1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fed up with BG.....

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by olimikrig, Mar 30, 2006.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's it! This game simply ain't fun for me anymore... I've squeezed and squeezed till I could squeeze no more! I just can't play Baldur's Gate II anymore...

I've have to admit that it has been a good time, and that I never imagined that this game could hold my attention for almost six years, when I first inserted the BG CD, and installed the game.

It's a shame, I admit, but it how things lay. this game just ain't fun for me anymore!

Now the question stands, whether I can (and should) try to squeeze a little more out of this game, and if so, how? I've played all the tough mods, I've tried loads of NPC's. Heck, I've even made my own mod! How can I squeeze just a little (maybe a years time) more fun out of this game? And most importantly, as mentioned above, should I?

Anyone else out there to whom BG just seems dead?

[ March 30, 2006, 17:15: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Create your own NPC mod. The level of immersion required to think on the events of the game as the character you're creating does will likely give you a new outlook on the game. A proper NPC mod should take you at least "a year's time", and the lingering effects should get you at least one more good game with your new NPC. :)

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Um, sounds like you have already had PLENTY of value out of this game! More than you would normally expect to get out of one game. Rejoice in that, and move on to something else, rather than trying to flog a dead horse forever.

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Aye, wise words Harbs old chap... and I guess it would also be for the best to stop whilst the memories of my time spent in the game are still fond... I wouldn't want the feelings of boredom I get when playing BG nowadays, to be what I remember this epic series by! That would be a shame...

@ Fel
    Though the idea is good, the thought of making a NPC mod doesn't intrigue me all that much... Maybe I should just stick with playing nwn modules (can't re-play the OC anymore, and simply just can't re-play SoU or HotU at all)... that way I'll also get some more reviews done :) .

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why not try that new Elder Oblivion thing that everyone keeps raving about? That seems to be quite popular.

6. olimikrig

Media:
    I would love to get my greasy little paws on Oblivion, just don't have the spare money to place on something like a computer game :( . Not if I want to eat, that is :p .

Besides, it's not out just yet (afaik anyway).

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, if you are really bored you should not play the game, at least give it a break for a good time. You can then miss and come back.

To tell you the truth, I can play the game rarely when I have the chance to be home that is, so I never get bored, in fact, I always want for more!

You may try insane solos like thetruth and Faraaz doing. Just an idea.

Do not worry, pal. It is really OK. You should play games for fun. If it is not fun anymore, you don't have to play...

8. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I too see BGII as being dead to me. It lasted an unholy amount of time and i still crave booting it up. However, the fun usually ends after the installation and im faced with the tedium of knowing everything that the game sends at me. I know all the areas, the quests, the npc's dialogues... it just offers no more appeal to me. Maybe in a few years i can play it through again, once more, for old times sake.

9. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Step back and put the game away a couple years ago. the memories of exactly how things work will fade and then it will be a bit more interesting again.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Or maybe, some new mods can be made during this time and you may have new and interesting things to try! Who knows? :roll:

11. Harbourboy

Go read a good book instead.

12. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    Play Baldur's Gate I? ^___^

13. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Lots of good advice here. Sounds like the general concensus is put it away. But come back again some day. I'd have to agree with that. I long ago got the point where I couldn't just keep playing it. But, every 6-8 months I'll get the urge and play through it once or twice. Then it'll lose it's appeal and I'll put it away.
    Heh... guess it's no small coincidence that my posting tendancies on here follow a similar pattern. :)

14. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I had a break with BG for more than three years, and when I came back, I realised, that I had missed it. Now with family and all that I can't play a lot, so an hour here and there keeps me going :)

15. Korick Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Olimikrig, Just to let you know I am working on a MOD. It is to Naila and the de' Arnise Keep. What the Mod does is add an additional choice after you defeat the trolls. Where you have the option to say "If I remember my traditions correctly it is my right as liberator of this keep to claim you as my bride” Then after selecting that option there is a whole series of events that follow. It includes a kidnapped pregnant Naila. It also has a return to the UnderDark to rescue Viconia’s brother (In the mod you will find you had a child by everyone slept with and quests to go with each child). But Alas, it will be a while until I finish. It is at 200 Meg right now and I figure I am half way through the story I have thought up. The only draw back is if you rush the came then you miss the children being born and the quests that go with them. I also plan to bring Shar-Teel and Branwen into the game as NPC's that can join the party.(just my opinion but Shar-Teel is the only mate worthy of the son of Bhaal.)

[ April 17, 2006, 01:40: Message edited by: Korick ]

16. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Like others have suggested, you might want to try making a clean break by taking up reading. If money's a problem, hopefully you have a public library nearby where you can borrow books for free.

Otherwise, if you're done with BG but still want to play similar RPGs, you might want to try either Icewind Dale game if you haven't already, or Planescape Torment, or the Fallouts. You should be able to find all those games on the cheap now in some kind of bundle package.

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Just chill for awhile. Go play something, go read, go out, just give the game a break for, ummm, maybe a couple of weeks or so and when you return you should miss it enough to want to play it again. No shame in saying your sick of BGII, after 6 six years that's pretty damn good Oli! I've been sick of some games WAAAAAAAAY before that!

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree - just give it a rest for a while. Try the Icewind Dale series, or the KoToR series - excellent.

I'm astonished, actually, that you've been playing that game for 6 years straight and NOW you're just barely getting sick of it. I usually get sick of it after a month, shelf it for 6 and pick it up again.

19. Drathir Darthirii Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I've been playing BGII for about 2 years now (even though we bought it when it came out - I was only seven or so then and couldn't actually do it!) and I'm getting a teeny bit bored of it now. I always get distracted by other stuff when I'm on it, and I keep starting new games all of the time now. A few mods have spiced it up a little, and I'm going to use some NPCs I haven't had before (such as Korgan and Valygar). Still, six years is pretty good going Oli. :grin:

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I got bored of BG2 ages ago, then I didn't play for a year than I replayed it. And that's about it. I guess it's been easily 6 months since I've played it. I don't even think the game's installed on me compy. It's not big deal Oli. :p :)

Edit: @ Imoen the Bhaalchild Nice nickname :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.