1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dragons: fearsome or laughable?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dibermann, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Dibermann Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Dragons are known to be fearsome foes. They are immortal beings that only get strong with the time. Their race is one of the few a powerful adventurer should fear, no matter how strong he is. But in Baldur’s Gate (well, as far as I know, in any AD&D game) they are less than a joke for a mid-level party with a few preparations. Legends say they are heavy magical beings, plenty of strength and with almost no weaknesses. Even for a party right out of chateaux Irenicus they are fairly beatable. There are mods out there that buff them, but even they aren’t faithful to the true nature of dragons. My question is: what do you think dragons should be capable of in AD&D games? What spells they should be able to cast and what about their strategies? What can be done to make them as fearsome as they were meant to?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If they made Dragons too hard in BG then peopel probably wouldn't find it fun to battle them or even include them. They have to have some measure of beatability. If you think they are too easy set the difficulty to insane ONLY when you fight them and don't use spells on yourself.

I like the dragons and in the games yes I think they could/should be harder. But thatis how they are made in BG nothing we can do :heh:

DI Rulesets they are ELITE though :evil:

3. RX2000 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I finally just quit playing ToB at that one dragon.... I cant even remember his name now, but he's the one in front of Abizigal's lair. I tried and tried and tried to beat him but couldnt, so I finally just said !@$* it, and havent played BG since. ;)

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Draconis - the hardest Dragon in the game :xx:

now HE is a dragon! :D

5. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think it depends how prepared you are for the dragons when you encounter them. The first time through the game Firkraag wiped out my entire party and no matter how many reloads I went through I just couldn't get the better of him.

But after playing the game again and improving my tactics, I managed to kill him the second time round with a solo fighter/mage (time stop then pound him to mush before the spell ran out).

6. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The only thing they should try to give dragons in the game is the ability to fly! A swoop from the dragon, combined with his breathweapon makes a devastating monster. If he's seriously hurt he should also be able to run away, and wait until the party is weaker or the lower resistance spells are worn off. In PnP dragons really are so powerfull that sane adventurers rather not fight one, especially in 3rd.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Compared to the rest of the monsters in BG2, dragons are pretty tough! But you're right -- they are easier than they are made out to be.

8. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The thing with dragons in BG2 is that you have time to prepare, usually. In WK, you can scout him out , and the Draconis and Abazigal arenas are so big that you can use really long-range tactics to take them out, and Saladrex is susceptible to all your favourite tactics from SoA (blanketing with Clouldkill, millions of traps, etc). I find dragons in general to be quite easy IF I have the right kit and spells... Lower Reistance/Pierce Magic being the most important. The hardest dragon is undoubtedly Draconis - to deafeat him, I first whupped his human form as quickly as possible with summons and hideously buffed frontliners (Minsc, Keldorn , and Korgan). Then I inched forward my PC, who was a mage with the Robe of Vecna and the Staff of the Magi, so that he could let off his chain contingency which contained three Pierce Magics. I then cracked off a Doom and a Greater Malison, followed by the time-honoured Mage o' Cheesy Doom strategy - Improved Alacrity, Time Stop, Abi Dalzim's X 4...
    Needless to say, he was shortly toasted. Or wilted if you like :D .

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dragons are respectable for someone going through the game for the first time. Especially Draconis. But, once you know what you're doing ... they become very disappointing and very quickly.

Download the Tactics mode here at SP. With Firkraag and Nizidramanyiit, you really have to watch yourself.

Then there's the Improved Abazigal, also here at SP. Man, I'm a BG2 veteran who just finished the game again recently. Abazigal and his crew still forced me to reload 4 times before I got him.
    Still one of the funnest RPG battles of all time.

I kind of wish the tactics mode would do something about Saladrex and the Green Dragon in Watcher's Keep, since I think they remained un-modded, and therefore easy.

10. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I agree for the first time through they are quite tough enough.

But to experienced players even insane difficulty doesnt help. Improved dragons are mostly the same except that they prevent buffing and summoning beforehand.

So i find them not tough enough. As i have TDD i found them especialy laughable. I was placed in the same area as Underdark and i had to slay three dragons. It was really too easy. One of them should be ancestor of all dragons but he fell like a fly. :rolleyes:

But the most disturbing is the lack of magic they use. All any dragon casts in a battle agains me is haste, dragon breath and stoneskin - standard spells. Sometimes he manages to cast Greater malision. But then he falls :nolike:

11. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Draconis and Firkraag---OMG

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    All the dragons in BG are wimps compared to Klauth

Great red wyrm of the north :love: :shake:

13. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

All the tougher monsters are a challenge the first time you meet them.

I remember the first Lich I found killed my party rather quickly.

But last night the Lich in the Twisted Rune died before he got one spell off.

