1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter Kits...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    At the moment I am soloing a Fighter through BG1, and I want to carry the character through to BG2. My question is simple, which Kit (I want to use one) should I pick?

My first pick would be Kesai, but I have never played the others so I would like your oppinion...Thanks! :)

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Are you going to solo in BG2? If so, I'd recommend a berserker. Nice immunities when raging and no armor problems.

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Yes I am going solo through all the games...apart from TotSC because I don't own it!

Thanks dmc! Keep 'em coming! :)

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you want to solo a kensai, then you've been spending too much time with your cousin, Puff the Magic Dragon. :p

Seriously, Berserker is the way to go. All the Kensai has going for it is better damage, but with serious armour restrictions (no helmets, gloves or body armour) and no ranged weapons allowed (except throwing weapons). The Berserker has no such restrictions, and as dmc said, the rage provides good immunities.

Kensai is do-able, I'm sure (never tried, though), but the berserker would definitely be easier.

5. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The no ranged weapons restriction isn't much of a restriction - ever seen what a Kensai can do with the Firetooth Dagger? :)

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wizard-Slayer. Mage-killer nr.1 and you can survive without the rings, necklaces, and bracers. Boots can still be used and in ToB, so can potions. Helmets and armors together with your weapons will provide you with your needed defence and with Vhailor's Helmet, there's NO way that a mage, lich or any other spellcaster will survive.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, good point. I forgot that a w/s can use potions in ToB; I've only tried one with an SoA-only install, and didn't like it due to the no-potion rule.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

You could always try one of the new Fighter Kitpacks reviewed by Aldeth. One of those might suit your needs better, or at least offer a little variety.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Play a Berserker to lvl 13, then dual-class him to thief.

If you are not dual-classing, then take a Wizard Slayer. They get to be INSANELY powerful in ToB.

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I agree. Also, I forgot to add one thing. Spell failure doesn't only apply to spells, but special abilities as well. 2 hits makes the berserker have 20% failure to his berserking, 20% failure for a warrior to use GWW, 20% failure to everything but a dragon's wing buffet.

11. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Kensai, but I'm biased when it comes to fighters now.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Kensai that dual weilds long swords or katanas

13. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Berserker rage is invaluable when soloing.

14. egervari Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Berserker is a clean, slightly over-balanced kit. It's good in chapter 1 all the way to the chapter 10. If you have not played BG2 before, it's not a bad place to start.

Don't start with mods right away. There is so much stuff you can do without mods that you can play the game 2 or 3 times before you even get to enjoying the mods. Don't spoil the "classic" approach to the game when it's your first go at it.

As for Kensai and Wizard Slayer, you have to do various things like equiping very specific items or using dual class combinations to make them more effective in the end. However, if this is your first time playing the game, don't expect to get it right. In the hands of a experienced player who is well aware of the items in the game, Wizard Slayer/Thief or Kensai/Thief or Kensai/Mage are very powerful classes. However, Beserker/Thief and Berserker/Mage are equally powerful as well.

So for simplicities sake, I say berserker. Rage is a simple and very effective ability to use and it doesn't have any bad restrictions that prevent you from messing up or mis-using the character. It also happens to be equally as powerful as any of the other combinations.

Ultimately, Kensai is probably the next hardest to master (pure kensai, or the multiclass combinations) and Wizard Slayer is probably the hardest of all.

15. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Don't knock Puff! I saw him last week in Hanelei (seriously)!

16. KoriBlade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Wizard Slayer: He doesnt need amulets rings or cloaks (well the cloak of mirroring would have been nice). Kensai....too low an ac for solo in my opinion. Beserker..... never tried him

17. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

What race is your Fighter?

What are his stats (This has a lot to do with the dual-class options people are suggesting)?

Which tomes have you found in BGI?

My advice: Go with Berserker or Wizard Slayer. If it's possible to Dual-class this character, start him as a Berserker or Kensai and dual to either Cleric or Mage, respectively.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.