1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ever Stuck?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sarevok•, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Were you ever stuck the first time you played BG2? If so where did you get stuck and how did you get past it? I remember the first time I played it I got stuck in the asylum and I needed a stake, there was a bug and there were no stakes in the asylum so I had to start all over again (didn’t know I could spawn items at the time). That was pretty much it apart from that riddle in the asylum with the box and the miscellaneous items, which I could never understand.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I remember the first time I played. I got stuck in the Mind Flayer City for bloody aaaages. I left the game for a few months after that. But came back and figured it out :p .

I can also remember losing about 5 or 6 NPC's to Flesh to Stone (this was my first D&D experience and I didn't know about Stone to Flesh :p NOOBIE ALERT!). I ended up finishing the game with a 5 man party, because I couldnt find any more, lol.

Ooooh, I look back with such fond memories :D . What a great game this truly is.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Quite embarrassing to admit but I actually got stuck in Irenicus' dungeon whereby Ilyich and his cronies pounded me into the ground every time. This was before I'd bothered having more than a cursory glance at the manual and realised I could pause the game with the SPACE key and assign commands to my characters whilst paused. It sure made the fight with Iylich a challenge as I desperately tried clicking on him with the mouse as he ran around stabbing my PC.

4. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Sarevok-, I experienced exactly the same!
    The creators should have put a stake somewhere there.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Do you know that one of the Kobolds carries a stake? Cos i missed that the first time I played through it and got stuck for abit.

Just wondering :confused:

6. Baronius

Interesting! I have killed those kobolds but I must have missed the stake.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Yes, the kobolds did not carry anything they were suppose to.

8. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I got stuck once due to a bug in Brynnlaw where Saemon wouldn't appear after I escaped Spellhold.

9. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I too had problems with stakes: dead vampires in Bodhi's lair weren't stakable, so I couldn't move forward to chapter 4. I knew this, because I had read some parts of walkthrough (shame on me!). So, after searching a while, I found bugfixes, that helped a lot.

When I got SoA exactly (it was on my birthday, and today is my birthday :) ) two years ago, I wanted to play with mage character. I restarted at least twenty times, because I had too low stats, wrong magic school, couldn't get Jaheira and Minsc in my party, chose bad spells etc. :rolleyes:

10. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Not quite the same as getting stuck the way you mean but I once had Aerie use the Rod of Terror. I never noticed the charisma drain until she died for apparently no reason and I had no saves before the draining began. By this time I was half way through brynnlaw.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31

I had a problem with vampires in Bodhi's place too. They don't let you go downstairs until the evil has been cleansed on the main floor or something like that.

So what I did the first time was scout around, find a hostile vampire, run back to prepare and then charge. But for some reason the vampire wasn't there anymore, even when I searched carefully. So I got stuck. I solved it by reloading, and then killing everything on sight instead of scouting and running.

12. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I got stuck in the Shadow dungeon cause I couldn't find the light gem.

And the Mindflayers. I hate Mindflayers. I like them in IWD2, but BG2 they are overpowered.

13. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Actually I've never had any problems with heading down to Bodhi's lair before dealing with her allies.

14. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Heheh... First time I got stuck was, as said bfore somewhere above, in Irenicus dungeon.

I didn't see the sewer entrance I was supposed to find, so I looked for about a half an hour to find it.

Was I ashamed when i did find it... :rolleyes:

Agreed a number of times over ;)

15. Blog Gems: 23/31

There's this other 'bug' that I'm sure some of you have experienced before. It's the one involving doors, doorways and monsters, and I've had two versions happen to me.

One happens regularly at the Slavers Dock, where the two trolls are. Sometimes a troll gets caught in the doorway but disappears somehow, thus an invisible barrier prevents you from saving the last little girl. Solution I guess is to teleport your party in, or reload and fight the trolls inside the room rather than outside.

The other door trap is when you open a door from a bad position, such that the door and two walls form a triangle that hems in your character... AND something stands in the doorway thus preventing the trapped person from closing the door. It happens to me a lot in party mode, but usually it's one of my guys blocking the door and he can just move to allow the door to be closed and 'open' the triangle trap.

But it happened to me when I was soloing once, and a monster stood in the doorway. So I was stuck behind a door, unable to close it because of the monster... Reload and open the door from the other angle. :doh:

16. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I got stuck fighting in the Beholder's lair in the Underdark. Man I reloaded so many times i could puke...

17. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Hehe Sarevok. I had the exact same problem as you with the wooden stake. And I didn´t have internet so I didn´t know anything about CLUAConsole. Man it was lame to start all over...

18. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I got stuck in Irenicus Dungeon, since I missed to explore the portal rooms which leads to Yoshimo. Doh, ran around for hours.

Also, I got lost indeed in the Planar Sphere..man there's just so many ways to go there ;)

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I once had that problem with the stake, but there actually is one on one of the kobolds, atleast there was for me. May be something they put there in a patch.

20. Baronius

...or in a mod? Players install so many mods nowadays that it is hard to tell while playing which mod is responsible for this and this.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.