1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fighting Styles with Missile Weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 20, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm sure this is in a game manual somewhere, but I cannot find it. Do you get the bonuses from fighting styles with missile weapons? For example, will you double your critical hits by spending proficiency points in "two-handed weapon" while using a bow, or "single weapon" when using a sling? Slings and bows certainly fit into these categories, but I was wondering if the bonuses only applied to meelee weapons.

2. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think they would. If you read about two-handed weapons, they focus on swords but I believe the bonuses also apply to staves.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't think that weapon style bonuses apply to missile weapons. The sword and shield style sorta does in that it is contingent opn whether or not you use a shield, and only effects your AC, but I don't think something like two handed style applies to anything other than two handed MELEE weapons like two handed swords, quarterstaves and halberds.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't know about you guys, but I always thought it was lame that there wasn't a "Missile Weapons" style. It's just as viable a fighting style as 2 weapon, 2-handed weapon, single weapon and sword & shield. It would give you something like added accuracy, damage, or attacks, or even increase your AC in close-quarters combat. Ya know? Just think of how powerful the Archer is already...now with that added bonus. Think of the possibilities. This would be great for a thief, or help out mages with their backrow slinging. Am I alone on this?

5. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

i agree with you death rabbit (almost put the u here hehe)

6. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I was wondering the same thing, so I did a little test in the game I'm currently playing. I've got Nalia wielding a short bow with one proficiency slot in two-handed weapon. I went to kill something and when she rolled a 19, there was no critical hit. So my guess is no, weapon styles don't give bonuses when using a missile weapon.

7. Dark_Paladin_Draco Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Something interesting, sword and shield applies to slings, dunno if it's some weird bug or not. Not sure about two handed weapon or not... I'll check that out.

8. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] No, none of the weapon styles (besides sword and shield) give bonuses to missle-weapon wielding characters. Pity there wasn't a Missile Weapon Fighting Style, but you get that :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.