1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gimpus Maximus

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 7, 2012.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That should be what I named my current character. As is well known, because of the leveling system employed in Skyrim, it is possible to "gimp" your character by leveling skills that serve no combat benefit early on. You gain experience, so you gain levels, and thereby increase the difficulty of enemies you encounter, despite not having the necessary items and skills for combat to kill those harder enemies.

NOTE: If you don't powergame, there will be little practical utility in reading the lengthy post that follows.

I took that concept to an extreme with my current character. I trained the maximum of five times for every single level I earned. I didn't care how I did it. At first I just took Faendal as a follower and took back the money I spent training. Upon arrival at Whiterun, I used Armen and the companions to accomplish the same. Up to level 50, training costs absolutely nothing, because you can pickpocket back the money you spend on training from the trainer with a high degree of success. (Requires abuse of quick save/quick load until you get good at it, but it's best to start training with skills that you only have the base level of 15 at first, because they cost the least, and thus have the highest chance of success to steal back.)

But here's the mechanic that allows this to be so powerful: Since you're stealing the money back, you also are leveling pickpocket. You don't necessarily have to spend your perks in pickpocket, but you're getting the experience either way. Almost every time you successfully pickpocket, you'll gain a level in pickpocketing, up until that skill gets to around 60 or so, after that you'll need to pickpocket twice to see the advancement. As it so happens, the combined experience increase you get from the pickpocket skill and whatever skill you happened to be training can often times exceed the amount of experience you need to reach the next level - even though the only thing you did was train and pickpocket. This then allows you to train an additional five times, and raise the pickpocket skill even further. I was level 10 when I arrived in Whiterun, but I was level 22 when I left, without actually killing anything. All of it was from training, stealing, and a little bit of enchanting/alchemy/smithing experience mixed in.

Now this character was my first attempt at using a mage. And it certainly accomplished the gimp part of the character. I had an extremely limited amount of spells, not much experience in the mage skills, and no perks in any of the combat skills that I had trained. (In fact, at one point I had 9 unspent perks lying around, because I wanted to spend all of them in mage skills, but I was of insufficient level to spend them yet.) So he was gimped.

The other issue is that without perks spent, and only a decent skill level of no more than 50 in anything, it's hard to use those skills you did level to much affect. And that's because the "stealing back the money you spent on training" only works for cheap training skills - and that gravy train comes to an end for training skills beyond level 50. Wearing the boots from the thieves' guild set along with a decent pickpocket skill will grant a 90% chance of success of getting your money back up to level 50. As soon as you hit level 51 though, the cost to train triples, and your 90% chance drops to around 10%.

I have found that a pickpocket skill of 100 in conjunction with wearing the boots from the thieves guild set allows for a 90% chance of success for pickpocket anything worth about 900 gold or less. Beyond that, the chance of success drops off a cliff. Looking at my chance to pickpocket a gold diamond necklace worth 1200 gold, the chance was only 30%. Since even at level 51, the cost of training is 1550 gold, you have no chance of success at all - chance to pickpocket displays as 0%. If you're willing to spend some of your precious perks in pickpocket, as my last character did, you can extend your free training up to about level 75. This is assuming you have 100 in pickpocket skill, are wearing the thieves' guild boots, and have 5 perks spent in light fingers, along with night thief and cutpurse (so all of the relevant perks that will help you in stealing gold). This grants a 90% (or close to it) chance of success for anything worth about 3000 gold or less. The problem with this method is that once you go beyond 75, you'll be looking at more than 3000 gold. (To train to level 90, the cost is 4550 gold.) That's because the wiki page is actually wrong regarding the cost for skill training. It states:

Up to level 50: 10 * [skill level] + 50 That's true.

Level 51 or more: 30 * [skill level] + 50 That's not entirely true. It's true for level 51-75. The cost to train a skill from level 74 to 75 is 2300 gold, which follows that formula.

However, to train to level 76, it costs 3850 gold. That follows the formula:
    50 * skill level + 50. So the cost increase is actually greater than that going from level 50 to 51. (In absolute gold, not in terms of a percentage.)

