1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fair Battle Tactics not Exploits.........

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Orgrim Doomhammer, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Orgrim Doomhammer Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think any tactics that you use in the game can be considered fair and not an exploit if you give the enemy the chance to retaliates. Not everyone is expected to use the same tactics. If I was a mage and fighting a fighter, I would not expect to go one on one with him using my staff. I would pound him down with spells.

With Edwin at level 18 I was able to kill any foe who crossed my path. He was has good has Irenicus him self.

Edwin was using:

Robe of Veccna
    Staff of Magi
    Ring of Protection 2
    Ring of Gaxx
    Clock of Non-Detection
    Gauntlets of Dexterity
    Girdle of Inertial Barrier

Against most monsters i used the staff to make myself invisable so no one can attack Edwin because he was invisable and that even with true sight, they still could not see him. I then cast an offensive spell at then to lower their resistances to magic or to do alot of damage to them. I will then hit the staff again to go invisable.

When fighting Dragons, Edwin will have his contingency spells ready. The first contingency will let him cast 3 protection spells on him to make him immune to all physical and magical attacks. The next contingency is to cast 3 ABI-DALZIM'S HORRID WILTING which take about 100-150 damange off the dragon. The next few offensive spells like magic missle should kill the dragon. I wiped out Drizzt's entire party with this tactic. If Drizzt's was still alive a few secret words to lower his resistance to magic and then a used a few flame arrows witch killed him. This all happened while the other party members drink a potion of invisability and watched Drizzt's getting pounded by Edwin.

When going one on one with Irenicus, the rest of the party ran out of sight and it was just Edwin and Irenicus one on one. Edwin used time stop and then spell strike to dispelled all the protection spells protecting Irenicus including his protection against evil. Edwin then casted all his protection spells on him self and watched the Pit Fiends attack Irenicus. Irenicus used almost all spells up to kill his own pets. Edwin had only 3 stone skin and one Black blade of Disaster spell left and went one on one with Irenicus the Slayer. With a few critical hits Edwin pounded Irenicus to little pieces.

2. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Nice recount there Orgrim. I also believe in Edwin's abilities as a Mage -even tho he 'ramps' his abilities higher than they are.

I also noted the Cloak of Non Detection in your list. I became a STRONG believer in that item during BG1. Thus in BG2 when invisible, and wearing this cloak no spellcaster can target you. No spellcaster can detect you. It's funny if you enter Ribald's store while invisible and wearing the cloak, he'll cast several True Sight's just to find you! This combination gives stealth fighting the highest 'edge' when factoring all the extras that relate to combat.

I also had Nalia equipped with the items you listed (cept' the bracers and the girdle), it makes a most powerful combination. I had Nalia wearing Bracers of AC3 and a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength -she drank potions of Mind Focusing (+3int/+3dex lasts for 12 hours) when needed...

I relied more on Spell Traps and summoned Hasheakar's & Nishruu's when fighting specific spellcasting opponents. Those summoned creatures wreak havoc on opponents and make them focus completely on the summoned creatures. Ignoring everyone in your party.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hey Draco - What use did you have for the cloak in BG1? I don't recall any detection spells in that game; I wore the damned thing, but never found it useful that I recall...

Now in BG2 it was indeed fantastic! :)

4. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Talking about all overpowered items combined in one person here :)

Seriously, Interplay should really have paid more attention to balancing their items a bit more. And those CE and bonus disk-items are really a hoot. I don't think I'll ever use them, just because they are plain ridiculous.
    I mean, The Robe of Vecna : casting time lowered by 4 (FOUR!!), which allows you to cast Fireballs and such as if it were Magic Missiles is silly. And then the Staff of the Magi! Geesh, infinite Invisibility-charges (that's what it is after all) is too ridiculous for words, imho. Especially if it can be combined with the Cloak of Non-Detection. And I already found the regular Rings of Regeneration (1HP/round) overpowered, but the Ring of Gaxx doubles that effect, and adds some more nice effects.

