1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Editing exp points?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shaitan, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

[​IMG] When (if ever) you import old chars from BG to BG2 do you then edit the xp to what it was in BG after meeting Jon Irenicus in the first SoA dungeon?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

3. wanderon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Only if you are into "cheating"... ;)

The game is designed to be played starting at about 89K but in an effort to give an additional "bonus" to those who bought ToTSC they will allow an imported character up to 161K but only IF they have ToTSC installed currently on thier machine (or at least thats the way the game worked when it came out... :D )

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Always. I earned that XP, and I'm damn well going to keep it! :p That said, I usually don't have to. BG1, even with TotSC, only contains about 1.1 million XP, which boils down to <167,000 XP for each of your six characters. And it's really not worth it even if you do have 6K over when there's millions upon millions of XP in BG2. When I've soloed through BG1 and have no intention of soloing BG2 with the same character, however... :evil:

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually you can get I think it's like 190k xp for all 6 party members in BG1 if you've got a set of npc's you pick up early and have the appropriate high charisma and such to get the full reward from a few of the quests. The engine cuts out at 161k though if you have TotSC put in. so you'll never see that extra xp.

6. wanderon Gems: 4/31

I capped out at 161K with my solo R/C as i entered the cloakwood mines - another character that I finished the game with in a full party gained a single level when I removed the cap (the exp gained in BG1 is still added to your character after capping out it just does not show nor does it gain you any additional levels).

I look at adding extra exp/levels to BG1-BG2 imported characters the same way as I look at "cheating in" your BG1 gear - whats the point - you will likely have any extra experience already covered by the time you leave Chez Jon anyway and with magic weapons and armor under every rock you will be outfitted even better than you were in BG1 before the first drops of sweat dry on your forehead... ;)

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hey man, I worked hard to get that ankheg shell made into armor. (The other set, not the one I found in Nashkel :p ) :lol:

Yes, I have edited the XP. I wish I could edit the hitpoints as easily. All that reloading and quick saving, only to see my uber health dropped to 87. :rolleyes:

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I wouldn't even know how to 'edit' my XP but I would certainly see it as cheating, but pointless, because a few thousand XP makes no difference in BGII anyway.

9. Felinoid

@HB:
    CLUA is preferable since it's a function of the game, but SK also works.

On cheating:
    No, the XP cap is cheating; it's a completely artificial construct that has no place in 2e. As such, I've removed it from every D&D cRPG I have, with nary a twinge of conscience since I am only fixing what should not have been in the first place. :p Unfortunately, however, they have yet to make something to remove the cut-down at the beginning of SoA. When I'm more familiar with modding, I will make it myself and be proud that I could bring the game closer to what it should be: a representation of a fantastic PnP ruleset.

10. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Hey! I know thats ecxatly the same feeling I have!

The argument that it doesn't really do any difference in BG2, just makes it easier for me to do without having a "bad" conscience.

I think the experience you earn can't be taken away from you, while your gear can be stolen, your memory and/or years of living can't be touched. That's why I stated my original question I think... It has annoyed me since BG2 came out. It's the same with proficiencies for ie Jaheira and Minsc - and a bit with their improved stats.

11. wanderon Gems: 4/31

Well personally I feel the game developers should have a say so in how their game works and what the proper starting experience should be is certainly one of the things they should have the authority to set - if folks want to change that its certainly their choice to do so but to try to take the high ground and say its not cheating to ignore the games restrictions and set your own rules is a little silly... ;)

12. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

This is silly. A player buys and plays the game for their own satisfaction, not that of the developers. By all means, the suggestion that editing the game in this way is "cheating" is a legitimate one, but the notion that I should be playing a certain way because the developers will cry if I don't is ludicrous.

13. Felinoid

That's just it: I'm not ignoring they game's restrictions and setting up my own rules, the developers did when they made that cap; if I have to restore it to its intended state, then so be it. The game is AD&D: Second edition; learn it, love it, and play by its rules, not some random hack's. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.