What this means is that you need 8000 - 10000 gold to train 5 times in a skill between levels 51 - 75, depending on where you are in that 51-75 range, and between 19000 - 22000 gold to train levels 76 - 90. That is to say, MONEY NEVER BECOMES IRRELEVANT. You need hundreds of thousands of gold pieces to get your training fix on. This is most efficiently accomplished by taking missions from Vex and Delvin in the thieves guild. It is true that finishing the Dark Brotherhood questline and getting missions from the Night Mother for additional contracts generally offers more than the 1000 gold that you'd get from performing a mission from both Vex and Delvin, it is more time consuming, especially because you usually earn more money by stealing valuables in the home, as well as pickpocketing the owners of the home and business (best done at night, where the homeowners are sleeping). You can typically earn about 2000 gold between the reward and selling off the fenced items for each pair of missions you complete.

But once you actually start going with this character, the sky is the limit in terms of power. I'm level 44 right now, and he's not even close to being "done". Almost all of my skills are at least level 50, but other than pickpocketing, nothing is over level 80. I'm going to blow past the level 50 soft cap without even slowing down. I'm deliberately NOT working much on my crafting skills, because that causes me to level TOO quickly. I need time to procure 10000 gold each level - I can't be getting experience for crafting on top of that. I'm already to the point that I often delay leveling up because I haven't yet trained 5 times. (There have been occasions where I delayed leveling to the point that upon training 5 times, I was already 3/4 of the way to the NEXT level.)

So here's where we stand right now:

All of my warrior skills are level 50-75 except blocking, which is like 20.

All of my thief skills are at level 50-75 except pickpocket, which is the only skill I've maxed at this point. (Note: The thief skills were accomplished without training. All of my training went to warrior and mage skills. I got the thief levels the old fashioned way - I actually earned them.)

All of my mage skills are level 50-80 except Alteration, which is about 40, and Restoration, which is around 30. Alteration will still advance slowly because of transmuting, but I rarely have to heal myself anymore, so I don't see how restoration is going to go up much from here.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe, when do you actually play the game? I also wonder if you played Oblivion or Morrowind cause they had even more complicated and open for power gaming levelling system.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well you've GOT to play the game to get the cash. Yes, I do a lot of Vex and Delvin missions, but it's not like you can do those exclusively for money. (Well, I guess technically you CAN but you'd have to do about 10 of each to get the money.) Basically, the strategy is to do a Vex and Delvin mission along with a quest or dungeon of some type. (Like taking out a wanted bandit or a giant with a gold reward attached.) It's all about the Benjamins with this character, and I don't work for free. Now that I have a decent amount of levels in my magic skills, I can actually, you know, do bounty quests. Dragons were a major pain in the ass in the early going because they could one-shot me even when I was level 35 or so. Last night I completed the last of the Delvin special missions, which are basically all bandit camps too (albeit larger than a standard bandit camp, with more treasure).

The character concept is battle mage. I want him to be able to fling spells, and yet be able to whip out a battle hammer when it gets to melee combat. I think he's going to be exceedingly good at it. It's just recently in his career that he's using magic more than melee weapons. Of course, that was a conscious decision on my part. I knew that by pouring all my early training into the warrior tree that I was necessarily gimping the magic side. The early miscalculation was in how much more damage dragons do on the highest difficulty, combined with a lower than normal health allocation. While I am power gaming, I have spent more level ups on magicka than health or stamina. Not a ton more, but I have about 100 more magicka than health or stamina. I'll eventually get free spells, but I'd never be able to use much magic at all if I didn't invest in it. And I still plan on needing magicka for my summons.

So I went with the warrior training early, switched to mage training, and when that's done I'll go back to warrior training. The switch back to warrior will probably happen around level 50. My destruction skill is currently level 77, and both illusion and conjuration are about 70. So there simply isn't a lot of training left to do with those skills. In fact, I haven't trained illusion since I could do it for free. It seems to be progressing fairly well on it's own. My character is quite stealthy as well, and I see no reason NOT to have muffle active whenever I'm in a dungeon. And I always cast frenzy whenever I'm up against more than one enemy, so my illusion levels pretty quickly. Conjuration doesn't level quickly, but I'm OK with that, as it's easily my least-used combat school. What I don't get is why destruction levels so slowly - I use that a lot.

