1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Great Game, but.... (SPOIL)

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Dorn, Jul 25, 2000.

1. Dorn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] First off, I loved the game, but I think they could have added a bit more to the ending. If you haven't finished the game yet, then you probably won't want to read further!

I was dissapointed with the design of the crystal tower for starters! That really isn't what I had pictured from Salvatore's IWD! Oh well though. Also, they kind of got off easy with the hand drawn movies rather than real movies! I suppose it goes well with true ending and the novelist though! I did like that part!

Anyone else have an opinion?

2. The Wretched Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I myself did like the ending, but being a big fan of cinematics, I would really like to have seen some in this game. Perhaps in Baldur's Gate II they will finally add cinematics instead of static drawings, but my hopes are not high.

Still, the story was well-told, and the twist with the narrator at the end was pretty cool, if not altogether logical.

My overall opinion of this game, is that it's a solid, fun play experience, but at the same time could have been SO much more, if they hadn't had to rush it out the door to keep a timeline for the release of BG II. There are several quests which are incomplete or obviously left out (Such as making Nym pay for what he did). Chapters 4 and 5 are almost non-existent compared to the extremely long chapters 1 and 2 (3 was moderate), and quite frankly the entire last chapter of the game is completely contrived... why do I have to collect 6 badges just to go up a staircase? It's never really explained, you're just told it must be done.

Lastly, after you get back to Easthaven and enter the tower, I agree that the whole thing is rather half-assed... The Demon-guy (Belfhit?) talks about how you barely scratched the surface of his army after all the killing you did before, but where is this supposed army when you meet him the second time?

But again, I did get everything I expected from this game, and had a blast playing through it. I'm definately going to pick up Baldur's Gate II as soon as it's released.

[This message has been edited by The Wretched (edited July 26, 2000).]

3. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The game was short, easy, and had lame cut-scenes. But somehow I liked it, perhaps I'm too much of a die hard fan, or maybe not. My opinions are certainly different from others.

4. caimenking69 Gems: 2/31

I was very suprised with the ending, I thought I would still have to hunt down that preist dude after I killed Belfour or whatever his name was. The twist at the end was sweet, and killing that idiot POMAB felt great.... nead I say more

5. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] Finally, it ONLY took me 3 times to take out that punk.
    i agree, the ending was pretty weak, except for that twist w/ the narrator.
    i had my two archers loaded up w/ arrows of piercing( +4 to hit) and my mage and bard lay into him w/ magic missles, which worked 90% of the time. my mage did not last long though, those darn golems kept going after her and my bard.
    i had 3 members left standing @ the end, and one of them of all people was my BARD.

6. iosekirby Gems: 2/31

I liked the ending. For the question i forgot who posted it they do tell u why your need the badge. One women tells you that you have to destory the big demons army then you might have a chance to get to kill him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.