1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dual classing Imoen to mage?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Uglyhead, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Uglyhead Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What do you thing about this? she's got 17 intelligence, and, in my opinion, that's pretty good.

but... hm... doing so would take away some of her weapon and armor capabilities...

I've not got Dynaheir yet, and I am planning to... She's an invoker? I suppose this means she's not got access to some spells? Hm, decisions, decisions...

Well, here's who I've got...

My character (lv1 fighter/lv1 cleric) (on the verge of levelling cleric up)
    Jaheira (lv2 fighter/lv2 druid)
    Khalid (lv3 fighter)
    Imoen (lv.... uh... either 2 or 3, thief.)

and since getting dynaheir entairs getting minsc (right?) who's a ranger, and rangers use priest spells (right?), we'll have 3 characters with priest capabilities, and dynaheir'll be our lone mage...

Now, it's not like I'm planning on dualling Imoen to mage right away, I'll wait 'till she's got her thief skills a nice ways up.

whaddaya think?

2. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I do not know the answer to your question but would like to add another in that context:

Does your decision to dual imoen has any consequence on the Imoen NPC you get in BG2 at the Beginning?

BG2 Imoen is stuck to Thief level 7 and gains experience only as mage.

The story tells that "she decided to improve her magic abilities", that is at least the answer to why she is a dual classed character in BG2

3. Uglyhead Gems: 1/31

Gah? I don't have BG2, so I can't help you there...

If I do dual class imoen to mage, and get minsc and dynaheir (and boo!), my party will seem quite interesting...

2 people with wizard capabilities (imoen and dyna)

3 with priest or priest-like capabilities (jaheira, minsc, and my character)

2 with sneaky-ness (imoen and minsc)

4 reasonably capable of fighting (jaheira, minsc, khalid, and my character)

1 with thief abilities like find traps and pickpocketing (imoen)

... I like it!!!

4. Halbarad Gems: 1/31

I don't know if you were planning on dualing her at your current level or not, but I'd hold off for a while. I'd wait at least until level 5 to dual, by then she has a good thief skill base. IMO any level before that would be a waste, because later in the game a level 2 or 3 thief is basically worthless. My Imoen is a level 9 now, and there are things she still can't open.
    Just a thought.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

you wont have Minsc to cast priest spells until veeeeeeery late in the game... so do not rely on that...

6. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I dual often Imoen to mage at level 6, because she can still reach level 9 at mage (if you have ToTSC).

7. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I dualed Imoen when she was a Level 5 Thief. I was going to wait until she was Level 6, but the timing was better for me when she was Level 5. Plus she got her thief skills back quicker. She was the only mage I used for the game. My party was: Me (Paladin), Kivan, Khalid, Imoen, Yeslick, Ajantis.

8. Uglyhead Gems: 1/31

Hm... does removing the XP cap count as cheating?

::looks longingly at the XP cap remover in the Baldur's Gate section of SP::

9. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yes, removing experience cap counts as cheating. :( And it really is not necessary for winning the game. BG was my first CRPG and it took me a while, but I finished it without using any cheats. Keep trying and good luck. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.