1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Drowning in Mods

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by PennyAnte, Apr 19, 2005.

1. PennyAnte Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've reinstalled ToB and need some mod advice. This first time though, I'm looking primarly for a purist experience that incorporates the maximum amount of bug fixes, game improvements and "development oversight" adjustments that don't cross over into cheats.

I added the last Baldurdash pack, a level cap raiser (which maybe I didn't need with ToB?) and a "romance anyone" adjustment from this site. I think the latter crosses over a little to "cheat," but it's the kind of example that I consider to be a great gameplay improver.

But through getting suggestions elsewhere, I'm waking up to a huge world of available mods, and now I need help.

What is the current "gold standard" mod, or group of mods (that don't conflict), to maximize fixes and balanced tweaks for someone who's mostly a purist?

I've seen a lot of Weidu stuff, the modlist at Pocket Plane, Ascension, portraits, etc. I'm just lost. Basically, OMG help what should I do?

EDIT: I should add that I *LOVE* Romances.

-Penny

[ April 19, 2005, 16:03: Message edited by: PennyAnte ]

2. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Unfortunately, it is difficult to pick the good ones, yes, I agree.

I've had both good and bad times with the mods, and I can understand you very well.

Have you tried Kelsey ? He is not supported as such with multiromance, but it is a good work.

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=81&Itemid=66

Edwin Romance is a very deep and sometimes funny one.

http://forums.forgottenwars.net/index.php?showtopic=14074

As for the extra quests and such... I haven't found any to my liking. For me, even the Tortured Souls do not look good. :(

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I don't think there's been a reliable multi-romance cheat, so I would actually recommend uninstalling that tweak straight off the bat. I'm also not terribly interested in NPC/romance mods, so I'll cover everything but that. :)

For fixes, I'd recommend looking into selected components of Oversight, G3 Tweaks, Ease of Use, and Ding0 Tweak. The majority of components in these mods (except Oversight) are really game tweaks, but they do have some fixes between them, particularly Oversight.

Three mentioned above (G3T, EoU, D0T) are your best choices for tweaks. While some components are outright cheats, each are separate so you can pick and choose what you wish to use, so don't let a few dubious components stop you from trying the mods. You may also be interested in Song and Silence, One Pixel Productions, or Ashes of Embers.

For quests, try Unfinished Business. For a short n' silly quest, I'd recommend G3 Anniversary. Quest Pack will be a good mod once v2 comes out. Unfortunately, the current v1 release is rather buggy.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Check our Mod Reviews forum for reviews of many popular mods.

5. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would concur with CamDawg's recommendations, though the weapons component of Ashes of Embers strays from d&d rules a little so you may want to avoid that for your first play through.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps you should stick to mods that don't really change the plot but rather correct certain features and enhance the gameplay?
    It's a matter of taste.
    I tried some mods before going back to a more "classical" game. I liked Kelsey (amazing NPC) and Hubelpot (very very funny).
    Currently I'm using some elements of the Ease of Use mod (getting rid of the infamous "You Must Gather Your Party Before Venturing Forth" ;) ) some G3TWEAKS and some elements of Unfinished Business.
    Anyway you'll have to sieve through the components you want to use in your game since some mods can definitely alter the game balance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.