1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

European Fantasy Books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am quite amazed that there are so many forum friends of European backgrounds that enjoy reading English Fantasy novels. (Good on you for knowing so many languages, makes me jealous...)

Are there other perhaps equally talented authors of fantasy in your local language? Just curious.

What would be the title and author?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I know, there's not a single fantasy writer in Slovenia. Which is not really surprising, since 10 years ago no one here has even heard of fantasy. I suppose that might change in the upcoming years, but in the meantime, there are 5 tons of English fantasy novels around, so no one is really complaining...

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Can't think of any dutch writers either, but the reason why we read english fantasy is in my opinion the lousy translations (if there even are any, for example the FR novels)

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are some Swedish fantasy writers, many whom were active a few decades ago. I have read most of it and I must say that it is pretty entertaining, Swedish fantasy tends to not be as epic as anglo-saxian and almost all of it is aimed at juveniles. I have found what I have read to be pretty good, it is often set in very strange worlds and magic and the like often does not play a very big part.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

In Germany, there is a man called Wolfgang Hohlbein. He dabbles in fantasy-, SF- and horrorstories. I don't know if his books were translated into english.

IMHO, he is rather average. Some of his books are quite good, such as "Das Jahr des Greifen" (the year of the griffin), his "Enwor"-cycle or "Magog". But his is producing books by the dozen, so that noone can really survey his whole work. There's even the rumor that he has several ghost authors, just because the velocity he's is putting out his books.

6. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

For Slovakia, I don't know.
    For Czech Republic, there are plenty of them, but none is known in outside. And the publishers often make them to use english pseudonyms.
    Poland has quite a few ones, including one of my favorite fantasy author ever, Andrzej Sapkowski.
    It's quite pity so many english crap books are being translated and so many high quality slavonic ones have no chance to be translated in english.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here in Poland we have whole herds of fantasy writers. Only not all of them should really be given a pen ;)

Some of them are quite nice to read although I must confess I don't remember their names - I have only read many short stories in Polish and haven't had the time to seek out the novels. Well, except one, mentionned above by ArrynMorgerim: Andrzej Sapkowski (you'll never pronounce that so don't even bother trying :D ). He's being translated into various foreign languages, but I don't know if English is among them. Whatever you see of this author is highly recommended by me.

8. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Here in Turkey ,there are no fantasy-writers. Mostly, because fantasy is not well known here.
    Everyone is reading Salvatore's, Cunningham's or Weis' books.

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Chevalier. I think that I could try to say Andrzej Sapkowski. "Andzhey Sapkovskee"...

Thanks for the info. If only I could read Polish. That would be a dream come true...

10. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

To Andrzej Sapkowski:
    I think parts of Wiedzmin were translated to German, Russian, Czech (all books and short stories were translated) and IIRC some other slavonic languages (Litvian?)
    There was a movie made, but I don't think it is very good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.