1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favorit Spell?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by someonebored, Oct 26, 2000.

1. someonebored Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Sorry if someone else posted this but I was just wondering what spells people liked or didn't. I'm playing again as a sorcerer and I was just wondering if you had any sugestions.

2. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

for the characters i use right now, I would have to say Lower Resistance.

3. Palpatine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well I don't have a real favorite. but if ya want suggestions for spells to learn as a sorcerer here goes (i'll give my "top 5" for a few levels):

1st level:
    Magic missile, ID, chromaic orb, protect from petrifaction and friends.

don't bother with armor cause you can get ghost and spirit armors. and you can get a find familier scroll easily and you should only cast it once.

2nd level:
    Melfs Acid Arrow, Blur, Vocalize, Ag's Scorcher, Knock

others to consider: Mirror Image, Stinking Cloud, Web

3rd level:
    Fireball, Fire Arrow, Ghost Armor, Remove Magic, Haste

others: Melf's Minute Meteors, Lightning Bolt

dispel magic, protect from cold and fire, and hold person can all be cast by clerics and/or druids so don't waste a spell on them. and if you want to pick monster summoning i'd wait for level 5 and get monster summoning 3.

4th level:
    Stoneskin, ice storm, fire shield (blue or red but probably not both), Secret Word.

others: Monster summoning 2 if you like cannon fodder (i'm not big on conjuring), polymorph other and self, spirit armor though i prefer ghost armor which is only 1 worse ac and doesn't hurt when it wears off.

5th level:
    Breach, lower resistance, Cloudkill, sunfire, Cone of Cold

others: lots of conjuring spells (conjur earth/air/fire elemental, monster summon 3) and more protection spells.

that should give you some help to get started. another thing is to remember what spells you've learned and don't overlap (ala armor/ghost armor/spirit armor, only take one) and consider how you'll use your sorcerer in battle, will you be attacking directly, attacking indirectly (removing protections, weaking, etc), or defending. then pick spells that suit your fighting style. i tend to attack indirectly then attack directly and leave most defense to my priests.

(and thus concludes my longest post to date)

4. mountain-mike Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

IMHO the BEST 4th level spell has to be Emotion. It knocks down enemies like Stinking Cloud, but you can wade in there and take them all out without being in danger yourself. I've been using it even up to the 5th chapter to great effect.

My other most used spell is the 2nd level Haste.

Also Rans:
    1st level spells would have to be Identify (unless you have a bard in the group), MM and Chromatic Orb.

2nd level stinking cloud and web

3rd level Fireball :-0, Dispel Magic and Spell Thrust

4th level Improved Invis.

5th level Breach, Cloudkill, Conjure Elemental and Sunfire

6th level any summoning spell, Truesight, Pierce Magic

BTW, I think the increased reliance on magig (protection/piercing) in BGII is right on target. Never has a mage been so indespensible.

5. Nefar Gems: 1/31

I'll try one for every level:

1st:
    Magic Missile. This one will be useful for wizards of any level. Perhaps the most useful spell of all.

2nd:
    Melf's Acid Arrow. The enemy wizards' bane. It does damage over a few rounds and prevents spellcasting.

3rd:
    Haste. Indispensible for many fights. But there are a lot of useful spells in L3. A hard decision.

4th:
    Wizard Eye. The ultimate spying device. To know whom you will face is the difference between victory and defeat in nearly all battles.

5th:
    Lower Resistance. If you want to keep accomplishing things with magic in the higher levels, this one is a must. Although the decision between Spell Immunity, Breach and LR is hard.

6th:
    True Sight: another one that is indispensable for high-level wizards. Most L6 spells are useful, but this is one you'll NEED.

7th:
    Ruby Ray of Reversal. One of two spells that can take down protections of any level. Is is impossible to win a fight in a non-cheating way against high-level wizards without either this one or Pierce Shield L8.

8th:
    Spell Trigger. Three spells in less time than it usually costs to cast one. Fill this with attack spells and many enemies will be dead before their Contigency has a chance to activate.

9th:
    Spell Trap. Make your enemies' spells re-fill your own arsenal! And there are only two spells in the entire collection that can bring this one down prematurely!

6. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, being a lone sorcerer through the whole game, I needed a lot of offensive spells. I love magic-users.

1st Level: Magic missle
    2st Level: Melf's acid arrow / Invisibility
    3st Level: Fireball / Melf's minute meteors
    4st Level: Barkskin / Improved invis.
    5st Level: Sunfire / Lower resistance
    6st Level: Deathspell / Earth elemental
    7st Level: FINGER OF DEATH ALL THE WAY!
    8st Level: Simulacrum / A.H.'s horrid wilting
    after I beat the game, I removed the XP cap; so, I got to use 9th level spells.
    9st Level: Time stop

No boss was really that hard. Even dragons were easy. Lower resistance 4x, Greater Malision, then Finger of death. Works every time. If anyone else loves the magic-users as much as I do, talk to me.

7. burntime Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

my fave spell is the cleric spell 'blade barrier', match it with a +3 weapon of choise and some strength modification, watch those evil mages turn to chunks.

8. someonebored Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I got about half way through it with a lone sorcerer and got bored. This time I'm playing with a party. They still kick @$$ though.

9. hooligan_inc Guest

I suggest using the editor to create a mage that only uses Abjuration spells, or illusion spells etc. It's really good.

i have a level 17 necromancer! The best character I've ever had!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.