1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First time Kelsey user here

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, May 4, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

[​IMG] Wow, what a great mod!

He's quite the chatterbox, I'll give him that though!

2. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Are you romancing him? He will seriously never shut up.

I do like him, though. :)

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

At least he doesn't whine about his wings, drunken father, dead husband or the surface. :D

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

He is quite a good sorcerer as well. I like his banter, his romance (not finished yet... it stopped for a time, I had to play God and force him to like me again :D ). Using 8 magic missiles in one sitting is nice :D

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ever since i first used him, i've allways installed it when i went for another play of BG 2, soon after followed by solaufein and valen.

I especially like the pack that adds banters between kelsey and solaufein, wich makes having them in a party together add a bit more depth to both of their chatacters. :)

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Hmmm I am tempted to play a female PC for the next time! :shake: Thank you for sharing your newest experience!

7. Sorun Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Is the banter pack from the Pocket Plane Group the one that adds banters between Kelsey and Solafein?

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

The newest version of Kelsey will let you do that if you have Soulafein installed first.

9. Klorox

I know it's offtopic (but hey, I started this one! ;) ), but is Solaufein a "fair" character, or is he really overpowered compared to the other NPCs?

10. Gregor Gems: 7/31

I think he's fair enough, stats/class-wise. It's only his Moonblade of Cheese +27 that puts him over the top. :rolleyes:

11. Klorox

Care to explain? I don't have the mod....

12. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Solaufein is often regarded as Wes Weimer's alternative to Control-Y. In SoA, he gets a sword that affects him with draw upon holy might, death ward, chaotic commands, and some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head. Later on, he gets a moonblade with even more powers that that.

13. Klorox

Okay, I won't be downloading him.

14. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

@Klorox: I'll follow your "advice" and dl this fellow, could be worth it all!!??

:shake:

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Considering what comes with the mod, Sola is not overpowered. I barely survived the first encounter he provides (Wraith spiders iirc) and found he continually died despite my efforts of protection. If you got rid of his encounters, then he's overpowered, simply due to his multiclass status.

16. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @kuemper: Anyone more powerful than the PC can possibly could be is overpowered, in my humble opinion. Given that Sola is immune to timestop from his moonblade, has high magic resistance, is immune to all mental attacks and death spells from his other sword, and gets a whole bunch of other abilities from his swords I haven't bothered to mention, I'd have to say he is a lot more powerful than the PC......ergo, overpowered.

17. Gregor Gems: 7/31

Well...that depends on what OTHER mods you have, Drew. Some of the items from Improved Planar Sphere and Improved Asylum can put you right up there with His Royal Cheesiness. ;)

18. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

There's tons of cheesy mods out there. But Drew was only warning about Sola who's overpowered.

19. Gregor Gems: 7/31

His contention is that Sola is overpowered because he's more powerful than the PC can possibly be, mostly because of the weapons he's been given. However, you can eliminate that imbalance by using weapons from other mods. If you're gonna play with Sola, why stop the cheese at his moonblade? Get a little provolone from the planar sphere, and a little brie from the asylum. Add crackers and serve.

20. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Actually Sola gets only one sword, a Moonblade (Tsuki-no-ken).And there is a 50% chance depending on your responses (if you choose to romance him) to gain a special ability-spell, the Moonray, instead of the sword.I have heard people (Weimer included) claiming that it can be even more powerful than the Moonblade.
    Also the Moonblade does not give immunity to timestop.Here are the STATS of the upgraded +5 version (available only in ToB) :

Equipped Abilities: Free Action, Luck, +2 AC Bonus, +1 attack per round
    Additional Equipped Abilities: Armor of Faith, Draw Upon Holy Might, Death Ward, Chaotic Commands
    Combat Ability: Each hit has a 25% chance blinding the victim with lunar radiance and inflicting 12 points of fire damage over the course of 3 seconds.
    THACO: +5 bonus
    Damage: 1D8 +5

Also Solaufein,as a Drow, has 74% innate Magic Resistance.
    IMHO Sola is overpowered, probably the second most powerful NPC after Valen.But if you choose not to use his Moonblade or Moonray it makes him much more balanced.
    And as kuemper said, don't forget that with the Sola mod come 2 of the most difficult fights in the game.Especially the Eclipse encounter is IMHO the 2nd most difficult encounter of modded BG (second only to the Ascension final if on insane).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.