EDIT: The other point of trying this type of character was because I wanted to up the challenge of the game. Granted, when I hit level 60 and am uber in all ways, it will actually make the game easier. But the point was that in the beginning, it was a lot harder - harder than any of my previous characters in fact. Granted, now I'm wondering if this character wouldn't even be more powerful if I concentrated on warrior perks and only dabbled in magic instead of the other way around. Like only work on two schools of magic that I would eventually be able to cast for free. I could attempt to get by with a bare bones minimum number of perks, and have more left over for the warrior side of things. Of the 43 perks I've earned thus far, at least 30 were spent in mage skills.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

So wait a minute.. you did all that to willfully GIMP yourself to increase difficulty early on? While at the same time paving way for total pwnage soon thereafter? Isn't that kind of backwards? :D

Also.. how did you train so much when you can only train a total of 400 skill levels between character levels 1 and 81? Or did you train some of your warrior skills yourself as well?

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I guess it is if you look at it that way, but with my previous characters it was total pwnage by the time I was level 40 or 45 anyway. So the end wasn't going to be hard anyway. Now I can dole out a variety of ass-kicking as I see fit. Throw a frenzy into the middle of a bandit camp for some pandemonium, cast a couple of atronachs next to the bandit leader, disintegrate one with chain lightning (is there a death animation for that? The death animations I've seen with spells are pretty much all second rate - I want to see skin melting off damn it!), and crush the last one's skull in with a battle hammer.

Yes, I did. While I made sure I trained 5 times every damn level - and believe me once you get everything to 50 it's hard to raise adequate funds before you hit the next level - initially I pumped all my warrior training at the expense of my mage skills. (Mostly because I didn't want to "waste" those training opportunities before heading to Winterhold.) So while I wasn't spending any perks on warrior skills, there was hardly anything I could invest perks into mage wise, so out of necessity I was using bows, battle hammers, and steel armor in the early going, but not wasting my perk points on them. So yeah, I probably trained 60-70 levels worth of warrior advancement in the beginning of the game, but since I was also using the warrior skills I also did some of the leveling through use.

I mean, when I was level 25, I had Fury, but not Frenzy (because it wasn't offered for sale yet, because my illusion skill wasn't high enough), the problem being that Fury tends not to work against a leveled opponent. And while Flame Atronachs help, they aren't going to dispose of most enemies by themselves. They're more like an extra damage source - I had to get in there and mix it up. I did use destruction spells when I could - usually against a single foe where if it took a little longer to kill him it wouldn't matter. But against multiple foes it was flame atronach and hammer time. And I still use my battle hammer now. I've mostly disposed of the bow - I still carry one, but I don't really use it anymore. I can do much more damage with spells from a distance.

But there is something very gratifying when you've killed everyone except the bandit leader, he finally gets up next to you after blasting through your flame atronach, and says something to the effect of "I have you now", thinking you're some wimpy ass mage who is screwed once you get close. Then you take out your battle hammer and effectively say, "Bring it, be-atch!" and proceed to crush his skull in. (Incidentally, two power hammer hits pretty much end the fight. Especially if you start by doing a running power attack - if that connects it's pretty much game over.

My only regret is that this character is finally getting really fun, and I won't be able to play much this week - I'm heading out of state later this week for a wedding in the family.

EDIT: By the end of the game, this character will be close to maxed out. I'm going to go back to the warrior skills once I'm done with training the mage skills, which will be accomplished in the next few levels. Thief skills are coming along nicely enough without help. I'm thinking that by the end game the only skills that will NOT be level 50+ (with the vast majority being 75+) will be blocking, light armor, and restoration. Probably good enough for about level 70ish.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Sir Rechet likes this.
  6. Sir Rechet

Oh, that makes sense then. So you're effectively playing the almighty F/M/T from D&D lore. With the extra spice brought by the dynamic leveling thinking you're a high level bad-ass when you're, in fact, just a third of this, a third of that and a third of the other.

That's pretty darn creative way of gaming the system to get the harder difficulty setting as it was supposed to be: rather than (only?) doing the lame straight damage bonus/penalty routine, you get to meet tougher opponents as as a wet-eared newbie, based on the actual skill levels you need to use to bring the opposition down. :)

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Greetings from the great white north - although it isn't all that great and it definitely isn't white.

