1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Druid questions.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have played BG before, but i was turned off by a number of factors.

First of all, i strongly dislike the "bikini-armor syndrome" which plagues nearly all of the US media products. Unnatural technologically enchanced and masked artificial people... This can be seen in the portraits of BGs. A much deeper and complicated subject, but i have no desire to speak of it now.

Second, the endless adventures in enemy filled huge dungeons. It was most annoying... All of the quests consisted of dungeon crawling and hacking thousands of enemies away. I much more like dialoging, as in PS:T.

But now i think i will try again. I have played a druid before, but it was a bit boring. Perhaps combining him with a fighter will make him more appealing. If i will do so, will i be able to gain the high level abilities on the same time? Or would you just suggest going as a pure druid? Secondly, are the shapechanges useful at all? Do the elemental changes give any significant positive changes?

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

If you haven't played other classes yet, I'd suggest expanding out in that direction first before attempting to re-adjust something you didn't like in the first place. But if you've got reason to play a druid character, an F/D might be just what you're looking for. You start gaining HLAs at 3 million XP (rather than a set level), so you'll start getting them at the same time no matter what class you choose.

Also, if you haven't tried the original BG yet, I highly recommend it. There's less hack-and-slash and more exploration. All the battles are difficult to some extent or another, and you will never find yourself simply wading through a bad-guy's army just to get to him, which you see all too often in the ToB portion of BG2.

3. iceviper77 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

well,about the "too-much-hack-n'-slash":
    for my opinion, that statement need to go for Icewind Dale 1, not BG.the designers put a lot of thinknig about the plot,and i got the feeling that all the fighting came at proper times.
    about the druid-the first time i finished BG (all the games) i did it with a D\F. the character did pretty good, but i don't advise it-you already have Jaheira.why not take character of another type?
    I did,however, finished the game once again with a pure avenger.This one rocks.REALLY good choice if you want a druid.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

My very own Jaheira is a one big tough tank, she absorbs blows, (ironskins) any kind of elemental damages (natural druid resistances and good dragon gear) and she can Greater Whirlwind as well! Not the mention her healing, summoning (elemental princes are fun!), buffing, and punishing spells! (mages really dislike Insect Plague or Creeping Doom! Works on Improved Jon Irenicus too!) Definitely try a F/D they rock at highest levels!

OR, try a ranger/cleric, tey have all the priest spells and a defintely a power-class!

OR, get Rebalanced Shapeshifter component from EoU mod and play as a Shapeshifter? (Warning: Too strong! Overkill! You must have some hard-mods like tactics or imp.battles if you are going to have it to balance the game somewhat or it will be too boring)

Avengers may seem lke a good choice if you want some arcane assistance too! Just beware of the penalties, they hurt!

EDIT: Have you ever played good old IWD? If you do you will learn the true meaning of hack&slash when armies of monsters swarm your party! Though this does not mean IWD is worse than BG2 though, it is still a very beautiful game, one of my all-time favourites! If I feel like killing lots of meannies in massive battles than my IWD gives me that chance to do so! :thumb:

5. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31

Mercury Star, Fighter/Druids rock! But if you're taking Jahiera I suggest not taking Jahiera if you're being a Fighter/Druid. Druids can't wear better then studded leather (they can wear dragon armours and ankeg (spelt wrong probably) armours though :) ). Fighter/Druids can wear stuff like Full Plate Mail and F/D can take 2 stars in a weapon :D (sorry I alreays call those thingys stars). Plus the bonus of Greater Whirlwind and you also have druid spells so you can buff yourself up before using GWW for best results.

Or you can dual the druid which can be good results.

If you dual class a Druid (preferibly lvl 14 at least) into a fighter then raise the Fighter lvls you can take grand mastery in whatever druid weapons you want. And you also get GWW attack along with a Druids buffs but if you want you can take the druid lvl higher and take in some Druid HLA's before Dualling to a Fighter.

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'd suggest starting off as a Fighter and dual-classing into a druid. If you do this right at the beginning, it won't have any effect on you long term, and the bonuses are well worth it.

I like the dual class f/d over the multiclass version because druids take forever to go from level 14 to 15, and being single classed helps you get to level 15 (where you get some gnarly bonuses).

7. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31

Thanks for the replies. I havent had the time to start yet, so can anybody help me with druid stats? What should i pick? I have little idea what to do.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Wisdom is definitely needed for extra spells, they help tremendously in low levels.

Dex and Con are vital to all classes, druid is no exception. You can skip Dex as you will have IronSkins but do not lower con from 16, 18 if you will be a fighter/druid.

Decent STR is good to have if you are going to fight a lot. get 18/x STR if you are a fighter/druid. You can skip it if you are a shapeshifter. Do not lower it than 10 or you will not be able to carry a lot.

For sone unknown reason, druids need high charisma. This is important if you will dual a fighter to druid, make it 15+!

