1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Feeling big yet?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] In a few hours, we'll be hitting the 500,000 posts mark on Boards O' Magick. I could say despite our best efforts, if I were in a joking mood. Heaven knows that we'd have hit half a million posts here years back if we didn't try to keep "spam" as confined as possible, and if I hadn't implemented the "you can't reply to your own post until someone else does" hack years back.

So the 500k we're reaching now actually means something. It's a nice round number, sure, but it also means that we got to it without actively encouraging anyone to go out of their way to make as many posts as possible - not even once. The community has simply grown so much on its own in a little less than 6 years since the boards have been set up. At the time I'm writing this, we've got 9650 registered members, 40 forums, 36853 threads and less than 80 posts left to 500,000.

At this point I'm really beyond amazement at how far we've all come, as a community, as a resource for the games covered, as a news site, as a provider of hosting for gaming sites, etc. SP is a well-oiled, heavy-duty machine that just keeps on going, and I'm confident that we'll all keep on going for years to come, if luck and fate will have it. Considering that we're hitting this milestone on the Easter Sunday, I might as well thank God for everything too - I don't bring God into any of my posts normally anyway, so doing it once won't hurt.

Of course, all of this would not have been possible without the dedication of all my fellow moderators and administrators, everyone on the news team, everyone else on the SP team (past and present), everyone submitting content to SP, everyone visiting SP, everyone donating to help with the site costs, everyone supporting the site through other means... the list goes on and on. If it weren't for all of you and all of that, I'd have probably lost interest in SP a long time ago and moved on to other things. But the fact that at this point I've got more plans for the future of our site and community than ever before should tell you that I'm far from getting bored, and that there's much more to look forward to in the future.

So, let's have a toast to our great history, but especially to our promising future!

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Everyone elses quantity mixed with my quality. Winning combination.

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

*raises his beer* Hurray, hurray!
    Long live the bboards, long live Tal!
    etc.
    :borg:

4. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Wheee. Without encouraging people to post alot? How many Random Babbling Threads we at now? :p

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:beer: This one's for Tal. Without him, I'd have to talk to people face-to-face instead of via a bunch of words.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    This one's on us Tal... :beer:

Just don't back down from us now! :p :rolling:

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, Tal's health! :beer:

Congrats on inventing it and making it work all the many years!

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

500,000 posts? *whistles*

Cheers, Tal. Thankee for my BG2 mods, and somewhere to hang out.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Aw, only 1%? :bad: :shake: Just kidding.

Anyway, here's a toast and a post, making our way to the big 500K. :beer:

10. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    500,000? That's quite a milestone! I personally think SP's biggest achievement is the strong sense of community. People go out of their way to offer support to people they have never met in RL. Somebody in pain is offered friendship and caring. I can't think of anywhere else we can get this as strong. So I would like to say a big thank you to Tal, and the other moderators for keeping SP healthy and alive.

11. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

:beer: :beer:
    Viva SP!
    :beer: :beer:

12. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sweetness, I tip my hat to you Tal, you be da dragon that started it all. I think my money is well spent. :beer:

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What's a dragon without a lair, heh? And look at the amount of gems. And if every single post is worth someone's 2 cents :2c: , the fat loot will probably attract more adventurers.

Congrats, Tal! :thumb:
    Bottoms up! :beer:

14. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

All hail the Pink One! :hippy:

15. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I love you, you lovwe me, we're one big happy family..... :D :D :D

'All hail SP!

:beer: :banana: :beer:

16. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It's easy to take things for granted. But the fact is, none of us would be here if it wasn't for one person and an idea. All my heartfelt thanks and love to Tal -- an extraordinary individual who had a vision -- and then the commitment to pursue it. ;) :thumb:

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Indeed well said! Vive le Board O' Magick! :beer: :banana: Half a million post? Wow amazing. Vive Tal!

18. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

:beer: for Tal

and

:beer: for SP

and

:beer: for all of the members (take a small sip we gotta pass it around 9650 times)

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Tal, I want you to know I'm admiring you. Keeping SP up and running must be no small task. I have joined the fun a bit late, but found a warm welcome among the motley bunch.

So, reaching half a million posts is a cause for celebration. Tal, I tip my hat (well, my beanie would be more exact) to you.

Smoking a cherry blunt to your health. And should you not smoke, then I guess I can make an exception and take a few shots of Jack Daniels instead. :p

20. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Congratulations Tal :banana:

And Congratulations SP :banana:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.