Anyway, that was the plan exactly. The first 40 or so levels are really tough this way. You are a level 40 character, but you only have the mage skills of a mage that is about half your actual level. Like I said, since I'm training every level, I'm getting gobs of experience from stuff that I don't necessarily NEED, just stuff that is nice to have.

I'm also going to have spare perks left over, although I'm not there yet. If this character does make it to level 70ish like I hope, that's going to equate to about 10 or so spare perks, which probably will go into warrior skills - two handed most likely. But I'm getting all that I want from the mage tree first.

I'm still on the fence with Alteration. I do like the magic protection, which can get to 30% if you get Alteration to 90. Now, I probably won't get it to 90, but I can get 20% with two perks at level 60, which I feel is attainable. However, there are two prerequisite (novice and apprentice alteration) perks, and I have to decide if I want to spend 4 perks for 20% magic resistance.

EDIT: Technically I did NOT train every level. I think I was already level 3 or 4 when I got to Riverwood. Which was actually an oversight on my part. I didn't HAVE to do that mine in the beginning before picking up Faendal, and I could have avoided leveling before going to Riverwood at all.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  8. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not worth it if you're Breton imo, or if you use the Atronach stone.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'm not sure how magic resistance or spell absorption would obviate the need for leveling, or the advantages gained by training. Or does that completely miss your point?

I'm actually rethinking this character. Gimpus may in fact serve more as a proof of concept character as opposed to actually being the ultimate fighter-mage. I'm not disappointed that I made him, because it showed that doing this actually works. It's just that after some more careful consideration, the end design is sub-optimal if you're really trying to make a battlemage or a F/M/T at the end of it. This character is primarily a mage, with a little bit of warrior and thief sprinkled in.

If you're going to be a true battlemage, you need to spend perks in at least two classes, and probably all three. (Not counting the three crafting skills.)

So what I'm thinking is that I'll make a Breton, and go for a more even distribution of perks. Since the last character spent a lot of time leveling warrior skills first, I may as well take some perks in the warrior skills to. The only perks on the warrior tree that were taken with Gimpus v1.0 were the smithing ones. The result was a character who could get by with a weapon in a pinch, but with no perks he was never going to be able to hold his own in any extended battle with anything more than a wolf.

That's going to change. The cost of this is going to have to come from mage perks, and I'll do it by limiting my perk distribution to two schools of magic instead of three. I'll still use all three, but I'm only going to have the perks to fully develop two. And those two will be destruction and conjuration. Illusion will still be decently high just because I always use muffle when creeping around in dungeons. Alteration will gradually level through use of transmute, and of course I'll get a little bit of restoration from healing (although Gimpus only had restoration at 30ish).

The final change with this character is that the mage skills are going to have to develop almost exclusively through training. To limit the perks spent in my mage skills to what I really need, this character won't be able to shine until my enchanting reaches 100 anyway, so he'll actually be a warrior until level 40 or so. In theory, I would require up to 28 levels of training to fully train conjuration and destruction to level 90. (Although honestly, I probably won't need quite that much, as I will use them to a limited extent.)

So here's the plan for Gimpus v2.0. He's a true battle mage, sword and shield style. (After trying one handed with shield, two handed, and dual wielding, I have found that the benefits of having a shield to be the best fit for my play style. Since a shield can be used offensively with proper perk placement, you're not really going all defense by carrying a shield. Like the last character, since some many of the perks are late game perks, this character will continue to improve throughout his life.

Warrior perks:

Archery:
    Overdraw 1-5
    Eagle Eye

One-Handed:
    Armsman 1-5
    Fighting Stance

Blocking:
    Shield Wall
    Quick Reflexes
    Deflect Arrows
    Power Bash
    Elemental Protection
    Deadly Bash
    Black Runner

Smithing:
    Steel
    Dwarven
    Orcish
    Arcane
    Ebony
    Daedric
    (I don't need no stinkin' Dragon Smithing.)

