1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighter/Rogue, work on dex or str?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by TheGlow, May 23, 2004.

1. TheGlow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I currently have a Tiefling Fighter2/Rogue2 and was wondering if I should work on raising dex or str?
    Str is currently 18 and Dex is 20.
    I figure armor will cramp on my dex ac bonus and stealth skills.
    But str will yield more damage and I wouldnt need to grab finesse.
    Im dual wielding, usually long blades. And a single longblade for sneak attacking.

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'd raise strength, because then you deal more damage and get higher attack bonus. Raising dexterity is also good idea, but as you said, armor limits that.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Strength if you don't use Finesse or bows much. If dual-wielding heavier weapons and having lower BAB because of rogue levels, you're going to need high bonus to offset it.

With a great STR score you could pull off the following trick:

Power Attack on 5 (5 to damage for 5 off your to hit bonus), Greater Cleave. If you kill it, you get a free attack. And if you deal lots of damage (with PA), you're more likely to kill it.

Also, with a high to hit bonus, Expertise starts to make sense (AC boost at the cost of to hit bonus). Sometimes it's a good thing to have.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Strength - as armour negates enough of the advantage of high Dex. But also consider micro-managing stats to make use of various items you'll find during the game that may boost STR or DEX by 1 point, allowing you to squeeze that little bit extra out of odd numbered stats.

5. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Since Tieflings can't reach high AC's the way Svirfneblins can, I'd vote for Strength. You'll get hit anyway by stronger monsters, and especially in HOF if you're planning to go there.

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Strength's the way to go... you get more damage, you get to-hit bonus, you get to carry more stuff...in exchange for a paltry +1 or 2 to AC..which would get negated by armor anyway...I say go for strength.

7. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Str it should be... you can greatly improve your sneak attack with it. Go for the str bonus, as dex will most likely disrupt your armor too.

8. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Can I put a vote in for Dex? Although dex, won't help improve AC much because of armour, it will still help. It will also allow you to use lighter armour with better mods. Lighter armour will also impede your thief skills less. The extra dex will go towards increasing your thief skills.

This said, it's a simple choice:
    Str - Hit and Damage
    Dex - Hit (finesse), improved AC and improved skills

9. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

however even wearing the lightest normal armor in the game your dex caps at +6 and the armor provides only 2 extra so your gonna get hit most of the time anyway so you might as well do some damage or at the least stop dex after 22 thought that will ruin finesse if you have it or reduce your strength bonus so you've gotta go one way or the other. And i say that way should be str

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.