1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

English are Evil!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Dargorn, May 6, 2002.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yes it seems we are. Heres the story:
    I was sitting with a cup of Earl grey in frnt of the TV watching the special film fr the day: Flintstones.
    It dawned on me that the Evil guy was being played by a British guy with a Strong British accent. He was also the ONLY British actor in the film. then i thought about a few more films i had seen recently.......Robin hood and Die Hard. hmmmmmmm. I am now on a crusade to see if British people are in fact evil (just incase you think i am racist...i myself am British). So i need people to help me with giving as many films as they can where British actors star as the evil guy. (even if they PLAY Americans.

pleaseeee this is important scientific research.

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

No, Hollywood just like using British people as the villains because we fought against them in the war of independence, and so they think we are all evil :).

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited May 06, 2002).]

3. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Don't know if its true Sir Dargorn. :grin:

But I have to admit, English villains are cool.

My favorite has to be Elizabeth Hurley as the terrorist/stewardess in Passenger 57 starring Blade... err... Wesley Snipes.

:hippy:

4. The D&D (Disgraceful and Disgusting) movie had Jeremy Irons as the main evil character.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    After the fall of the Soviet union east european villains got out of fashion. If you look at the movies done after 1990 you will see that alot of them have british bad guys, those that dont have arabic villains. A few not many have asian ones.

6. Well, in history you English are evil.... But I don't know too many brits to see if they are all evil.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well I am certainly not Evil

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oft English Will shall England mar...

9. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Star Wars: A New Hope for one...the evil Englishman being Admiral Tarkin.
    Other evil Englishman movies are Braveheart, the Patriot (the newer one with Mel Gibson), First Knight...I'm sure there are lots of others...;)

10. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Most of the Empire's officers in episodes IV, V, VI are played by english officers.

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    If all English peoplle are like my English English teacher, then they definitely are evil. And insane :)

But to actually contribute something... I share joacqin's opinion.

Ara
    (Too lazy to invent anything even remotely coherent)

12. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Many good baddies in films are English - something to do with old Imperialist throwbacks?

13. Silverblade Guest

Well, I think that in most films in the English-language there are only American and English actors, so you either get an American to play the bad guy, or somebody from England. Why they usually use somebody from England? Just listen to that accent, when you talk like that you have to do something evil sooner or later.:grin:

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited May 07, 2002).]

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is not very nice

There is nothing wrong with being English

All teachers are mad, they would have to be to work there in that sort of place

The Americans are just as bad, if not worse, they carry guns around, English don't do that.

And honestly you call the American language English? It is some sort of twisted language made of slang and mispronounciation, don't care if it is spelt wrong, so there

15. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Heh the first starwars trilogy is somewhat an enactment of the independance war between the americans and the brits. Watch carefully, all rebels talk with american accent, and all empire officials speak with english accent :)

That is all good actually, as the empire is much cooler :p

16. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Like, say James Earl Jones and Alec Guiness? Hm I see...

17. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] using the english as bad guys probably has something to do with a link between language and intelligence.

it has been shown that the clearer you speak the smarter you'll appear to others.

in addition, english villains tend to be middle-class and more articulate than the (often american) hero, giving the impression of extra brains. :square:

in films it's simply not believable/credible to have an evil bad guy who seems stupid!

[This message has been edited by the god (edited May 09, 2002).]

18. 8people

Media:
    The English are way easier to understand than the Americans, and most Americans have idiotic accents

I dont see what you have against the English.

19. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Why did they have to make the D&D movie so rubbish, i must say that £20 could have been spent somewhere else!! like a copy of Ps:T (grumble grumble).

and that wierdo bad guy was played by Jeremy Irons too! Oh WHY?!

20. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Personally, I prefered the dude with the blue lippy...

As a Brit myself, I much prefer the evil cliche to some of the others, which usually involve tea. Or Hugh Grant. Or both. *sigh*

I think the evil brit thing harkens back to the old days of black and white films where the baddie had a cape, a top hat and a curly 'tasche and said stuff like "Wahahaha. Noone can save you now, my proud beauty." while his captive stuggled pathetically with some obviously poorly tied ropes and screamed "Wah hay-ulp! Hay-ulp!" and someone played frantically on a piano in the background.

This archetype, along with countless others, is an enjoyable part of our culture. You've just got to take these things with more than a pinch of salt is all.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.