1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Golems in the Keep

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mo, May 21, 2001.

1. Mo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I can't find any way to defeat the Golems (as part of Nalia's quest) found in the room in the Keep which holds the third part of the magic flail. I have managed to do everything else and I can get the third part of the flail without the Golems being activated, so maybe I don't need to fight them. Has anyone else managed to defeat them?

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

When you play this quest early in the game, they are indeed too hard to fight. You need a +3 weapon or better to defeat them. You can now forge the Flail of the Ages (with the 3 heads forged on the flail you have an +3 item with wich you can kick the golems (you need lot's of protections otherwise the golems crush you)

Another option is too haste your main character, empty the stashes and run away... quite easy ain't it?

3. Mo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have used haste to snacth most of the things. The Golem seem only to be triggered when you snatch a particular item, then the come after you, at first I thought they were too big to get through the door but they can. Can they follow you to a different area of the game or just different rooms?

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The smaller ones will follow you if they can. If you get lucky the 'fat' iron golem will get stuck in the doorway and lock them all off.

Anyway, if you need more hints about dealing with golems in general or these in particular, have a look at these posts. As a less of a spoiler just think about whether you really need to fight them at all?
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001856.html
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001240.html

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited May 21, 2001).]

5. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The golems?

They are easy if you know how to defeat them.
    Every golem must be hit with magical weapons in order to take damage, the big iron golem requires a +3 or better to hit.
    Early in the game you can get the Lilarcor and the flail of the ages. I personaly prefer the Lilarcor because it can reach far, and if you stuck the iron one into the doorway you can smash him from a safe distance, he can't reach you.. :D

It is advisable to fight the golems one by one.

They can be triggered when you shoot them with arrows or something like that.

Lure them out and finish them one by one.

It is that easy!

6. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

i dunno bout u guys.. but i used a +2 warhammer i bought from the Adventurer's mart to kill the smaller ones...

7. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Do not get the items Force attack the golems to kill them one by one. Then tale the items :)
    You can use a +2 weapon to kill all the small ones and you can use the Flail of Ages to kill the big one (he isn't guarding the final head, he is guarding a bow I think)

hope I helped.

8. DEUS Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Cast lvl.1 Priestspell Sanctuary on your cleric and just walk in and pick all the items without "waking" the golems.....

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Does that Work????? wont they wake up :eek:

I Just cast a haste and then run out like a speedy gónzalez. Out side I have a lot of hasted monsters ( I can recommend a hasted lesser air elemental. Just go to Athkatka and buy a scroll or two) just waiting to chub the "smaller golems" I would also take my best warrior into the mist of battle armed with some healing potions. remember its pretty cost effective (hence the value of the loot is well more worth than the expences)

I would just let the Iron golem stand and rot inside that basement if I a were a lowlevel character.

10. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Get +3 weapons (Celestial Fury, Lilarcor, flail of the ages, Strongarm, etc.). Cast Haste, let your mage(s) cast Melf's minute meteor (+5 weapon I believe, they can hit all golems!) and DON'T open the tombs-thingy's.
    Just go for one of the golems and start bashing it. If you do, you are able to hit it first and if you attack will everyone, he'll be quite damaged before he can do something. Be aware that the other one of his kind (the other clay golem if u hit a clay one, the other stone one if you hit a stone one) is coming for u 2!

Also b aware, that the clay golems need to be killed with MAGICAL BLUNT WEAPONS!
    So get yourself the flail of ages, maces +1 or +2, Clubs +1 or +2 etc.

You'll do fine if you follow these directions, keep in mind that the big one can't get trough the door, so you can get your party out of the room if it gets to hot and start shooting strong arm ans melf's minute meteor's etc.

11. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

i killed the little ones 1st, then ran off with the stuff, big bootied golem can't get out...but how do u kill it? nothing hurts him!

12. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Strangely enough your answer lies in this very post so I don't even need to post a link. If you tried doing what has been suggested above and still can't hit him, the only think I can think of is that your characters must have realy poor THACOs and keep missing. Send them to a weapons training school :)

13. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Have some healing potions at hand though, as those nasty golems can give you a hit which deals out 30 damage at once, just like that!

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Also some antipoison potions or spells! ;)

15. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Can't see, if this has been cleared yet, but: Use blunt weapons against golems, as they are either immune of has high resistance against other types of weapons.

Second, the flail of age head is not guarded, which means you can get the flail of age to defeat the golems.

16. Avooch Dar Guest

there is one of the best axes and one of the best longbows in the game in the other statues. please get them they are really good!

17. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

my flail of ages has no effect against the iron one :(

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

you got all 3 pieces for it?

19. Hayashi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Here's what I did. Force attack the smaller golems one by one. They can be defeated with normal magic weapons (+1, +2 etc). Leave the iron golem for last.
    Cast sanctuary on a character to go in and loot. Golem will ignore you.
    Make the Flail, and go back up to the room and activate the iron golem. He'll get stuck in the doorway.
    Whack away. Careful! the iron golem has a nasty poison attack. However you will be able to see when he's about to cast it, when you see the animation get your characters out of the way.

It's hard, but possible. I did this as my very first quest in Chapter 2 using my kensai, Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Aerie & Nalia.

20. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I can't believe that no has said this method yet.

You should have picked up a ring of earth control in the keep. And in case you didn't know a golem is considered as an earth elemental. So charm the big (Iron?) golem in the middle and get him to beat up the others. Then he should be easy to take out since he would have been hit by the others.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.