1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Forgotten Realms novels... where to start?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shadowcouncil, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Ok, i'll try the Forgotten Realms books.... Tomorrow I will buy ONE book to start with... with wich one should I start?

(sorry Tal, as long as I have no credit card, I just go to the local game-store and just buy the book)

2. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I liked the Dark Elf Trilogy best, but the first book of the Icewind Dale trilogy was good too.

3. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Or, you could start with the first of the Elminster books, The Making of a Mage.

4. C'Jakob Guest

Start with Elminster and Drizzt books, I suppose. After all, they are the two most overpowered characters in FR who influence about 50% of what goes on in Faerun.

5. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Pool of Radiance, Azure Bonds or Darkwalker on Moonshae. :grin:

They're really old.

And don't forget the Avatar Trilogy.

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited March 18, 2002).]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd start with the Dark Elf Trilogy.

7. ender Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think the cleric quintet by ra salvatore are the best books, i believe the first one was canticle.

8. If you start with Elminster, you'll be put off from FR altogther.

Start with IWD trilogy, like I did, or the Avatar Trilogy.

9. Walala Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

honestly, it doesnt really matter what books u start with
    the forgotten realms is so big and vast u can pretty much start anywhere

it doesnt have a continuing storyline like dragonlance but it does have a few series that affect the realms in big ways that ppl consider those to be the main storylines

u should start with the icewind dale and avatar trilogys.....those should give u something of a foundation......then when u get the hang of it u can look for other books to add to ur knowledge

10. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

next i would do the 'songs and swords' ?trilogy?

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    songs and swords doesn't really affect very much of Faerun at all, but it's one of the best triologies in the series...so go for it

hmmm, now that I think about it, the books aren't you standard sort of triology (time jumps inbetween. Still, buy it. Read it. Enjoy it.)

And do for God's sake NOT read Elminster in Hell or Spellfire, as they're two of the most annoying books I've ever read

[This message has been edited by AMaster (edited April 10, 2002).]

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You could try the older book series, but they're not likely gonna get you hooked, and if you dislike melodrama, avoid the Songs and Swords and the Halruaa series like a plague. Like everyone else I'd recommend the Drizzt books, esp. the IWD trilogy since it was the first one Salvatore published of that series

13. Horborg Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I too would start with the Cleric Quintet, and the first book is Canticle.

14. bocam Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Haven't read any of these book but they seem to be really good, might just follow the advice above and start to read them, nothing better than a good book

15. zaknafein Guest

If you start with Drizzt then you will either be compeled to buy the rest of them or be compeled to burn them. Me, I was compeled to buy them:)

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Ok, I can order the Dark Elf Trilogy or the Icewind Dale Trilogy for a good price....

The Dark Elf Trilogy is a set of 3 books: Homeland, Excile and Sojourn. Are this 3 books in succession?

The Icewind Dale trilogy contains The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver and The Halflings Gem.

I read that the Icewind Dale Trilogy comes directly after the Dark Elf Trilogy.... So I can better start with the Dark Elf Trilogy first?

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes and yes. And, like I said a million times before, they're all listed in the correct order on SP.

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

hehe, I don't buy them here, sorry Tal. No credit card.... :) But thanks that I can use the list to see the right order of the books :)

19. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'd Go for Dark Elf Trilogy, then move to the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Another place to start are the brilliant Harper Series by Elaine Cunningham.

There ya, dont read elmo series, it will spoil it IMHO.

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Gopher, exactly what I indeed will do. I'll get the dark elf trilogy next week.. and after that I'll go for Icewind Dale Trilohy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.