1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First solo run

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Cap'n CJ, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well, i've decided to create a new experience for myself by playing a solo character from BG -> ToB.

Any recommendations on race, class, anything?

2. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

This question isn't worth asking unless you don't want to play a mage. Mages are the easiest and cheesiest characters to solo with so unless you want a little more of a challenge that's what everyone is going to recommend.

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    People have been saying about a Ranger/Cleric. Are they really as good as people say?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Yup. Anomen + choosing stats + higher warrior level + druid spells (Ironskins) - attitude = WIN!

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Okay, so i've had a few thoughts... Here goes.

I'll play an Elf R/C
    After racial bonuses, i'm aiming for stats of:

Str - 16+
    Dex - 20
    Con - 16
    Int - 10
    Wis - 18
    Cha - 16

I'll get ** in Warhammers, then after that probably Flails.

As for spells, i'll have him memorise buffs almost exclusively.

How do y'all rate it?

6. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31

Personally I'd go with a fighter/thief. There's nothing more annoying than having to reload over and over because you keep getting hit by an insta-kill trap. They also make pretty short work of mages when they're detect illusion score is high enough. As far as combat goes, they have some of the best HLA's and when you start mixing and matching you can forget about it.

7. Felinoid

I rate it...very very off.

1. Only half-elves can be R/Cs (though humans could dual it).
    2. Remember this is 2e. Elves get +1 DEX & -1 CON, not +2/-2.
    3. STR (and CON & DEX, for that matter) as high as possible. You'll be meleeing every battle, so you'll need it. WIS being as high as possible is a no-brainer.
    4. As in 4 weapon proficiency points at first level. I'd also get slings just for a quick huck at somebody as they close for melee.

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Dammit, I'm too used to 3.5 >.<

Okay, new stats:
    Half Elf

Str - 18
    Dex - 18
    Con - 18
    Int - 10
    Wis - 18
    Cha - 16+

I wouldn't mind a nice high Cha for prices... Then again, I should be fairly rich anyway as i'll be able to sell a lot of items the party would normally use.

9. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31

Um...how exactly are you planning on getting those ability scores? 98? Are you serious? Unless you're either using SK or plan on spending a few hours rolling, I think you'd do better to try for high 80's, low 90's.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are a lot of classes that do well soloing (just check various threads in ToB and SoA forums). I've read about:
    Monk
    Sorcerer
    Bounty Hunter
    Blade
    Paladin (any of the kits).

Multiclasses that keep popping up as fun to play:
    Fighter/Mage
    Fighter/Mage/Thief
    Mage/Thief
    Cleric/Mage
    Ranger/Cleric
    Dual classes will work too.

I've been having fun with a gnome cleric/thief (my first solo). I chose a C/T because I don't play either very well. Soloing with this character has been remarkable easy -- it would be even easier with a M/T.

I think just about every class has been played solo by someone on SP (with the possible exception of the Beastmaster).

The real question is what kind of character(s) do you enjoy playing. Keep in mind HLA's -- you'll start gaining them about halfway through the quests in chapter 2/3.

11. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    It's possible to pick up those rolls. I'll take my time if I have to ;)

12. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31

Yes, its possible. Its possible to get 18 for every score. Its also possible to call a coin flip 100 times in a row. Doesn't make it any of it plausable.

13. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I could kick a few points off and decide that I want my finishing stats close to that after tomes I guess... The most likely stat to push down for me is Charisma. Maybe Con down to 16. We'll see when I start rolling.

14. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31

There's absolutely no reason to put anything into charisma. First of all, you just need SOMEBODY with decent charisma to get the bonuses. Secondly, there's a ring that gives 18 charisma right outside of Irenicus' dungeon.

15. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

No, you must use Ctrl-8 in character creation, and you get 18 in every stat. (If you have enable the Cheat Keys ;) )

Cheeesyyyyyyy!

16. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Firstly, this is a solo run, so there wont be anybody else.

Secondly, i'm going from the start of BG1.

17. Felinoid

98 is a very plausible roll; I've gotten occasional rolls in the hundreds. All it takes is persistence.

18. gatsbygoon Gems: 5/31

I've gotten a roll like that once the entire time I've played and I discarded it because I was an elven warrior and my exceptional strength score was 18/06. LAAAAAAAAAAMMMMEEE!

19. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why? I've always thought that, as a Bhaalspawn, you'd be an exceptional specimen. I'm not saying it's not cheesy to SK yourself 25's in every stat, or even to ctrl-8 your starting stats, but if someone wants to reroll for however long it takes to get exceptional stats, I see nothing wrong with that.

20. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Imoen - 87
    Sarevok - 98

Something in between that is fair, afterall it took 6 of you to kill Sarevok first time around so he deserves to be uber.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.