1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fun character themes

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] What are some fun themes that a character can adopt by choosing an appropriate class/kit and equipment?

The combo doesn't have to be all-powerful, but the theme has to be the central focus.

This is probably best illustrated with examples:

The simplest example is the "Dragon theme." Cavalier (or ranger with dragon as the racial enemy) armed with the set of dragon equipment. (Dragon helm, sword, shield, halberd)

A funner example would be a "Fire theme." A fighter-type armed with the two-handed Harbinger and 100+ % fire resistance. That way the random percent chance fireball doesn't hurt the weilder while you hack and fry everything else!

I hope I mentioned the two most obvious ones and there are plenty more creative ideas out there. Let's hear them!

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

You could always have a Balduran Theme (if you could get all the parts).

Another cool theme would be the Magi theme, but I'm not sure all those things exist.

uhhhh, elements theme? Over 75% Res. to all the elements.

I'm spent...

3. Blog Gems: 23/31

Woo, elemental theme, that'd be good. Too bad there aren't more cold or elec attacks, but it'd still be fun. Especially elec immunity and lots of lightning bolts!

Or add a poison theme. Assassin, poisoned daggers, that poisoning scimitar (scarlet ninjito +3) and flail (Wyvern's tail).

Or an anti-mage theme: Wizard Slayer, that axe (or flail?) that adds spell casting failure, as high magic resistance as possible (wonder if 100% is possible :hmm: ).

[ March 29, 2003, 03:13: Message edited by: Blog ]

4. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

How about the naked slayer? A monk with no equipment.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

You could get close to a hundred with Viconia (with TDD), but I don't think with anyone else. A Wizard-Slayer doesn't get very good mag. res., because it's only 1% (or was it 2) per level (yuck!) and can't use any magical items except armor and weapons. There's no mag. res. armor, so you'd be stuck with mag. res. of around 65 or 70 (which you can get with Keldorn anyhow).

6. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I once tried to get the ultimate magic user. A Cleric/Mage with 18 INT.
    With the aid of Potions of Genius I managed to copy all the spells up to level 7 into my spellbook except for two (Spook & Contagion). I got most of the 8's and a few 9's before the game ended.
    Some items will give you extra spells per day. Some items will reduce casting times.
    This character had LOTS of spells to choose from.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How about an Animal Lover's party:

1 Beast Master
    1 Totemic Druid
    1 Conjurer
    and of course, the king of animal luvvin', Minsc!

Even take the conjurer or a bard as your PC to get a familiar. Add in whomever in the other 2 slots. Maybe a Barbarian (for his 'animalistic' side) and a Bounty Hunter (more traps=more pets! Woohoo!) :D

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

How is a Conjurer an animal lover. And besides, I think he means equipment, not party members.

9. Blog Gems: 23/31

The Conjurer was for the Find Famaliar animal. But you could also consider the polymorph other/self and or Shapeshift mage spells for added animal instinct.

Just add the Ring of Animal Friendship to round up the theme.

10. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Are regenerating effects cumulative? Then how about a super-regenerating character?

Both rings of regeneration, the ioun stone of regeneration, the Sword of Chaos regenerating one hp per strike, and a regenerating potion. Any I'm forgetting?

You could simultaneously amp fire resistance to 127%, thereby regenerating every time you were hit with fire "damage".

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

about the regen. char. Don't forget to use the Ring of Gaxx instead of the regeneration ring. And also remember to have 25 con. :D

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Undead slayer with mace of disruption (undead slaying) is a theme of himself. Besides that one could always imitate historic characters. However, most fun you have once you introduce a character based on yourself to the game ;) In my case that's a paladin whose three latter stats are twice the previous three, hehe.

13. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Naked Babe,
    Female, human, monk.

14. Blog Gems: 23/31

Whoo that regenerating character is a good idea! Add the Dragonslayer or Blackrazor for time-based regenerating weapons (as supposed to the hit-based regenerating ability of the Sword of Chaos).

I think boots of speed also speeds up the regenerating process, so that might help.

Or you can consider classes like Shapeshifter (werewolf change) or be a magic-user and cast things like shapeshift or polymorph self (to troll) or Regeneration (cleric). Oh, and cloak of the sewers allows for a troll form too.

15. chevalier

Media:
    It's nothing when compared to my IWD2 paladin laying hands when in Histachi form ;)

I suppose one could achieve more with custom kits. I once created some White Knight. Among other things laying hands on self didn't work for him (it's a lame d&d concept that a paladin should be able to lay hands on himself for healing). That laying hands used no laying hand amount since it healed the target fully (as I believe it should be). Some non-standard resistances to match the general impression and, hate powergaming, -2 dex -2 con. Out of this world, isn't he? Hehe.

16. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Actually, the anti-magic theme is more than plausible. Simply have a wizard slayer, crank him up to level 25, then dual class to a theif. You will get 5 fighter hla's and 3 theif hla's at level 40. Guess what, UAI (Use any item). Then, nab Casomyr and equip it. You should be well over 90 % magic resistant. Fun, what?

17. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Why not have a colour scheme!
    I once had a character with the red dragon scale armour, the red dragon helm, and the the Holy Avenger. (sorry can't remember what the armour is called) All red!
    Or if you wanted a one handed weapon, then you could use the dragon shield. (sorry, again I can't remember the name) :rolleyes:

There's probably tonnes of other schemes you could have.

18. chevalier

Media:
    Gathering skyhigh resistance is not really much like a theme. Well, I suppose fire resistance is the most common one. My paladin had over 100. Being a cavallier immune to poison as well... also some other resistances on very high levels. In conjunction with his untouchable throws... hehe. Carsomyr 50% res from magic, some more points from other sources that I don't recall now and 50% magic damage reduction from a belt. Hehe, that's called untouchable theme ;)

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For familiars, and summoning animals & monsters (as is conjuration's focus). I know he meant one character, but making a whole party with a single theme is a fun way to play. :)

Has anyone ever tried making a party of all the same race? Gnomes, humans, and elves can cover all classes...

[ April 01, 2003, 20:47: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

20. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] How about the Balduran theme? Plate, Shield and Helm of Balduran are all available. Some hefty sword should finish the job.
    Heck you could even call yourself Baldur Baldurson, and say you came from Baldur's Gate! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.