1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Err, after level 21, they don't get new spells?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Anofalye, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Anofalye Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yup yup, for some reasons the game don't give new spells from level 21 to 22(cleric and wizard), and I am not sure I wanna go on and try just to see. The "increase" in damage and spell duration don't justify to give them more casters levels IMHO.

Now, on a pure power concept, why should I make my wizard 21 and cleric 21 go on instead of taking monk or fighter levels for the last 9? I mean, it will help a lot with saving throws and feat(and hps) even if they would always lack in the melee damage no matter what.

My warriorS are going barbarian since level 19, but I should have start before, like around 14...the nice feats ain't there to justify going on fighter. Of course barbarian is going on, the damage reduction and more hps is worth it. My rogue is a funny character so she can go on to 30, I don't relly on her in battle...just for about everything not battle oriented with the exception of alchemy and wilderness lore LOL. :p

And for the "roleplayers" folks...yeah, I know, but the machine don't roleplay much either and the class are not that balanced, so I will abuse the best I can...even if some think it lack.

On a side note, beside giving 1 level of paladin or the like to some characters, what you think would have been the most needed upgrade to my group?

1- Rogue (21 atm) (CN), she don't do damage, she barely join the fight for the social pressure of doing the fight like others, but she is the "leader" of the group...18 intel/charisma and tons of skills(everything that cost (1) but not pick pocket) to handle intimidate to diplomacy or whatever. She could make a decent bard, but...on the skills issues, would I be better to go on as a rogue? Not like 9 levels of bard gonna make her any usefull in fights. 6 str only...(high dex)

2- Warrior/barbarian 19/2(NG)...killing machine...STR and CON and DEX as high as possible in that priority order...10 wisdom and 6 intel/charisma, they are there to deliver the damage, destroy the thing in front of us, talking is not their job. They can "tank" if needed and often does.

3- Same as 2 but (CG).

4- Barbarian(dwarf) 21 (CG)...the tanking machine that try to do some nice damage, yet, it is the "tank", yes, always start behind and ready to intercept. You see the rogue in front, yes, this is right, always fun to run monsters while you kill others. (he have almost 450 hps when he rage...at level 21...my rogue have 1/4 of those hps or so...and the warriors are barely above 300)

5- Transmuter(elf) 21 (LE...you know, when they are so "good" they start destroying all evils with such hatred that they are indeed evil) ...but...it didn't seem to be worth it to give more wizards levels, seem to be at his limits in spells, might as well give him fighters levels despite his 6 of strengh. Basically he summons monsters, more monsters, more monsters, more monsters, cast haste/invi/group haste...very rarily he drop a fireball or the like, mostly when the group is low HPS and running in circle. So what for him now, warriors levels or monk(he have armored arcana 3 for shield, don't care to be have huge attack flaws in melee, don't melee much)?

6- Morninglord of Lathander(NG) 21...same issue for spells...heal the group...heal the group...summon monsters...more monsters... she love to cast a few Gate followed by a sanctuary and whatch at the carnage when the group is hiding FAR from her except maybe for an invisible scout to bring the monsters into action against the Gelugons inc. So, what for her now? Warriors levels? Druid 9 = waste of time I think, no? For some reasons, often she win a lot of enemy even if doing nothing and not been the closest character, guess the computer don't like her. Oh, she have 32 wisdom...with the +2(twice) from battlesquares and a ring that give 5...18 con and 10 in everything else.

I am listening to "powerplayers" comments. Looking to improve...If no race stated, they are humans, of course! At start I figure losing a level was not worth it, I can't stand the orcish and would have attack them, anyway the barbarian need to tank so 2 in constitution ain't that bad a situation even if I STR is a little better since a dead monster mean tanking is done(hehehe my nazi wizard), now I know the Drow would have been the best race for the magic resistance on the warriors...well...to bad and to late for this time.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

No self respecting 21st level wizard would start focusing on hand to hand combat. You need to learn more arcane knowledge, not stagnate into an also ran....

To give your transmuter any D/C levels would be a complete waste, stick with the one class. You will get more spells before maxing out at level 30.

3. Anofalye Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well...

I didn`t mean hand-to-hand...I really mean the HPS and the many feat that make you substain stuff...

Now, for a wizard that cannot nuke much(the case of any caster in HoF, to many HPS on mobs, 3 fireballs and the mobs are still barely hurt, very pointless to increase DC for nuking)...

54 more HPS(10 per level instead of 4, prior con), many more feats to survive all attack and diversification of your saves...or 1 spell per 2 levels? What do you lose from 21 to 30 in spells number(I lost my book, so don`t recall the table :) )? Maybe 2 or 3 spells levels that you care, but since you already have each level of spell 5 or more times...it didn`t seem to be a nice help...54 more HPS and better saves and more feats does look nice to me...especially that you, as a side effect, improve your sucky melee skill for when not casting(because you already use all spells are the fight is to easy to use any spell on it). Not like I can disintegrate or charm any significant monster that I can`t a level 21 with feats...anyway, for DC, your level is irrelevant, it is you stat modifier and you spell level...your level is...irrelevant. And duration of spells...they already last long enought for 2 fights, no need to last for 3 fights.

Nay, I stick to my heavy meleeing group, and after 21, my wizard get fighter levels, the game is not justifying more casters levels.

For my cleric, even if I should have give fighters levels, I try a few druids levels just to see and acknowledge it was a bad idea...not like she deseperatly need those 18 hps she lose with druid levels...she already have enought for someone behind...not like my wizard *grin*.

On roleplay purpose I would understand you...but Elminster himself have many fighter levels. And I am a powerplayer on computer...no doubt there. :p

4. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Go ahead and give your Transmuter a level of whatever casting class you feel like giving it. The only reason for this is to take advantage of a certain bug in the game: if you take a level of a class that can cast magic of the opposing schools of your wizard, your wizard will get the ability to learn spells of those schools. In other words, taking, say, a level of cleric will let your transmuter cast necromancy and abjuration spells.

By the way, I'd suggest bard for the song or paladin for the class bonuses, but your alignment is such that neither is an option. If you want fighting class levels, go with ranger.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.