1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Glitch?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Whoz-UR-Daddy, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Whoz-UR-Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Don't know if it is a glitch or not, but what does it take to kill a clay golem. Don''t get me wrong, but I have killed several throughout the game, it is just that I noticed my main character (I am in chapter 4) keeps getting the my weapon is immune to the clay golem and he is using Carsomyr +5. Is it because it is a sword? I would think at +5 I would be able to damage him.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] That's right; Clay Golems require magical blunt weapons...

3. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Give Minsc two maces, jaheira a club, your own character crom fayer and keldorn (If you use him for Carsomyr) that hammer that does +1 damge, +4 against giantkin.
    They'll be dead in no time!

4. Mayfair Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If you're a high level monk, it's more than sufficient to point your finger at them. They'll almost crumble away out of fear not to have you touch 'em... He he.

[This message has been edited by Mayfair (edited March 19, 2001).]

5. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Definitive Golem Killing Guide (sorta)

I'd read that spells just don't work on golems, but I tried 'em all. Well, level 1-6 any ways. I'd also read that lightning or that polymorphing into a jelly would work, but not for me. A few spells DID work, but only one stood out. Melf's Meteors put a serious long range hurtin' on 'em, without reducing their magic resistance. (ok, so I didn't try the jelly thing. I normally don't use my mages as front-liners.)
    I tried fire, ice, piercing, +1, +2 arrows, etc.
    A bunch of bolts, lightning, biting, +2, etc.

So here goes. Stats are for pumped up mages and fighters, either magically (draw on holy might, etc.) or uhh.. magically (gauntlets, etc). Strength anywhere from 21 to 18.

• Iron Golem
      Melf's Meteors 4-12 points per hit, 3-4 hits per round, 44-70 points per spell. Fast and deadly.
      normally +3, with +3 fire damage. Got no fire damage, but up to 5 shots per round. you get one meteor per level. (Aerie finally paid her own way)
      After using 3 Lower Resistence spells (-21% per spell), Magic Missile worked, as did Enfeeble. Magic Missile 4-20 points per spell
      None others. None.

+3 weapons minimum, long swords (blade of roses), hammer (giant killer), flail (of ages), spears.
      Guess spears kind pick away at 'em.
      +2 sling using +1 Sunstone 10-12 pts/hit,(best bullet in the game, 1d4+2, +2fire, +1thaco)
      no arrows, no bolts
      He throws a ton of poison clouds, so have a bunch of clear air spells and protection from poisons on hand.

• Stone Golem
      Melf's did 3-6 points per hit, ~45 points per spell, m.missile 4-14 pts/spell
      +2 blunt weapons (mace, flail, hammer, club, morning star), spears.
      +2 sling using +3 bullets 14-16pts/hit, +1 Sunstone 15+2-17+2 pts/hit,(best bullet in the game, 1d4+2, +2fire, +1thaco)
      no arrows, no bolts

• Clay Golem
      Melf's only did 2pts per hit, ~20 per spell, but after the others, he's just a breeze.
      +2 blunt weapons only, my monk (lvl.12) got a 46 point fist hit.
      no arrows, no bolts, sunstone on a +2 sling did 1 pt

I'm sure Sling of Everhard would work too.
    I've heard that Azuredge and the Short Bow of Gesen do 1-3 pts per hit, but I didn't have 'em at this point.
    A high level mage using Protect from Magical Weapons could do it too, just with a lot of spells (they don't last long), and some patience.

As for the Adamantium, your on your own, but this ought to give you some direction.

As for strategy, limit the number of baddies that can get at you at any one time. Cycle fighters in and
    out, healing them, and sending 'em back to the front. Other than that, your normal defensive spells.
    Haste, Chant, Armors, Clean Air, Protect from poisons, etc.

Ring(s) of the Ram will work always (15-30 points on average).
    Ring of Earth Elemental Control works sometimes too. Rarely, but sometimes. If it does, grab the biggest lump of whatever and pound away on the others.

[This message has been edited by toast (edited December 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by toast (edited December 22, 2000).]

this post keeps going, and going, and...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  6. Seric Exz Guest

I should really know this by now, but I'll ask anyway;
    If a sling is, say, +215 to thac0 _and_ damage (Utter Annihilator of Pesky Critters), would it still be the missile itself that determines whether a golem can be hit?
    (If a golem needs a +2 blunt weapon to be hit, you'll need a +2 bullet, even with your +215 sling?)

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes. There are some magical slings that produce their own magical missiles though...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.