1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Essentials before going to Spellhold

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tobold, May 4, 2002.

1. Tobold Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Is there anything i should really have before going to spellhold? Any items that are good for there? I have completed all the quests i can find. I have the following party:

jaheira
    minsc
    korgan
    me (kensai-good)
    viconia
    yoshimo

No mage :) Do i really need one for spellhold? If so who should i get given my good alignment? I've tried Edwin but he fights with minsc. Aerie seems a bit weak.

Thanks,

Tobold

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

There are no "essential" items for going to spellhold, other than having at least some +3 weapons in the group. That shouldn't be a problem if you have done a fair number of quests (as seems likely).

Don't worry too much about the mage issue. I don't think it will be a long term problem for your group. Trust me on this. :)

3. yappie! Guest

I would advise on having a Thief/Mage before going in to spell hold. Like Jan, who is a very good thief, nearly as good as a pure class.

I wont put spoilers on here, but try to remember who you are going there to rescue!! and what class is she?!

And definetely a +3 weapon of some kind. Try more quests. What level are you? Level 13-15 would be a very good time to go.

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Get those romances and stronghold quests running, otherwise you'll never finish them in time (*mutter* Stupid Jaheira romance never finishes *mutter*).

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

*possable spioler*
    Won't it be wise to change either Korgan or Minsc, since they get into a fight later (I mean becouse of the experience loss if kicked out later)

6. Tobold Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Thanks guys.

I've decided 'suck it and see' and go to spellhold with my main guy at level 15. I kept Korgan and Minsc (wasn't aware they fight later ;)) and picked up Imeon.

I just found the bag of holding...awesome!

Cheers

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Excuse me, but Minsc and Korgan never fight between themselves.

8. Tobold Gems: 2/31

didn't think so...i just believed spetznaz :)

9. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ugh, Extremist, they fight somewhat late in the game becouse Minsc think that Korgan is 'too evil' or something like that. Atleast they did so for me, and four of my friends who had both... Korgan owned Minsc in all five fights :D.

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Really? Forur friends? I guess we don't have the same game then.

Don't worry Tobold, Korgan and Minsc will never fight in your game. Keep 'em!

11. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Uh, if you've already got Viconia and Korgan, why are you worried about the alignment of your mage clashing with your own?

Personally, I'd take Valygar for his backstabbing and stealth over Korgan, plus Valygar will never go berserk and attack you in battle.

I'd take some kind of mage too since wands will come in very handy, since they are often useful against other mages in combat taking out your enemies' defensive spells, and since I like to have two mages anyway. My own preference is for Aerie (my favorite NPC -- definitely not weak), who can cast more spells than you can shake a stick at since she's also a cleric, and can carry the shield of reflection to protect herself completely from missile damage even if you don't bother to give her any other armor, bracers, rings or whatnot. She can also do some pretty good tricks as a cleric, like cast blade barrier followed by sanctuary then just walk into a bunch of enemies and chop them to bits without them ever even noticing her. I'd replace Viconia with Aerie so that you keep the cleric abilities while adding a mage. You could also sub in Jan for Yoshimo to get a mage in the mix without losing anything.

Items that top my list are the cloak of mirroring, a wand of cloudkill, boots of speed, and the shield harmony (I think you can get all these before Spellhold, right?). Dragon slayer is a big plus too, as is the shield of reflection. A +3 weapon isn't necessary as long as you have a mage (like Aerie) who can create +3 weapons with the spell enchanted weapon.

[This message has been edited by Bombur (edited May 07, 2002).]

12. aldekeuk Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Two questions:

Aerie can carry a shield??

If so, can she still cast spells while one is equipped???

Thx

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep! Aerie can do eveything while having a shield. Give her the Sentinel, she could use it: Good armor, not to heavy.

In my party Aerie is using the sentinel and a very nice sling.
    IMO, missile weapons are a must for weak casters.

[This message has been edited by Master of Nuhn (edited May 07, 2002).]

14. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Ok this is quite cheesy but i found a way to give aerie any shield. Equip the mace that gives 18 strength (sorry i can't remember the name) and equip any shield you want. Then remove mace and equip whatever weapon you wish. She keeps the shield equipped although it goes red. You could leave the mace equipped but i don't like her as a front liner, not enough HP.

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

The mace is called Mauler's Arm and is available pretty early in the game...
    But I guess you could get better results with those STR boosting belts. The problem you may get is if you deequip this mace, she could become overweighted. ;)

16. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

That strength trick works with any strength enhancing item on any character, by the way, so you can give weak fighters compound long bows, etc. But Aerie doesn't need extra strength for smaller shields like the ones I mentioned.

17. Magus800 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Edwin is a must, good or bad, he may pick fights, but he is cool. He has great spells, he is real funny, and come on, he is a Red Wizard. Anyway, you should get rid of Korgan, he is okay, but whenever I start a gmae, as soon as I can I go to the Copper Corenet and kill him, and steal his stuff. Oh well, that is just me, just a helpful hint that I like.

18. Boo II Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] for the mage thing: considered Nalia
    Huh?

I know she's stupid, but she is a Good-aligned mage, who can also be a reasonable thief when given the ring of danger sense/lock picks, as well as the other thieving enhancers

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.