1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fun items in Oblivion or Morrowind

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Nakia, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What is your favorite fun item(s) in these games? Not that fantastic weapon or armor but just something that is fun to have. In Morrowind there are the Boots of Blinding Speed and in Oblivion the Boots of Springheel Jak. Any others?

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The scrolls of (something) flight in Morrowind. The ones that gave you a +1000 to acrobatics that you find on the dead mage who falls from the sky in the swamp. Those are always fun (providing I have a potion of levitation so the fall doesn't kill me)

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I just find it Ironic that you get a Skeleton Key in Morrowind after your Security skill is so high that you can pick any lock with an apprentice lock pick...

Also with the scroll that The Magister refered to, I used one once to jump from the corner of St. Olms in Vivecall the way to the top level of the Foreign quarter...

Only time I ever got it to work right...

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

The scroll you're referring to is called Scroll of Icarian Flight I think. Supposedly if you can cast a strong feather spell on yourself, the scroll has some very dramatic effects.

I hear you can actually use the Boots of Blinding Speed if you have a constant effect resist magick item equipped.

I like to collect the different styles of clothing.

5. Luiz Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Strangely enough, I like the numerous little trinkets that have ranged Destruction magic enchantments on them. It's a neat way to fire off a little damage or debuff and pull a distant target towards your position, if you have an almost pure melee build (no Marksman or Destruction). I use things like a Cruel Viperbolt ring or the Amulet of Admonition more often than I employ almost any other enchanted item, excepts CEs.

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Note that the Scrolls of Icarian Flight can actually be used in pairs. Cast another one just before you hit the ground, and your suddenly re-uber Acrobatics skill will keep you from taking any damage. Time it right, and you can make a double jump with the three scrolls. Other options are ridiculously strong Slowfall spells (not Feather, which just reduces your encumbrance; yeah, I thought the same at first), or disrupting your fall altogether with a Levitation or teleportation spell.

Some of the fun items I've come across are mostly fun because of nonsensicalness. The Steel Blade of Heaven, for example. One of the three unique levitation items. The Boots make sense (both the unique Apostle and the non-unique Dwemer), and the amulet is at least a standard wizard item (as are the Wizard Staves), but a 3 lb. steel dagger? I can just imagine someone activating the magic, thinking of the direction they'd like to go, and suddenly having their arm wrenched out of its socket by the 50 points of levitation speed. :lol:

7. Gnarfflinger

Actually, that dagger is a handy tool for getting around, especially in Vivec. You can simply levitate from the top of the foreign quarter to the top of Redoran, Arena or Hlaao...

No luck finding the other two items yet...

8. Felinoid

The Boots of the Apostle are the goal of a high-level Imperial Cult quest (they're guarded by a lot of Daedra, including a guaranteed pair of Winged Twilights right near the boots), but the Amulet is a reward for a miscellaneous quest (for a Telvanni, actually, so you kind of have to have at least a couple of levitation potions already just to get to it :rolleyes: ). Dwemer Boots of Flying can be randomly found in ruins, but combining no guarantee of finding them, the fact that it's a "Wild Levitate" (1-100 pts) enchantment, and that you probably don't want to be tied to a heavy armor piece with a base AR of 20 (ebony is 60) that looks rather ugly IMO*, they're really not worth getting.

Getting a Wizard Staff can be easy or hard, depending, not to mention that it's a 'slow' Levitate (1 pt for 120 seconds). You can buy one or be directed to one "in the wrong hands" at a certain point in the Mages Guild, and there are a few scattered about (one in a Daedric ruin, one in the Urshilaku Burial Grounds, etc.), but they're still fairly rare. Overall, the Boots of the Apostle are the best, but you won't get them for a while, so the Dagger really is the best bet early, provided you can find it. Well, either that or enchant some high enchantment item; I did my Glass Tower Shield on my first run through.

*That's actually another funny bit. The rest of Dwemer armor looks so cool (barring possibly the wingspan of the pauldrons or the back of the helmet if you use the chase camera), why the heck did they have to make clown shoes for the boots? Nobody's feet could possibly be that big in comparison to the rest of their body! And how could anyone even lift their feet in those huge things, much less walk? :shake:

9. Gnarfflinger

If I remember correctly, Daedric is actually better for protection than the Ebony armour. Also, armour's protection depends on the skill with the armour in question. Ebony armour protects at about twice your heavy armour skill...

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    ...but Daedric is so HEAVY. :bad:

11. Felinoid

Yup, daedric is. Base AR of 80 (the different helms are varied) in comparison to ebony's 60 and dwemer's 20.
    That would be why I put "base" in italics. ;) Armor protection is the base AR times your armor skill divided by 30. That makes dwemer do 2/3 of your armor skill, ebony twice your armor skill, and daedric 2.6666... times your armor skill.

12. Gnarfflinger

Magister: I know the feeling. My Greaves are Daedric and the rest of my armour is Ebony. Makes looting take a lot longer--and sometimes a little booze dependant...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.