Now, in se, it's nice to have such items, and with the Staff o/t Magi and the Ring of Gaxx, I don't mind all that much, since you need quite some tough fights to get them (esp. the Ring), so actually this semi-rant is entirely focussed on the fact that you can buy some of those super-items à la Robe of Vecna, Dakkon's Blade, and even Azuredge and Mauler's Arm just to name those.

Ah well, I guess I just wanted to make my 100th post a bit longer then necesarry :p

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, if there wasn's so much money available in the game, those great and powerfull sold items would be harder to obtain. And really since there is so much gold available, those items should be sold for much more to make the player pick and choose.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

If those items cost more(as there is so much gold available in BG2), it would force a player to pick and choose which items he/she wanted to acquire. That might make them seem more special.

7. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

I used the Cloak of Non Detection extensively during BG1. Imoen and my main characters always traded the cloak for scouting, invisible surprise attacks, cloakwood mine assults, etc. I know I'm bringing up IMOEN again... but I used her skills abundantly in BG1. She ROCKED!!! However you would be correct in concluding that there is found more use of this cloak in BG2.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But I guess my question was what did it do for you in BG1... There are spells in BG2 that it protects against, but none that I recall in BG1... And it sure didn't make my character invisible or anything... <shrug>

9. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31

Veteran

I suppose some details are necessary. I used the Cloak of Non Detection WITH Stealth ability or potion of Invisibility or the like. There were numerous encounters that this combination gave an 'edge' to. No creature could 'detect' my character via any means. There are a slew of Spellcasters that would cast 'detect invisibility' any time my character would come near. Ogre Magi's, the Mages that are standing on the ruins (eastward from the Ankheg area), Mages in the Cloakwood mines, the Assasins in the Undersewers,etc. I did fail to mention that I used Kivan's stealth quite a bit -with the cloak- as well for scouting and the like.

Also once I was able to get the Spider's Bane I would run around in stealth mode with the cloak to set off some of the traps. Hope that clears up some of the 'things' that I used the Cloak for.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah! OK then... I guess I just didn't use stealth enough around spellcasters and such to see them cast those detection spells; I had forgotten that those spells even existed in BG1...

Thanks!

11. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It looks like you cheated though. A Mage can only get up to 17 level with the XP cap.

12. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Orgrim is up to his old tricks again!

How many time do i have to tell him! He's a power gamer! He must have got rid of the XP cap coz he sure couldn't have a mage *that* powerful.

And he has a totally POOOOOOOR selection of spells... cummon... no mage is gonna do round just casting "Horrible Wilting" all the bleeding time. Get a grip.

orgrim... if you want to be a power gamer... go play Diablo 2!

geeze man!

13. Who Deany Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Blatant power gaming again from Ogrin getting 18th level mage. Cheat. You think you know so much, with your 3 Abi-Dhalzims horrible wiltings tactic. Its not a tactic its just cowardly and basically cheating. And whats the point in killing Drizzt, don't think ya hard because your not hard enough to batter Drizzt, and you had to use an 8th level THREE times to kill him! And don't ever again post a topic on "fair tactics" because you don't know the meanings of the words.

14. Sir Phapylon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Whoa ! Harsh words there...

Actually, whats the meaning of playing BG2 when you have to avoid all good battle tactics cause "they are to powerfull" "its cheating", yada yada.

Get a grip, Bioware created those really high level powerfull spells for some reason... Its time for you all to relax and stop taking this cheating/not cheating so damn serious.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Ha! Orgrim's been getting the tag team from the Deany/Deano twins :)

Obviously Orgrim has a lot of fun swatting Dragons like flies, and that's really what owning the game is all about: fun.

Just because his idea of fun is different from yours doesn't mean he's deserving of your contempt...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 24, 2000).]

16. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bioware created those spells to cast from a scroll not to memorize. And you are right, it is his game, but he shouldn't go bragging about it if he cheated to get the character that powerful.

17. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well said, Blackthorne...

I'll leave the "cheating" argument to the other threads I've replied to..

Amon-Ra

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.