1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finnish Metal

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Telcontar, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Telcontar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Well here we go? Im from Serbia, but i think Finland has the best metal scene in world ( dont say USA, i dont like Slipknot, Limp and stuff like that )
    Nightwish, Sinergy, Children of Bodom, Stratovarius, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, For my Pain, Impaled Nazarene, Sinergy, Lordi, Finntroll... name it...
    Do you like any/all of this bands... some from finland maybe ?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

From your list I've only heard songs from Nightwish - can't say I like them that much.
    Another Finnish metal band is Entwine - they're quite okay, nothing brilliant or terribly original sounding, but better than most utter crap which you find circulating (eg. Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, ect.)

Anyhow - The Netherlands have the best metal bands in the world :p

3. Telcontar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

When it comes to Holland, i only heard Within Temptation and The Gathering... very good bands :)

4. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yep, the Finns sure can make music... You mentioned Sinergy twice, and forgot, amongst others, Tarot and Barathrum.

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I have always thought Finnish people quite mysterious. Something about Finnish people that you don’t get with Norwegians and Swedish folk. As a child, I thought Finnish people were cannibal barbarians who live in tree houses. ;>

6. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Finnish metal is great! Quite a few of my favourite bands are from Finland(i.e CoB, Strato, Nigthwish, Sonata Arctica(?)) :D

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

hmmh... And here was I thinking that the best metal comes from Norway, oh well.

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I favor finnish rock over finnish metal... but finnish metal is good too. ^_^

AVOID listening finnish rap or hip-hop... Finnish rap and hip-hop both suck...
    (Mix Britney Spears with Spice Girls = finnish hip-hop. :p )

NP - Eppu Normaali - Suomi-ilmiö

(BTW... NP - Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus - Lumessakahlaajat... you should hear this one. Finnish rock/metal (can't decide. :p ) at it's best. ^_^)

9. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The finnish people have a strange ability to create highquality metal indeed! Nightwish, sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, they are among my all time favourites! and IIRC Moonsorrow is from finnland? band of genoiuses. mix metal with samie :D brilliant!

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Boy am I in the wrong thread, my initial thought upon seeing the title was that it would be a metalurgical discussion about the difference in quality between Finnish and other countries alloys i.e. comparing Finish steel with Spanish/German/Japanese etc.

I guess that marks me down as being heavily in the Geek column :lol:

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

12. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@Thor NukeADoom
    Yep, Moonsorrow is Finnish band. And a good one :)

My personal favourite Finnish metal bands are Nightwish, Sonata arctica, Moonsorrow and Sentenced.

13. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Yeah Men I love Nightwish, Children of Bodom and Fintroll Other bands from Finland that I like are HIM, Turbonegro and Daniel Lioneye! ( I also have a "thing" for M2M :) )

About the Dutch Metalscene There is more then just Within Temptation and The Gathring! Think about After Forever, Autumn and severe torture and of course Moordpoppetjes! And indeed Limp and Slipknot suck, but Slip had a few good, I must say funny, tunes...

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Children of Bodom are my all time favourite band. Eternal Tears of Sorrow are ok, they are also Finnish.

Anyone heard of Kamlah?

15. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Hey Sleepless, a fellow bredanaar! :) How was your carnaval? :p

The Finnish metalscene is indeed very good. Personally, the dutch metalscene hasn't really impressed me. I don't know what it is, but I never really liked any of the dutch bands. *shrug*

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I never knew Holland had a metal-scene, I never knew Within Temptation was metal, I thought Within Temptation was just another of those talentless bands who get classified as metal because the music industry only know three groups, metal, rap and soul.
    You recognise a talentless band when you see one, watch a music channel, and every band that is broadcasted more than 2 times a day can be classified as talentless..

I don't listen to the radio or the music/tv channels because the only thing they broadcast is "soul"(Jean Paul, or shampoo, or whatever his name is) or rap(read Eminem, aka Donald Duck) or "rock"(Since when are Limp Bizkit, Evanescence and Linkin Park heavy metal :confused: )

IMO, the only good finnish band is Apocalyptica, the one with 4 punks covering Metallica with cello's...

17. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

mmm Tarja.. shame she's married :(

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

So if Within Temptation isn't metal, then what is it? I'm not thinking of any other genre they could fit into. And in what way are they talentless? Oh, wait, your idea of talentless is any band that gets airplay. I guess that means that their level of talent varies depending on what country their music is being played in. In Holland they're probably extremely talentless, while here in Australia their talent level soars. Amazing how having people knowing your songs increases and decreases how good you are...

There are a lot of bands that I don't like, but would still say have talent. Maybe you should judge less by the media - you seem to have a problem with anything and everything that is popular. Maybe some things are popular for good reason.

[ February 28, 2004, 02:12: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

19. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Yes, some of them are, most aren't. At least IMO. Just look at Britney, Justin, nearly every boyband etc....

20. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Bands with talent hardly get broadcasted, because the majority doesn't want to hear that, they want to hear "cool" music, music about chicks and parties and Domald Duck(M&M) calling everybody gay. And the musicchannels are in for the money and not for the talent, so they just broadcast the same crap over and over again.

And yes, Holland has no talent, seen the prick that won Dutch Idols? That Jamai who ended last on the World Idols, when it comes to negative scoresystem, he is the reason why they invented that!
    And that type of talent is the only thing they broadcast!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.