is ok. Is Dragonlance actually that much different? Or is it only geographical?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.