From weapon proficiencies, you can get anything you wish. If you are strong, or a fighter, get scimitars, there are lots of good ones in ToB and in some modes. But good clubs are easier to find at the first quarter of the game. (if you do Trademeet) Quarterstaves are nice, there are good druid specials. Spears are a bit useless in SoA methinks. plus you should definitely use some gıood shields!

From ranged, sling do considerable damage, (bonus from sling AND bullet stack) plus one special sling can add your STR damage adjustment, which means it does massive damage for a ranged weapon if your str is 18/x. However, you can get only 1 attack/round, some more if you have fighter levels. But...

But darts have an astounding 3 attacks/round! Great for disrupting enemy mages! More attacks mean you will have greater chance to hit. Plus some darts have nifty specials, like stunning/poisoning the victim. Do never underestimate the dart weapon proficiency!

Among spells, pick doom (see my doom topic!), entangle, cure wounds, barkskin, resist fire/cold, remove paralysis, zone of sweet air, thunderstorm if you are outside, protection from fire (very powerful) Call woodland beings (good summon, not for cannon fodder though), negative plane protection, defensive harmony, neutralize poison (it heals 10 hp instantly and cures poison, disease, blindness, deafness, very handy), holy power, magic resistance (cast it on a heavy magic-resistant foe to actually lower it!) IRONSKINS, mass cure, cure critical wounds, chaotic commands, heal, harm, fire elemental, nature's beauty (blind everybody without save! then retreat quickly, they will just stand there!), creeping doom (mages love this), regeneration (stack it with improved haste and watch).

As HLAs, get GWW if you are fighter/druid, it helps you best to add extra attacks which you lack. For a pure druid get Mass Raise Dead (you need this spell), Implosion (massive damage), and Energy Blades (really powerful), summon elemental prince is very powerful but with a pitiful duration. Your call. Elemental forms are useless if you have fighter levels, can be taken if you are a pure druid and need some melee-power.

9. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31

That works? I tried it last night by making a Fighter and Ctrl+8 his stats so all his stats are 18 and tried but it didn't work. It wouldn't let me dual to a druid.
    How'd you get Fighter dual to a Druid to work?

10. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

It could be your alignment. Druids must be True Neutral, so if your fighter was any other alignment, then he would not be allowed to dual to Druid.

[edit]:spelling

11. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31

Whoops I made the fighter lawful good by accident. How stupid of me to do that.

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Try a Berserker/Druid they rock! ;)

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Multiclass F/D don't have as much strain on ability scores - you can keep the Charisma at 15 and lower the Wisdom some. Once you get 3 million XP for HLAs, this class can rock majorly! For a dual-classed F/D you need:

1) Human
    2) Have a 15 Strength, 17 Wisdom, 17 Charisma and be True Neutral in alignment

For a D/F:

1) Human
    2) Have 15 Wisdom, 15 Charisma, True Neutral alignment and 17 Strength

It depends on how you want to play it. I go with the idea of having unlimited spellcasting, meaning I'd use the F/D multi or dual class options. The multiclass is hard to get up there, as Klorox said, but there are tricks to getting XP.

14. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31

Thanks for all of the replies.

Now, another question! Does druid gain any more shape changes, other than the elementals, bears and the wolf. Or perhaps they improve...

15. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i would go Ranger/druid for sure.. i soloed one and they are very very fun to play

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Depends. The druid gets Elemental changes (earth and fire), brown and black bear and wolf. They can also summon Elementals and Greater Elementals (one of the four elemental princes fights for you) as HLAs. The Avenger kit allows for shapechanging to sword spider, baby wyvern and lesser basilisk in addition to the regular shapeshifting. The Shapeshifter kit gives you werewolf changing, but I don't know if you can change into the three standard animals.

17. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

the shapeshifter sacrifices all other shapechanges for lycanthropy

EDIT: Ohh... and Avenger is gay

EDIT2: Typo

18. Hard Blunt Stone of Fury Gems: 5/31

Avengers are great druids. If you want 18 str or con you can just Ctrl+8 them to 18. Avengers can still wear that Red Dragon Plate Mail armour. You get more shapeshifts then the normal druid.

If you like summoning then you should use the Totemic Druid and give up shapeshifts for animal spirit summonings.

Shapeshifter's can shapeshift into Werewolves and Greater Werewolves. They give up armour and the normal druid shapeshift's.

19. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31

I have gained the 6 level spells for my druid. They have 3 summoning spells. Im not an expert of BG, far from it, but as i understand conjuring a fire elemental is the best choise. The casting time is the smallest, it stays the longest, has a decent number of attack(how much, if you know), good damage, and most importantly it is immune to simple damage.

I cant seem to understand any benefits of summoning animals in the 6 level. What are they?

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^It summons multiple monsters generally, so it is better to distract multiple enemies.

Re-balanced shapeshifting pumps summoned bears to the point of being immortal! It summons two, horribly strong, rapidly regenerating dire werebears, they are a terror to behold, and the only way to kill them is a good old Death Spell. This component also significantly upgrades Shapeshifters to the point of being ridiculously strong, so it is NOT reccomended for a healthy game-play OK?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.