Carsomyr and Whirlwind attack with my Undead Hunter saw to that! ;)

Dragons are the same.
    I needed one reload to get Firkraag.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hopefully they all aren't as gullable as Hephaestus, the red dragon from the book "Sojurn".

Anyways, I think dragons in BGII are difficult enough when the game is on "Core Rules"...those wing buffets are a pain in the a$$. :rolling:

15. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Off Topic: Sorry guys, but I had just installed ToB and I'm really confused with such a large number of names of Dragons!!! I just encountered 4 (the Black one in Suldanesselar, Firkraag, Adelon in UnderDark, and the Shadow one in Temple Ruins)in SoA...where are the others?

On Topic: I found them hard in the first time, but after I got familiar with the game...phfew, they just don't make a scratch on me. So now I have to put the difficulty higher for them from...

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Spoilers ahoy:

Well, there's Draconis, and his daddy Abazigail. (You'll meet them in due time) There's also another dragon in some caves (whom you don't have to fight but can talk your way through) before Draconis and Abazigail iirc. And there's also a dragon in the ninehells. (SoA) Watcher's Keep also holds a dragon.

I tell ya, Baldur's Gate 2 must have used up all liches and dragons in all of Faerun :grin:

[ March 09, 2003, 12:45: Message edited by: Faragon ]

17. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think the main thing they can do to improve the difficulty in this respect is to stop trying to make things balanced, I prefer the type of game that encourages you to become as powerful as possible and where the enemies don't have a exploitable weakness because you're tough enough not to need one. That said they seem powerful enough as they are though it also seems to be more a question of luck when attacking them. The dragons in the original game have pitfully low hp and can be taken out with a few lucky swipes from a sword.

18. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

They are harder in some ways, easier in others, than they should be.

First, because they rely on scripts, they aren't are smart as they should be. A real dragon could better counter whatever tactic a party tried to use. It's even worse that they'll watch you lay traps around them. I mean, wurms are supposed to be smart, right?

Second, their breath weapons aren't as strong as they should be, according to the *real* rules (yeah, that would be first edition). Damage isn't supposed to be variable, it's supposed to equal the dragon's maximum hit points--now that would hurt with as many hit points as they've got in SOA/TOB!

Third, unless you install the upgrade mods, you never encounter multiple dragons.

On the other hand, they've got way more hit points than they should have (huge, ancient red dragons had 88 hit points in first edition--again, the *real* rules). I guess they need these in the BG world that is so oversaturated with magic items (with apparently only two beings in the universe that know how to make a magic item, one by repairing broken stuff, and another who watches Home & Garden television!).

Also, they're never asleep, so you can't ever sneak up on them (unless you happen to be a John in a Trademeet brothel), which makes them harder on the whole than they should be.

Beyond that, you can't subdue them, so you always end up fighting to the death--that makes them harder too.

And they aren't really all that evil, so that they tend to show more mercy and patience than they ought to instead of just killing you for fun.

And the whole avatar thing is totally beyond the realm of what a dragon should be. I mean, polymorphing oneself is one thing, but having two whole lives so that a change from humanoid to dragon totally heals and restores you while the attacking party waits silently and motionless for you to alter your form and renew your attack? Yeah, right.

Anyway, many traditional stories about dragons don't paint them as that incredible. Take Smaug (from the Hobbit)--he was felled by one arrow. Lots of other stories tell of dragons that are taken out by a single champion (St. George, etc.). In historical art works, they are often a lot smaller than we find them in the BG series. They're supposed to be bad, but they aren't the worst thing you can encounter. Granted, it makes game play more challenging (especially on the replay) if they are more buffed, but that doesn't really fit the more traditional literary picture of dragons.

19. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I last night was soloing a beserker level 21. He had 1 WW and 1 GWW attack as HLAs. I had the Dragon Helm and the Shield that resists fire and the Ring of Fire Resistance all the stuff from the Windspear Hills dungeon.

I did a beserk rage, swallowed a speed potion and a potion of Frost Giant strength.

I went down to Firkraag and I killed him with the WW attacks in 2 and a half rounds. That was such a joke, because I used the Frostreaver axe and that was the secondaty weapon I use.

I said to myself repeatedly, how sad, how lame.

It is only a game, but it made dragons seem a joke. He spent all the time casting spells instead of biting my head off or burning me up!

If only it was Smaug...

20. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well I can say I am a veteran player of BG2 and that dragon are easy. But the thing is now they are easy.

I will not believe that when you encountered Firkraag the first time, when you hadn't even the knowledge he was there, you beat the crap out of him.

I must have died at least 5 times before I got him the first time. The thing is that dragons may seem easy right now but that's only because you know *how* to beat them. You didn't know the first time and you most certainly died the first time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.