1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good set up for Evil PC (help pls)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by blacklion, Aug 27, 2005.

1. blacklion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm currently thinking of a LE Human Fighter with proficiency with Long sword (for Black Razor), Axe (Axe of the Unyielding) and of course, two weapon fighting.

Questions:

1) Am I better off as a Berserker/Barbarian/Kensai (dual to Mage to have a cloak and that Sith look...hehehehehe)
    2) Can I keep my character LE after keeping the Black Razor?
    3) For an Evil PC, is there a better weapon type to invest in other than Longsword? I heard that Irenicus rolls over and dies to the Black Razor and I know that the better weapons don't show up until ToB...

2. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Answers:

1) I go with Berserker if you dual to a mage for the immunities. I've only every played pure, vanilla fighters.

2) I think if you're of an evil alignment, you can pick any choice in the Hell tests and stay evil. Although I've never taken Blackrazor as the weapons I had were as good.

3) Depends on what you mean by 'better weapon'. Something just to kill Jon? Or something to get you through the game? You can't go wrong with Celestial Fury katana and Flail of the Ages as main hand and Crom Faeyr in your off hand.

3. blacklion Gems: 4/31

In my last game, I already have the Crom Fayer in my main hand and the frostreaver axe from d'Arniess in the other hand, and I still struggled with Jon (I was a Zerker then). Someone mentioned in this board that Black Razor is too strong coz it makes the battle with Irenicus too easy (!?)

Black Razor also served me well throughout ToB...

For those who have done it, does the Kensai lvl9/Mage lvlX combination fare well in combat? I'm worried coz the Kensai cant wear armor and mages can't exactly wear that doomplate...

BTW, I meant if I can stay LE...I once finished SoA only to emerge NE in ToB coz I accepted the evil gifts...I'll try accepting only the Black Razor and the Cloak of Bravery next time around...

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You can't have the Kensai Targetted. Use someone wearing plate and carrying a shield to walk ahead. Most enemy will concentrate on this guy.
    Then you can have your Kensai/Mage walk up and kill everybody. The problem with a Kensai is that he can't take many hits before he goes down. But then his combat abilities are very good.
    If you really have problems, then have your Kensai[9]/Mage[x] cast Stoneskin and Mirror Image before any major battle. That should keep him safe.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Sound advice. :)
    I'd add that if you want to get the most of your Kensai you'd be better off with at least a 13th level Kensai for the extra attack but that means a lot of XP. A kensai gets better at higher levels whereas a Berserker benefits from the immunities even if you dual right away in Irenicus Dungeon.
    If you really want your character to wear a robe (Vecna or Archmagi) or an Elven Mail Kensai isn't an option.
    Btw without any mod you can't dual a Barbarian.

6. blacklion Gems: 4/31

Question re: axes (SoA wise)

I take it that I'm pretty much stuck with the Frostreaver/Stonefire as decent axes until I complete Watcher's Keep, ne?

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

That axe you buy in CC, Axe of disruption? That imo is the best Axe in SoA. And if you have Weapon Upgrade mod, you can use Illethium to upgrade that instead of the Mace of Disruption.
    iirc both Frostreaver and Stonefire are only +1 weapons.

8. blacklion Gems: 4/31

axe of disruption? Azure Edge? That Throwing Axe that can kill UD? My PC cannot use it. He's evil.

BTW, Frostreaver and Stonefire are both +3 weapons :)

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Yes, those are among the better axes in the game. If you want a returning ax with some punch, try getting the Rifthome +3.

As for remaining LE after taking the Hell tests, yes, I'm pretty sure you can. The only change would be if a good or neutral aligned PC picked an 'evil' path, their alignment would be NE regardless. My archdruid became NE and didn't lose any druidic ability.

10. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I may be biased, but I tend to play a thief of some description, since the Use Any Item ability rocks harder than any single HLA in the game.

Good thief? Blackrazor? No problem, baby!

Perhaps a Fighter-Thief? It's always fun to start as a fighter then dual to a thief, since thieves level up fast. Get the thac0 below 10 as a fighter, then dual over and start backstabbing...

11. blacklion Gems: 4/31

aaaargh! So many choices!

Okies, I'm noow torn between several options for my villainous PC...

class: pure Zerker vs. Kensai/Thief DC (the hood gives the more "Sith" look than Mage robes IMO)

Any ideas? I'm torn as well between investing skill points in Katana (for Celestial Fury/Hindo's Doom) or Axe (Axe of the Unyielding/Frost Reaver).

Has anyone measured the effectiveness of Celestial Fury/Hindo's Doom (upgraded) and Frostreaver/Axe of the Unyielding (upgraded) and how they compare against each other?

No, I don't plan to dual wield...playing soley for flavor now. :)

12. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

My next character is going to be an evil dwarven fighter/thief taken through BG1 and TOTSC. He should give me the opportunity to do a lot of things Ive never tried before, such as killing Adalon and using the skin armour. I think using an evil dwarf PC from BG1 allows for a legitimate 25 constitution as well, doesnt it? Regardless, the evil fighter thief seems to me to be the best evil choice in terms of roleplaying and game mechanics :)

13. UCLAParadox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

25?

18 Max
    +1 for being a dwarf
    +1 from the tome
    +1 from Lum's Machine
    +2 from the Hell Test Bonus

Where are the other 2 points coming from?

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Upgraded Axe of the Unyielding grants a +1 con bonus. Which Hell test gives you a +2? Or am I confusing constitution with strength?

15. UCLAParadox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Wrath gives +2 to CON for evil (Immunity to +1 and lower for good)
    Pride gives +2 to STR for evil (+1 to CHA and WIS for good).

Ok. So we're at 24 with the Axe of Unyielding. Anyone got any ideas for another +1?

A scary idea can be done with Tutu. A Half-Orc fighter. 24 STR, 19 DEX, 24 CON by the beginning of ToB.

[ August 30, 2005, 01:29: Message edited by: UCLAParadox ]

16. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Maybe not then. As I said, I havent played evil before and merely gleaned info from other sources. Nonetheless, its all gravy, and 23/24 con is certainly not to be sniffed at.

** Minor SOA/TOB item spoilers **

I just like the idea of a bhaalspawn being a slimy, murderous dwarf with creepy regeneration abilities (stratospheric constitution stacked with ring of gaxx and ring of regeneration), wearing armour made out of human skin and dragons blood and with the captured soul of an innocent young woman in his possession (Mala's soul stone). Thus, being a fighter/thief gives me the opportunity to do all the things I felt guilty about doing with my previous good aligned characters :)

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^It sounds like a pretty EVIL and TOUGH dwarfie! Try it and tell us how well he fares!

Can you imagine the obscene amount of HP, regeneration, AND BEST saving throws ever?

18. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

That is very much the idea :) Neb the icky child-killing gnome will have nothing on him.

19. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    UCLAParadox, there is also an Ioun stone that gives a +1 to Constitution.

20. blacklion Gems: 4/31

Hammer proficiency (albeit kinda burdensome JUST to get a decent hammer) works great with two weapon style and [weapon of choice]. In my current game, I picked Long Sword for Black Razor (gotta love that evil sword!)...although Axe of the Unyielding would've been more fun, I like the ability to draining levels to render those helpless fools pitiful :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.