1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Druid a little Underpowered?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ofelix, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    [​IMG] We all Know that druis level are Cap at 14, Presently I am at level 10 at THE VERY BEGGENING the Waukeen Promenade at Chap 1 I am missing something or what?!

[ June 02, 2003, 19:22: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If you do the math, you can safely play a level 13 fighter dualed to a druid and still reach level 14 druid with the cap in place. I think this is the best way to strengthen a druid.

That's how much experience a single class druid squanders. :eek:

Going the other way doesn't work though. (14th level druid dualed to a fighter won't reach level 15 within the experience cap.) That's why I haven't tried a druid kit yet, except for Cernd of course.

Multi-class Fighter/Druid might be another option (again no druid kit though), but personally, I'd just take Jaheira instead.

3. CXwinds Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yeah, the Druid just doesn't seem to match up to the other classes. However, the Druids do have one good spell in thier arsenal-the summon insects and insect plague.

Those spells shut down all the magic casters with in sight because of the 1 damage that's making them lose thier spells. Just have your druid launch a spell like that at the magic users. Then hack and slash the fighters with magic support and then finish off the mages later.

4. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Underpowered compared to what? I wouldn't necessarily say that druids don't match up to other classes just because they cannot wield the most powerful swords or wear plate mail.

All I have to say is before you totally write off a druid as underpowered, run them through the entire game. Druids become pretty incredible, almost god-like, once they pass level 14.

It's how you play the character. There is far more to them than just their insect spells.

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, like the Avenger kit which gives some really sweet shape shifting options. Anyways, I usually dual class them with a fighter so I can use better armor.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I played through with a Totemic druid with great success -- he summoned all sorts of creatures to fight his battles while he learned and grew -- by the time he hits level 14, he is a serious contender. Carrying him on to ToB, he is tough as all get out. Some characters start off weak but get tough later -- the druid is a great example and kicks major booty.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Druids only get to Lvl 14 because after that they get extra abilites.

These abilities can only be allowed in the expansion when the experience cap is raised.
    Please Excuse reference to ToB

Also - I find Druids are not Underpowered at all. I have played through SoA with a Druid Character and Cernd, Jaheira as well, but she is dualed. I found the game fun and was not at all underpowered. You shouldn't underestimate them just because they're levels are limited.

8. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

Again while this is true to a minor extent, it is not the reason that druids cap out in SoA at level 14.

Without waxing poetic again (see similar thread and response on ToB board regarding druids), in order for a druid to attain level 15, they must challenge for the role of Great Druid. There can only be one Great Druid so if a druid is unsuccessful in the challenges, they remain level 14 until such a time they can challenge again for the honor and title. This, of course, was not incorporated into SoA or ToB -- probably because of the necessary development to ensure challenges were available to the druid class once they attained levels when they would challenge for the next level of the Druid hierarchy (Arch Druid, Hierophant Druid, etc).

The extra abilities they attain (non-TOB related) are bestowed to druids based on their status and position within the druid hierarchy.

9. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Aye, Spelladona is right about the reason druids are limited to 14th level in SoA.

I find them bit weak than they should be. I tweaked mine a bit (added some special abilities like slow,.etc) but didnt even use them.
    Compared to PnP normal shapeshifts are completely useless except for the very beggining (7-10lvl). They also dont have many of cool and useful abilities campared to PnP.

IF you find druids to be too weak try the following:

1-Download easy-of-use mod.
    2-Install Shapeshifter rebalanced component.
    3-Get Cernd or PC Shapeshifter.
    4-Equip him with all the good stuff he can get (except for the weapon). I found single weapon style best for mine as there arent any good small shields.
    5-Wait 'till you get Greater Werewolf shapeshift.
    6-Transform and rock the house.

With this i could FLY through SoA. And ToB after that. All solo naturaly.

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Get Jaheira in the right equipment, take the time to learn how to use her effectively, and you'll never question the power of a Druid again. And you'd certainly never feel the temptation to download any mod to improve her.

11. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

It was because of the power of Jaheira and Cernd that got me to run my own druid PC. While Jaheira has a bit of an advantage over Cernd, in terms of her being able to wear armor, both are devestating in battle. It is quite amazing what these two plus a druid PC can do in the realms. It made me a believer that druids are definitely not underpowered.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.