1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gems vs. Creatures

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Farthy, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] Why make the switch to gems?? Were the monsters getting too old? I just gotta know why.

I'm talking about avatars that appear with each user.

2. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

So there were more (unisex) avatars available for Custom Avatar people.

Because they don't give people a sense of identity, and subconciously force them to donate to SP. :D

Because they are smaller, and more aesthetically pleasing.

Because it is easy to tell who has a Custom Avatar, and who is a donationless muppet. It was harder to tell when everyone had a creature.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That and...

bandwidth--;

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nah, bandwidth was never a concern, and it's even less of a concern now. The switch was made so that that not all males and females would have to have a male or sexless creature avatar. You now have a very neutral and a totally different ranking system as well.

5. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31

I only signed up two months ago. (well, sept. 30, and then there was a screw up so I resigned on oct. 1) What monsters are you talking about? Do you mean you had MONSTERS as a ranking system? sweet!

6. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It used to be monsters from the BG and IWD series like goblins, fire elementals and skeletons.

And Tal used to be a pink dragon if my memory is correct...

It was pretty sweet

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

A pink dragon? Wasn't Tal a magic user with a circle of protection or something?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    When I joined he was a cute pink dragon, it was later changed to a sorcerer wielding staff +4 and wearing the cloak of deflection (not sure about he names).

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

The good old days. Tal was a pink dragon and BTA was a green dragon. Darian also had a green dragon if I remember correctly. Us mortals didn't have any picture back then, just a title saying 'apprentice' or 'acolyte'.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Ooooh!

Anyone have screenshots or logs of that?!

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Um, 8people, you have over 1000 posts, and alot of the people who mentioned this "Pink Dragon" have much fewer. Unless you make a hundred posts a day, you should probably have seen that. That is unless your old and senile. But if you just want to remember the good old days with a screenshot, ignore me.

12. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

reepnorp, check the day she registered her account, not her post number (also on the bottom of her post). She registered this past April. Tal has been registered since June of 2000. How could she have known what Tal's initial avatar was? (Heck, I've been around since Oct 2000, I don't really remember it...well, I guess I might or else I'm thinking of a pink dragon I saw in real life.)

[ November 20, 2002, 23:11: Message edited by: The Deviant Mage ]

13. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31

Yes, indeed. I mean nothing by this of course, but I know from personal experience that reep has a habit of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I believe I mentioned before the sarcasm problem?

I'm not as bad at noticing details like dates, but hey, what can I say? Insanity runs in the family.

Well, that and posts mean nothing. 8 has 1374 posts, and that's been since april. Proud has 369, and that's been since October 2000. Maybe she has the gift of gab, and Proud only speaks when he's really interested.

I'm probably going to fall victim to a prank for this. That's why whenever I say anything bad about someone who lives in the same house, I say I mean nothing by this.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Judging by the interest in the dragon avatar, I should put it on eBay and offer it for a few thousand bucks... :shake:

It wasn't pink, btw. Except to those with colour blindness, I suppose. It was red, but not the usual blood red.

15. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'll give ya five grand, take it or leave it.

:bigeyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.