1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good Fantasy or Scifi Series

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rathanel, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Rathanel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm trying to find some decent series out there to read, but having a bit of trouble. I've already read a lot of the good stuff out there, and my last few forays have been less than satisfying.

Authors I've Read:
    Melanie Rawn, Robert Jordan, Steven Brust, Katherine Kerr, Forgotten Realms stuff, DL stuff, Terry Pratchett, Asimov, Heinlein, Friedman, Tolkien (of course), Goodkind, Eddings, Feist, Salvatore, Hobb, G. R. R. Martin, Farland, Weis and Hickman, McKiernan, D. Adams, McCaffrey, Anne Rice.

Please recommend any series you have enjoyed, either sci-fi or fantasy or otherwise.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fantasy - Tad Williams' Memory Sorrow and Thorn, and for more of a SF setting his Otherland series.

SF - Lois McMaster Bujold for her series around Miles Vorkosigan.

SF - David Brin's Uplift Trilogy

There are plenty of other great SF books that are not series.

3. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

SF: Orson Scott Card

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Roger Zelazny - Amber series

Larry Niven - He's got a whole future history

Alan Dean Foster - Flinx books (The Tar Aiym Krang, etc.)

Lawrence Watt Evans - The Esthshar books (The Misenchanted Sword, etc.)

Janny Wurts - She's got two series, I forget the names

Stephen Donaldson - Thomas Covenant series

Glen Cook - The Black Company series

Joel Rosenberg - Guardians of the Flame series

Guy Gavriel Kay - The Fionavar Tapestry (currently in reprint)

Michael Stackpole - Anything fantasy

PM me if you want more suggestions or have a specific sub-genre that you like

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Julian May - Especially the Galactic Milieu Trilogy, Intervention, and The Saga of the Exiles

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  7. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Wow,nobody read Death Gate Series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman?
    They are pretty good,i suggest you to take a look at.
    [He numbered Weis and Hickman among the authors he has read - BTA]

[ January 31, 2003, 15:42: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Steven Donaldson - SF - The Gap Series. Quite a personal favourite.

9. Rathanel Gems: 1/31

Thank you all for the recs. This should keep me busy for a couple of months.

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Death Gate series indeed :D Very good series. I'm more surprised only one person mentioned Tolkien ;)

Phantasy:
    Ian Irvine: The View from the Mirror (Series)
    R.Feist: Riftwar Saga (Series)
    Tolkien: Lord of the Rings (Trilogy) The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.
    R.Jordan: Wheel of Time (Series)
    T.Goodkind: Sword of Truth (Series)

While Jordan may have his bad points (repetetiveness and spending lots of books to get the plot moving) I really like reading his books.

[ February 03, 2003, 11:39: Message edited by: Faragon ]

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Faragon - perhaps if you read the original post and the previous responses, you would have realized that Rathanel mentioned Tolkien, Jordan, Goodkind and Feist. The point is to offer new authors/series, not rehash what is already there.

[ February 03, 2003, 17:16: Message edited by: dmc ]

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I read the first Death Gate book ... hated it. Odd, huh?

For SF, I like the Honor Herrington books.

On fantasy, my first epic fantasy (after LOTR) was the Belgariad by David Eddings. Pick up Pawn of Prophecy, and if you don't fall in love with the characters, put it down. If you like it, there are 9 more books to enjoy (two 5-book series)
    :good:

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Have you ever read anything by R. A. MacAvoy? I enjoy her stuff very much.

The Book of Kells (standalone)

Tea With the Black Dragon
    Twisting the Rope

Damiano
    Damiano's Lute
    Raphael

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

DMC, do not presume I didn't read the thread.

Someone writing one good book doesn't mean all his other books are just as good. And that he lists a writer doesn't mean he read the books that I recommended. So I recommended precisely those series that I liked. There might be something new amongst it for him, even from authors he has already read something else from.

[ February 04, 2003, 22:01: Message edited by: Faragon ]

15. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

James Alan Gardner- I think he has 6 books in his League of Peoples series.

Steve Miller and Sharon Lee- Their Laiden Universe series has just been re-released by ACE.

Glen Cook- Garret P.I. series- a P.I. in a land of magic,elves and gnomes.

16. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Fred Saberhagen
    The Book of Lost Swords

Actually theres about a dozen books all compiled into about 5 books. Great reads.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  17. Rathanel Gems: 1/31

Sorry I didn't point this out earlier, but if I read an author, I really read an author. That is, I get every book they've ever written I can get my hands on. So, when I say, I've read an author, you can assume I've read every book by that author.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

One series I don't believe has been mentioned is the Wild Cards shared universe series, editted by George R.R. Martin. Half sci-fi, half fantasy and half comic book, this group of authors is seriously good -- some not so good as others, but a slick series nonetheless.

Robert Aspirin's Myth series is good for a laugh, but don't read it if you take yourself or your reading too seriously -- it's meant to be fun.

I'm not sure if George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire cycle was mentioned either -- amazingly good, and it breaks rules left right and center.

If you're looking for good science fiction, Gibson is always a good bet, as is his disciple, Walter Jon Williams. "Aristoi" is one of the strangest and most fun books I've read in ages.

David Drake's series beginning with "Lord of the Isles" was a real treat. So was Terry Brooks' series beginning with "Running with the Demon."

Just a few of my favorites.

19. Narnian from the North Gems: 1/31

At least one person here have read the Terry Brooks books! But "Running with the demon" isnt really that good, the Shannara series is abaout 1000000 times better!

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Beware, A View From the Mirror is kinda boring and not terribly well written. There are better series around. Though if it gets better after the second book do tell

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.