1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

F/M/T staves doing "too" much damage?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tony Tulipstomp, May 17, 2011.

1. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Hi again! I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on...I have:

Two Handed Weapon **
    Quarter Staff ***

Just leaving Irenicus' dungeon so I'm not sure why I'm doing 20 damage per hit. It's just the basic "no mods" quarterstaff (Not even +1) Have seen 27-38 damage on backstab so far. (Level 7 thief)

Isn't 20 damage -too- much for just 3*'s ? I don't think the THW style adds to damage to this extent. Oh, strength is 18/00 (THAT took awhile to roll!)

2. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Not sure how you are doing that much damage. It does seem you havea mod installed though. Its not possible to backstab with a staff (can only do backstab with stabbing weapons). So you seem to have something installed thats not...vanilla BG2.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh? As I recall one can backstab with any natural thief weapon including the staff.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You absolutely can backstab with a staff.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I can fondly remember the times when my Kensai/Thief would do around 90 damage on a normal backstab with the Staff of the Ram +6, upwards of 200 on a critical hit. Good ol' times.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    May I mention that a backsmack has been discussed repeatedly and verified?
    The Kensai/thief with a quarterstaff is one of the biggest damage dealers in the game with kai.

Just try searching for either "backsmack" or "backstab quarterstaff". You'll get some good threads discussing all the power gaming possibilities.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The questions isn't can he do it, the question appears to be why is a non-backstab strike with a F/M/T using a non-magical quarterstaff with a 18/00 strength, two *'s in two handed weapon and three *'s in quarterstaff doing 20 points of damage.

My hypothesis would be critical hits. I think the second * in two handed weapons extends the range of critical hits to 19-20, rather than just a 20.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Certainly the 18/00 strength has something to do with it as well. IIRC, that score allows +6 damage all by itself...

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Between the Strength modifier(+6) and the Proficiency modifier(+3), it's +9. Add to that the damage of the weapon(1d6) and you are at 10-15 damage per hit. Crits would easily put you in the 20s range for damage. There is QS+1 in Irenicus's Dungeon, is there not? Save up for the Staff of Rhynn(+4)(Adverturer's Mart? or Copper Coronet? I don't remember which shop sells it...) and you will be a backstabbing machine.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Your character should have:
    • One * in two handed weapon style gives +1 damage, -2 speed. An additional * gives an extra -2 speed and allows a critical on a 19 roll as well.
    • 3 *s in quarter staff gives +2 to hit, +2 damage and an extra 1/2 attack.
    • 18/00 strength gives +3 to hit, +6 damage, 400 carry weight and 45 to bashing.
    And a 1d6 for a normal staff. That's 10-15 damage on a normal hit. I forget the specifics on critical hits for BG2, but 20 should be easily possible on a critical hit. Which you should get 1 out of 10 hits on average.

/edit
    ninja'd by BoV :)

Forgot to mention, but if you're a F/M/T fresh out of Casa d'Irenicus, your backstab multiplier shouldn't be that good, so it's not strange that a critical hit would approximate the damage of a backstab.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Staff: 1d6
    Damage Adjustments:
    Proficiency: +2
    Strength: +6
    Weapon Style: +1​

Backstab multiplier: X3 (for 4-7 thief levels ... X2 for 1-4 levels), strength bonuses are excluded from the multiplier.

Single hit: 1d6 + 9, average will be 12.5
    Backstab: 3X(1d6+3) + 6 = 3X(1d6) + 15 = 18-33 damage, average will be 25.5

As dmc mentioned, you'll get a critical hit 10% of the time and do double damage on that hit. At low levels you'll only hit some enemies on a critical hit and so you'll do 20-30 points of damage on a normal hit.

Definitely get the Staff of Rynn from the Adventurer's Mart -- you hit more often and do more damage per hit. You can't find an all-around better staff for damage until you get to ToB.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Weird, this time around the shakes screen on critic was off. Thanks for the answers! :)

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That would be cool -- Jan insults Keldorn -- screen shakes....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.