1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

George Orwell

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by C'Jakob, Mar 17, 2002.

1. C'Jakob Guest

2. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yes indeed! My favourite Orwell book is "Homage to Catalonia", an account of his efforts in the Spanish Civil War.

3. Ananfel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Animal Farm is a great book! I remember having to read it for a class and initially I was dreading having to read it because I assumed it would be dull and tedious. But, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was a real page turner and an excellent read.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have read both and I must say that both are great pieces of literature. But they are also both very scary, especially the Animal Farm, for imo it is a chilling view into how we humans function.
    I recommend that all people read both Animal Farm and 1984 both are frightengly realistic.

5. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've read both, although it's nearly 20 years since I read 1984. (I made an effort I remember to make sure I read it before 1984 :) )

They are both great books, albeit for different reasons. 1984 for the perception of a future even though it thankfully hasn't yet turned into quite that state of affairs yet. He only chose 84 as it was 48 (year it was written?) backwards.

I believe Animal Farm was more about an observation of communism than anything else, and rather accurate in my opinion, than general human nature.

I should perhaps make the effort to read some further Orwell books. Any good ones other than those mentioned so far?

6. C'Jakob Guest

To put it more precisely, Animal Farm is about more than human nature and communism, it's somewhat of an analogy of the Russian Revolution. When you think about it, Napoleon is Stalin, Snowball is Trotsky, and the hounds are the secret police.

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited March 27, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  7. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I read both. Excellent books.

8. Silverblade Guest

I've read Animal Farm and in my opinion it is a good book. I will probably read 1984 too, all the people who've read it say it's great.

9. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Actually I love them both because of the timeless view both give on the dangers lurking in our society.
    A teacher argued once that both are more or less out of date, but I think that they are nowadays more accurate than ever!
    It might be in a more allegorical way, but I think that we are indeed coming close to a society like the one described in 1984.

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I've read 1984 by now and it is indeed a great book. Except for the part when Winston reads in the book that was given to him, the whole society lesson was boring.

Animal Farm is better in my opinion than 1984.

[ September 19, 2002, 21:43: Message edited by: Silverblade ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.