1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dumb Mistakes

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by slienad laup, Oct 8, 2001.

1. slienad laup Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What are some of the best stupid mistakes people have made. I made umpteen attempts to destroy the beholders, gauths etc down in hell and ended up getting used as a chew toy for evil. That is until the infinitely wise Vormaerin pointed out on these boards that with a few simple protection spells I could just wander over and get the tear from the chest. After removing my forehead from my keyboard I felt the need to know that I am not alone in my stupidity.

Sleinad Laup

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Down in Bodhi's lair there is a puzzle to put stuff in the hands of several statues. I didn't want to solve the puzzle as it was late. I did however pick up the old boots and let Imoen wear them. The next day I had forgotten this and spend hours trying to solve the puzzle without the boots. geeeez. Don't play when you are extremly tired. :lol:

EDITED HERE: I'll never forget that puzzle :D

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited October 08, 2001).]

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] Heh, I completely agree about not playing when tired.

I was in a difficult battle, and was winning after several reloads, when I decided to finish of the enemy with a disintergrate spell. Suffice to say, my eyes were fairly blurred at the time, and I clicked on Minsc instead. D'oh! :lol:

4. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Puzzle in Bodhi's Lair? Geez Nobleman don't do that, you made me think I missed something else. :p You're talking about the puzzle in Spellhold, or Bodhi's Gauntlet.

Stupid mistake for me would be setting off a trap while disarming it.

5. Arwen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Nobleman, you know what? same thing happened to me, only Imoen was wearing the sun amulet instead of boots. And I spent hours running from one statue to another with all this weird stuff.

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

And I thought we were to old for dress up dolls. :roll:

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited October 08, 2001).]

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I went and tried and tried and tried and tried to slaughter the Umberhulks in the d'Arnise keep (I started playing only a few months ago, and then came school and stuf... now I am continuing the game... finally!)

I died fourteen, I repeat, FOURTEEN times before we got them dead, and all that because I really didn't pay attention to that servant!

I was extremely pissed off when I found the dog meat and it all klicked.

Ara
    (Pre-IB. oddity and a general nuisance)

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] the really really really! annoying thing in the spellhold gauntlet thingie.. you all know which one i mean, where you use your map to send party to somewhere and then half of them have died because they went the wrong way!! grrrr

9. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] And you know what's worse Arabwel ;)??? You could have given any magic user in your party a 'Death Spell' scroll, and have wiped out all those Umber Hulks in one go. Just send fighter in, let the Hulks attack him, mage follows up with Death Spell, and Dispel Magic on fighter if neccesary. Shake and let sit for 30 min. Enjoy. :p

10. DemoGorgon Guest

I killed Korgan cause he talked werid.

that was my only evil game

11. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Dumb Mistake #1 - trying to finsish BG2 in one sitting.
    Dumb Mistake #2 - allowing a level 6 mage to frontline due to player inattention.
    Dumb Mistake #3 - failing to Quicksave after a particularly tough battle and then dying though bad rolls in what is normally an easy battle - result, have to fight the tough batle again.
    Dumb Mistake #4 - allowing my nephew to play on my PC. He, of course, chooses Multiplayer and overwrites my current SaveGame files.
    Dumb Mistake #5 - once cast horror a surrounded party member rather than an enemy. Followed that up with casting Hold Person on another ally who had gone to the aid of the first guy. Result - both dead. One unresurrectable.

YEah - I play this game really well sometimes.

12. Namuras Gems: 13/31

OK, this was in BG1, but I'll mention it anyway.
    I played through the game using only the quicksave, and one other slot. It went just fine, until I got to the werewolf island, where, due to a bug, I couldn't find a certain item. You can't get back without it! And I think I even managed to overwrite my before-going-away-save. Whatever was the case, that game was over. :sosad::almostmad:

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited October 10, 2001).]

13. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No TOB in the SOA forum. You may want to edit that post before the mods or Extremist find it.

14. Namuras Gems: 13/31

I'm very well aware of that, but I thought I gave a fair warning. Ah well.
    *really trying to come up with something good to edit it to*

15. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] I've mentioned my idiotic raising Aerie next to confused flail of ages wielding ranger experience before, so I'll have to think of something else. Hmmm, this was pretty foolish, I suppose, although it actually turned out OK in the end. The shadow dragon had brought nearly all my party to the brink of death when I realised Nalia had a stoneskin spell left. I slapped some stony love on the posh lass and sent her in, toe-to-toe with the black scaly one. She spent an age twatting futilely at the bugger with her magic stick and I expected her stoneskin/levels to give out at any minute, but fortunately my ranger pc chopped the dragon in two with his spiffy halberd in the nick of time. Nalia was drained to about level 2, but was alive. That, my friends, is a lesson in jamminess.

16. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] One time had Aerie cast lightning bolt by mistake inside a room the size of a telephone booth. EVERYONE took about a jillion points of damage - lost Minsc, Aerie and Anomen. <ahem> - Reload! :grin:

17. void Guest

The worst thing I ever did (not in TOB) was resting in the d'arnise keep without saving and a bunch of yuan-ti popped up right next to my main character, a recently dualled Kensai/Mage and I had just beaten the umberhulks too (I never use the meat beacause the dogs have such cute names and I don't have the heart to kill them :) ).

Cheers, Void.

18. Arwen Gems: 4/31

[​IMG] One more.... when Mazzy callenges Gorf the squisher, or whatever hisname is, I see all her stuff on the floor - so i think it will be a fistfight... in about 10 seconds she knocks Gorf unconscious, and just stands over him until he gets up, then hits him, he's down again. I assume that good paladines like Mazzy just don't hit those who are on the ground, so I wait... and wait... Have 3 cups of coffee, smoke half a pack of cigarettes... the bastard is "near death", but still alive. I'm bored to death... and finally I accidentally click on Mazzy's inventory - here's the sword, and she chunks Gorf in one hit. I lost one hour real time...

19. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] One time in the maze under spellhold, i accidentally killed bohdi with the azure edge throwing axe before i turned into the slayer. I soon found out that i would never be able to turn into it.(after resting for about 20 times) So i went to my saves and had to do it all over again.

:coffee:

20. sandstorm Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] been there

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.