1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Garren Windspear dialog broken

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kristal, May 14, 2006.

1. Kristal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am playing bg II for the second time, this time with quite a lot of mods, so there is no way to know which is the culprit ;) . The initial dialog with Garren Windspear is broken. This ruins the whole windspear/palladin stronghold quest. He engages me after I kill the knights, but I can only refuse his charity with a "no valid replies or links" message afterwards. I talk to him afterwards and he says "This matter has weighed heavily upon me, I fear. Thank you for your efforts in all things", which is what I think he says after the quest is completed.

I wonder if I should investigate my backup dialog.tlk? I have only looked at it once, but it's full of text... perhaps a manual edit would resore the dialog? Or perhaps there is a variable that I can change in the clua console or in shadowkeeper. I have been using that for items, romances, and other tinkering. Does someone know the variable which is changed when you accept help from windspear?

Thanks a bunch if you can help :)

Also, are the global and local variables stored in text form somewhere? Where are they stored and in what form?

[ May 14, 2006, 18:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Variables are stored within your savegame.

This likely is a mod conflict, and this may not be the only symptom you see of it. Solving this one problem may not be enough in the long run; you have to solve the underlying conflict. So it is important you tell us which mods you have, and in which order. :)

3. Kristal Gems: 1/31

You ask a great deal. Really. ;p I can go from the date modified here though and give it a shot :/. The trouble is, I reinstalled the rotb armor set since the new merchant wasn't working. Small thing, yes, but being a weidu mod, it uninstalled 3/4 of everything else and might have put them back in a strange order. This is going by time as explorer tells it. Redemption comes before ascension, go figure.

baldurdash fixpacks for tob
    the darkest day
    shadows over soubar
    redemption
    rtt item pack
    selune armory
    sp item pack
    the bigg tweaks
    unfinished business
    ascension
    boards of magic item pack
    cloak of the shield fix
    com encounters
    d0 quest pack
    desecration of souls
    exnem item vault
    the magic shop on promenade (tz shop 01)
    improved volcano pack
    weimer ease of use
    weimer item upgrade
    freedoms reign & reign of virtue
    dark ritual
    nalia romance (luvnalia)
    npc flirt pack
    banter pack
    ashes of embers
    rotb armor set

That's almost the order they were originall installed too... I think it went something like this:

baldurdash fixpacks for tob
    the darkest day
    shadows over soubar
    d0 quest pack
    unfinished business
    ascension
    redemption
    com encounters
    boards of magic item pack
    cloak of the shield fix
    desecration of souls
    exnem item vault
    rotb armor set
    rtt item pack
    selune armory
    sp item pack
    the bigg tweaks
    the magic shop on promenade (tz shop 01)
    improved volcano pack
    weimer ease of use
    weimer item upgrade
    dark ritual
    freedoms reign & reign of virtue
    nalia romance (luvnalia)
    npc flirt pack
    banter pack
    ashes of embers
    rotb armor set (reinstall)

Add to that the fact that I didn't install all components. Too many things were changing parts of hell and anything that asked me if I wanted "miscellaneous ai improvements" or something equally nebulous probably wasn't added. Some minor things went into override as well, notably improved jaheira romance and harper plot, new gui skin, universal ion stones, bottomless containers, improved anarg and BG2SirKalthorineUtWistan'sEvilOverrideDialogues, the one which only prevents npcs from leaving, not arguing.

I suppose variables must be stored in memory during gameplay. I don't think I am up to anything so ambitious as trying to debug that. I thought it might be good to observe what changed and switch it back manually, but that would be well out of my depth.

I don't mind tinkering and even enjoy it... I've fixed other bugs in my game already. I don't know how to fix a dialog though or if a specific variable is altered as a result of this dialog. If you could tell me that, I would appreciate it.

thank ye

Perhaps the windspear character has local variables for the dialogs? Is there a way to get the console to show all local variables associated with an npc?

Failing that... if there is a certain conflict... I *suppose* I could reinstall the game and mods. I have done that so many times recently that I am sick of it though.

[ May 15, 2006, 01:12: Message edited by: Kristal ]

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

After talking with Kristal in the chatroom, it turns out this is actually not a mod problem, but an SK - picky dialogue problem. It seems that Kristal had SKed the gender of her character to "both", and Garren's dialogue gets very weird about gender. When you get to the last response, where you're going to either accpet or refuse his help, you'll get the acceptance one first if you're male, and second if you're female. But you won't get it at all if you're not one of those two specific genders. The refusal choice, OTOH, has the split after you choose it, and again you have to be one of the two for it to continue.

So the moral of the story: Don't mess with the gender of the main character.

5. Kristal Gems: 1/31

Yes, thank you kindly, Felinoid :) . You've been most shrewd and helpful. Kudos :D . I had thought that I could change the romance plots this way, but found that it's not necessary at all. You can start romances with any npc, regardless, by changing the appropriate variables. I just never changed it back to one specific gender. ;p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.