1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter/mage/thief Stronghold

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by r'Hant, Oct 9, 2002.

1. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I was wondering if I can get (without cheats) more than one Stronghold with this multi-class. If anyone knows a way (first, if it is possible), please tell me about it.

Thank you for reading this.

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    All I know fot sure is that as a fighter/thief you can get both strongholds. So, I'm going to assume that you can get all three, but I won't guarentee it.

3. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

And we all know what happens when we assume. As I've always heard it, the ability for a F/T to get both strongholds is due to a bug. No other multi-class combo will allow for more than one stronghold.

[ October 09, 2002, 14:03: Message edited by: Spelladonna ]

4. r'Hant Gems: 3/31

Roger that, Magic-Italian-Woman. Next question:

What would be the best choice for a stronghold (since I'll get only one :sosad: )?

5. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

As a F/M/T I chose the thief stronghold. I liked it, you can get extra money this way, but it depends what you want. I'd already had the fighter stronghold in a previous quest as a Kensai/Mage. I have yet to chose the Mage stronghold.

With a F/M/T at least, if you chose the thief stronghold, and later to the Arnise Keep quest, Nalia doesn't offer it to you - although near the beginning the 'recommened quest' by Galen or the boy is that quest, so if you don't have the thief stronghold you can choose between all 3.

It's a matter of choice. Ideally, choose one that you won't choose in your next game to have a variety!

6. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

When I ran a F/M/T, I took the fighter stronghold. For me, it had more interactions and it was kind of cool to be the lord of the lands. That and having a chance to take out a very pompous individual made it worthwhile. The mage stronghold, IMO, was just not interesting and I hated having to rush back to the thieves guild every 5 days to keep from losing it.

Again, just my opinion. I'd be interested in hearing which you choose and what you thought about it.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, when I ran a F/M/T I found I had the option of either Mage and Fighter or Thief and Fighter (maybe my bug works differently than others). So long as you take the fighter second, you can pick either of the others first. As far as which one I would take if it was only one (I have done all three, so variety is not a factor), I think fighter because it offers the aforementioned chance to whack a few insolent blowhards and also because it offers rewards as experience (rather than gold). I never hurt for money in this game, but experience is always welcome. I think I would take the mage second, as it too offers experience by allowing you to send the Knights home and have the graduation of your apprentices (if they survive). To me, the thief stronghold wound up being more of a pain than fun. Hurry back, you've got to pay your dues, blah, blah, blah. If there was a chance to personally take part in some caper to rob a noble's estate (or something similar a la BG1), now that would be fun. Directing hirelings, not so fun (in fact, it sounds too close to real life, and, while this is a role playing game, I'm not role-playing a shop steward).

8. r'Hant Gems: 3/31

Thank you all! You've been of great help.

I'm going for the mage stronghold (i've already been Lord of De'Arnise Keep :) ). If there's something worth mentioning, I'll post it.

9. Legitas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] IMHO the fighter stronghold is best as it gives gold and don't require your attention after all its quests. Mage stronghold gives no money , but also don't require your attention. As for the thief stronghold there is only one quest and you still have to show up every week to pay your "taxes" or else you will loose your stronghold (offcourse you can buy it out afterwards) ;)

10. r'Hant Gems: 3/31

I'm back...missed me?

This is what happened to my character:

I chose the the mage stronghold. After that, I went to De'Arnise Keep and slaughtered those pathetic creatures (I had reached Chapter 6 by then :evil: ). When I spoke to Nalia, she offered me the keep :grin: . It seems dmc was right. Now I have both strongholds...

...shhh...be very very quiet...hehehehe...I'm hunting Cowled Wizards...

11. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

choose the mage stronghold, but... GET THE WALKTHRUOGH!!!!! i cant stress that enough. Your lovely little aprentices will die if you dont go the correct way, and some of the items thatyou could receive will be abolished if one of the apprentices dies. the walkthrough should be on the sp home page.

12. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

Having 2 strongholds wasn't your question, though. Your question was whether or not you could get all 3.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not quite correct. The original post said:

More than one is, obviously, not the same as all three.

14. RD_TheOne Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am a multi class Fighter/Mage

I have both the fighter and mage stronghold, but if you get the fighter stronghold first, the mage stronghold won't be offered to you. So I got the mage then the fighter stronghold.

The thief stronghold is a pain.
    Go for mage and fighter! their are good are EXP and fun as well.
    If all apprentice survives, one actually comes back to make potions for you!

"Live by the sword, live a good looong life!"

15. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31

@DMC

Right. Your topic is Fighter/mage/thief Stronghold; your statement was if it were possible to get more than one stronghold with this multi-class (meaning the F/M/T multi-class).

Right now, we know that you can get, and have, two. The question of the third, however, remains unanswered.

16. dmc

Media:
    @Spelladonna - I do not believe it is possible to get all three. I tried with my F/M/T by taking the thief first, then going for the mage, and by taking the mage first and then going for the thief (my assumption was that fighter would have to be last in any event). Unfortunately, in both instances, I was shut out. I did not try to see what would happen by getting the fighter stronghold second, because I'm not that much of a masochist as to redo the same quests six times (just to cover all possibilities), so there may be a way to get all three. I also remember seeing somewhere that you can change some variable in Shadowkeeper or something similar to allow you to get all the strongholds, but that never excited me very much.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.