Total Warrior Perks: 25

Thief Perks:

Sneak:
    Stealth
    Muffled Movement
    Backstab
    Deadly Aim
    Assassin's Blade

Speech (can't help it, I love it):
    Haggling
    Allure
    Merchant

Pickpocket:
    Light Fingers
    Night Thief
    Cutpurse

Total Thief Perks: 11

Mage Perks:

Conjuration:
    Novice Conjuration
    Dual Casting
    Summoner 1 and 2
    Atromancy
    Elemental Potency
    Twin Souls

Destruction:
    Novice Destruction
    Dual Casting
    Augmented Frost 1 and 2
    Augmented Shock 1 and 2
    Impact
    Deep Freeze
    Disintegrate

Enchanting:
    Enchanter 1-5
    Insightful Enchanter
    Corpus Enchanter
    Extra Effect

Total Mage Perks: 24

Total Perks - an even 60. Easily doable. Well maybe not easily, but definitely doable. The last few warrior perks in each tree are more fluff than anything, and Gimpus v 1.0 had no problem blowing past level 50. But Gimpus v2.0 will have nearly an even split between warrior and mage perks (25 versus 24), with 11 thrown into thief. Now THAT is a true battlemage!

10. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only meant it as far as sinking points into Alteration for magic resistance is concerned.

You don't need to raise Summoner to level 2, it's only nice if you're a conjurer character and you need to use your minions tactically. As an F/M/T you can simply sneak in, switch to a bow and snipe the things.

11. Sir Rechet

While your character build certainly meets the criteria for a battlemage, game mechanics kinda spoil the fun. :( You have to select between a bow and spells for long range combat, and neither can be used seamlessly with melee weapons. At the very least there's a short delay while switching between them.

Or is it just me that fails on setting up my quick keys / binds so that it works? Or perhaps you use the voice commands to come over these hurdles? :)

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Voice commands do not over-ride the slight delay between switching weapons. Although that is kind of realistic. While another weapon should be able to be equipped quickly, it shouldn't be instantaneous. In most games it is - in equipping a new item it instantly appears in your hand. To tell the truth, I probably will NOT be using bows long term. But I do need some type of distance attack for dragons, especially considering my spells will take forever in the early going to knock them out of the sky.

I played for a couple of hours yesterday, got to Whiterun, and already have a level 22 character. (As I said previously, the levels go ridiculously quickly in the early going, as the amount of experience you gain for training the skills plus the pickpocketing experience generally are enough to get you to the next level. Sure, you need more experience with each level up, but that's not a big deal as you also are receiving more experience with each level up in pickpocket.)

Unlike my first character who just about peaked at this point in terms of unspent perks, this character doesn't have any unspent perks. Also unlike my first character, other than novice destruction/conjuration and dual casting, all of them are in warrior skills. I have not yet fought the dragon, which will definitely be able to one-shot me again, but this time I'm hoping with a bit more developed bow skill that it won't be the multiple-attempt ordeal I had the first time.

I also made a few corrections from the first character. For example, I went straight the Riverwood out of Helgen, and trained with Faendal 5 times before hitting level up. (I was just shy of hitting level 3 with the 5 trainings.) I also proceeded immediately to Whiterun instead of doing the Golden Claw quest (which I'm now doing) so I could start training something other than my bow.

The only mistake I've made is that I forgot to buy a muffle book at Winterhold on my first visit. That should also save me a skill point, as I believe the spell muffle is a better version of the muffled movement perk in the sneak tree. Or do they stack cumulatively?

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pretty sure they are the same thing. Same with the boots you get from the assassins.

14. Sir Rechet

They do stack, however it's kinda pointless that they do. Muffled movement perk gives 50% reduction in noise caused by armor (upgraded to 100% by Silence perk), while the spell gives straight 100% for a total of 150%. However, anything past 100% is wasted points. Since you aim to have Muffle (the spell) on all the time, you're effectively wasting perk points to get more Muffle. So it kinda boils down whether you like Silent Roll and Shadow Warrior or not and whether they're worth the prereq points to get them.

As far as I can tell, only Pickpocket and Stealth have long-term benefits in boosting them with corresponding enchants, apart from the more obvious ones such as One-handed boosting your one-handed damage (but not daggers) and such.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's what I basically thought - that the spell is a better version than the perk. And I only really need the stuff on the right hand side of the Sneak perks. I wasn't planning on going past Muffled Movement regardless, so now I get to skip that one too.

I believe Lockpicking would also qualify. Although of those, the only quantifiable benefit would be to lockpicking, as you can see the benefit from improved chance of pickpocketing on the more valuable stuff.

I keep thinking of new builds, although there are some perks that I just don't see the sense in. Aside from the armor perks - and at least some of those that don't just give a straight armor increase have tangible - if not really necessary - benefits, I can't see why anyone would spend perks to fill the speech category. Sure, Master Trader sounds great - effectively doubling or more the gold that every merchant has - but you'd need to fill in just about the entire tree to get there. And the ability to sell fenced items and have run of the mill merchants with more gold isn't nearly as big of a deal if you actually do the thieves guild, and get the fences with 4000 gold each.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Gimpus v2.0 is coming along nicely, now level 30. The progress is much easier when you can reasonably expect to win a fight through use of melee combat. He's not so good that he can just tank everything, and it is definitely advisable to limit the number of enemies you fight at once, but by picking some early warrior perks, and also incorporating stealth into this build has made the going considerably easier.

I'm advancing my mage skills almost solely through training (except for illusion, because I do cast muffle). In fact, for now I'm sticking with the warrior stone, as I'm not casting spells often enough for it to outweigh the benefits of having the warrior stone active instead. I've minimized my trips for training magic by holding off until I'm nearly at the next level. Then I train 5 times, level up, and train another 5 times, meaning I can go nearly two full levels between trips.

The other positive change with this method is it delays the point where I have to spend gobs and gobs of money for training. I'm only now at the point where destruction and conjuration are at level 50 and I'll have to start paying for the training without getting my gold back. I did notice that the conjuration trainer at Winterhold is an expert, not a master. After I checked the other trainers, and it turns out that there is an even split between expert and master trainers. (I had assumed they were all master trainers.) Illusion, Destruction, and Alteration have expert trainers, while Conjuration, Enchanting, and Restoration have expert trainers. I believe one of the court wizards (maybe in Markarth?) is a master trainer, so I'll have to finish up Conjuration there.

So I have about 80 or so more points left to train, and I already trained the 5 times at level 30, so I need 16 more levels before switching back to the warrior skills through the companions. Actually, that reminds me - I haven't even started the Companions quest line, because of the screwed up first mission they gave me. Granted, I've only done the quest line a couple of times, but the first quest "Trouble in Skyrim" where you have to prove yourself to become a member had always been a bandit camp right outside Whiterun. This time they want me to clear out a group of mages, which I'm OK with, but the camp is located way the hell out in the southwest. The closest city is Markarth, but it's no where close. I have no unrevealed locations in that part of the world, and I'm disinclined to trek all the way out there just for that.

I'm slowly expanding my list of perks I want to pick up. I decided that I DO want all three elements in destruction, so that's another 3 points. And I'm seriously considering picking up the "Extra Pockets" perk in pickpocket for the extra 100 carrying capacity. It's not entirely essential that I get it, but it would be convenient, and I already have all the prerequisites, so it's just one more point. Of course the "just one more perk" thinking can be dangerous. I'm now up to 65 perks for the "done" character. So getting to (or at least close to) level 70 isn't really optional if this character is going to be completed.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  17. Sir Rechet

I guess as long as you don't mind the early difficulty hump, this would be the preferable way of boosting a wide range of skills at once. Going dual-class style where you suddenly switch over from your newly acquired 100-skills to your new set, quite possibly as low as in their 20's, seems much more of a stretch of immersion.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I have a question on the destruction perks. Do the three perks final perks for each element - the ones after "Augment [element]" - so Intense Flames, Deep Freeze, and Disintegrate actually, um... do anything in the form of extra damage? If I spend a perk point here am I just spending a perk for a different death animation? What does low health actually mean? If low health is like less than 10%, then I can quite easily cast one more spell to finish them off rather that having them paralyzed or disintegrated. (There's no way I want Intense Flames - the idea of a nearly dead opponent running away from me does not seem like an effect I'd want.

Another odd thing about this character who is now at level 41, is that I've hardly seen any dragons. The last character had dragons everywhere. This character has killed like 3. Seriously. At level 41. And every single one of those has been a town attack, so I've get to go toe-to-toe with a dragon with this character. Given how my previous character fared against dragons for the first 40 or so levels, that may qualify as a good thing.

And levels are still coming really easy. Although now I think I've finally reached a point where generating income isn't much of a problem, because I spent my playing time this weekend doing all of the extra merchant quests for the thieves guild as well as picking up several fences from the thieves main quest line. Alchemy is certainly the biggest money maker of the three crafting skills, with the problem being that it's nearly impossible to unload your potions unless all you want to do is travel from shop to shop.

In fact, if you don't join the thieves guild and unlock the bonus merchants to get more gold into the fences coffers, I don't know what you'd do. Without those, the only places to sell potions are the potion dealers (which typically only have 500 gold) and general merchants (which typically have 750 gold). So you can only off load about 1250 gold per town, and that's the hard way to get rid of your potions. Although you could get the "Merchant" speech perk, which would allow you to unload potions at any merchant. Still the long way, although you could unload quite a few in any town with a lot of merchants, like Riften or Solitude.

Anyway, here's my circuit that I've been doing. It's get thief missions, visit blacksmiths and alchemists while doing them, go back to the Riften alchemists, return to theives guild, brew more potions.

Example: I'll talk to Vex and Delvin, and they'll give me missions. Let's say they send me to Markarth and Solitude on my missions. I'll head over to Markarth, complete the thieves guild mission, but also visit the Hag's Cure and Ghorza, the blacksmith (I have no idea if her shop has a name). I'll buy all the alchemical ingredients and all the iron and silver ore. I'll also visit Endon as I'm likely carrying a ton of potions.

Next stop is Solitude. Complete thieves guild mission. Stop by Angeline's Armotatics for alchemical supplies, Beirand for ore, and stop by Gulum-Ei for potion sales.

Return to Riften. Stop by Elgrim's Elixers and Balimund for alchemical ingredients and ore. Head to the Flagon, visit the alchemy merchant (don't remember his name), and then craft a whole mess of potions from all the ingredients I bought along the way. Visit the other three merchants that usually have ore for sale, selling potions to all of them before heading over to Tonilla, although the Riften merchants typically don't have enough gold by themselves to buy all my potions.

Lather, rinse, and repeat. I only smith when I get a thieves guild mission to Whiterun or Windhelm, as those are the only places that have smelters. Enchanting is done as soul gems allow. (I only buy the petty and lesser ones.) A little tedious, but I haven't maxed out any of my crafting skills, and I need to do that with this build eventually.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  19. Sir Rechet

Last time I checked the destruction "finisher" perks are mostly for show, albeit paralyze could be an interesting effect but it triggers too late, at 20% health, to be of (pretty much any) use. Disintegrate is an insta-kill effect but it triggers even lower, at 15% hp.

Doing the buy-craft-sell routine like you describe is soon going to eat a vast majority of you playing time, and it becomes a chore after a while. I did that.. bad idea for game immersion.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It's already getting freaking old. That's the one drawback to this character build. I've reached the point where I need to gather up around 20,000 gold per level to train. There's no way to do that by general questing, as it causes you to level too fast. So what I'm doing is making this circuit twice every time I level up to pay for the training, and then doing another mission for either the thieves or assassin's guild.

It has also caused me to stop the Thieves' Guild missions for a time and starting progressing the Dark Brotherhood missions, because the next mission for the Thieves' Guild is to track down Mercer through those Falmer ruins, and that's a big ass dungeon. I'm DEFINITELY going to level if I go through that.

The other thing is that this character is now ready to reach his full potential. I just need my crafting skills to be higher to make the proper enchanted equipment to do it, and there's no way to level your crafting skills other than by resource procurement. The fact that leveling crafting skills also provides a solid ROI makes it the most sensible option at this point. I need at least enchanting and smithing at 100, and even though I make most of my money through alchemy, it seems like I get much more experience from smithing and enchanting. Even though I'm an alchemy fiend at this point, my alchemy skill is still lagging behind both my smithing and enchanting skill. (Although that's fine - alchemy isn't the limiting factor in my eventual equipment selection.)

The other thought that occurred to me with this character is that I'll probably never go up the light armor side of the tree again. If I'm playing a stealth character, the armor sets you receive from questing are better than most of what you'll craft, until you can start making your own equipment, and by that time, you'll likely have received dragon smithing. But by going along the right side - with just one more perk spent - will give you access to the superior weapons the ride side offers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.