1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Greater Whirlwind or Assassinate?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by boopboopboop, Apr 10, 2004.

1. boopboopboop Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Assassinate looks better "on paper" but which would you rather have? BTW this is for my fighter/mage/thief.

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Greater whirlwind for me. When I'm in a tough fight it lets you land far more blows on the enemy which I found crucial.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Definitely Greater Whirlwind Attack. 10 attacks on an enemy in a single round of combat can bring even the toughest ones to their knees.

4. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

An Improved Haste and Assassination can go a long way.

I was using a Half-Orc Fighter/Thief with that combo. He had a natural 2.5 attacks. Imp. Haste raises that to 5 attacks. Add Assassiantion to the mix and you have 5 backstabs in one round!!!

With a Backstab modifier of x5 that equates to 25 attacks in a single round
    (5 atk. * 5 multiplier= 25)

Now this is assuming the monster is able to be backstabbed. Even with that combo, it's best to have both abilities in case you run into that problem.

5. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31

It depends. If you cast improved haste on your character, then Assasinate. If you are caught unprepared, then Whirlwind has no match.

6. boopboopboop Gems: 1/31

Thanks, all.

7. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Assassinate is better IMO. Especially if you have a poor str (15 or less) then assassinate is the way to go. This is because str is not multiplied in backstab, just the weapon damage and I think proficiency bonuses too. So...

With a char with short sword +1 (1 prof point) and 15 str. Assassinate would give min 5+5 to 30+5 damage.
    For a fighter thief at max level buffed with Imp. Haste, this would come to 5 attacks doing min 25+25 to max 150+25

This same characters 'potential' with greater whirlwind would be 20-70 damage. So Assassinate wins from what I can tell.

If the char had 19 str. then it changes slightly - It would be min 5+5+7(17) to 30+5+7(42) with assassination. With the buffs 25+25+7(57) to 150+25+7(182).

With gww this would be min 90 damage to 140. No where near as good.

Then you take into account critical hits and gww falls flat on its face. Would you rather have 84 critical hit or 28?

This really only works if you use Imp. haste or dual wield belm and kudane or maybe the scarlet ninja to.

Ok, its really late for me so I might have totally screwed up my numbers and logic so if I'm wrong be gentle :p I've just finished a 16 hour shift at work.

8. KyletheSpeedDemon Gems: 1/31

Greater Whirlwind is damn effective and fun...looks very cool, especially if you are a Monk and play the game on 60 updates per second.

9. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i'd say it depends on your THAC0 ... if you will likely miss 1-2 attacks vs a powerful opponent i think GW would be better. in later stages when you hit anyway, assassination is the best. there IS a reason why you only can pick it once. ;)

10. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31

I took more than one Assassination in my game. In fact, I had 3 of them. I just went with Greater Whirlwind after that.

11. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Duel weilding with Improved haste and Scarlet (usable by Theives with "use any item") can get you up to 7+ attacks a round, or if you have the true grandmastery installed as I have you can put 5 * into a weapon for an extra attack bringing the total up to 9.

So in the former case Whirlwind is probably better but if you have Ease of use then it's assasination all the way imo.

12. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i agree with getting assassination, because if you combine that with improved haste you can take down monsters pretty fast, unless of course they are immune to backstab... then you will have to use a different strategy, but i will always put assassination better over whirlwind (mainly because i recently started a solo assassin lol) but also i tend to get more use out of it, but it is really a matter of opinion, and it also depends on your situation, so really there is no 'better' move, just depends

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Assassination...especially as I see that this is a Fighter/Mage/Thief.

Slap on an Improved Haste and watch the monster chunks fly!!

Of course, if the monster is immune to backstab, then using Assassinate is a bit stupid...obviously, you will have to use GWW instead.

However, when deciding which ability to use considering that Assassinate can be used as well, i.e. the monster can be backstabbed, Assassinate is the best ability you can use.

14. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    A question: How do you know if a monster can be backstabbed or not?

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

When you backstab the critter, it says "The backstab failed" or something like that. That's pretty much the only way you can make out whether a monster is backstab-able or not.

I think there was a thread on one of these boards a while ago about which monsters could be backstabbed and which couldnt.

IIRC, demons, Rakshasas and pretty much any of the bosses (Gromnir, Illasera, Yagashura), any dragon...and a few other characters I cant remember about are all non-backstab-able...but my trusty halfling Assassin with his Gesen's Bow and Poisoned arrows is still able to kick butt!! :D

16. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

So Assassination is useless against any of the really tough enemies in the game? Whereas Whirlwind is effective against every single enemy?

I guess I'll be sticking with Whirlwind for the time being.

17. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

Also depends on the weapon you are using. A weapon with an effect (like Celestial Fire, Vorpal Sword, etc.) is better used more times for less damage (greater whirlwind) to increase its effect.

Also depends on your opponent. Greater whirlwind is better at taking out stoneskins and the like.

18. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Assassinate works better than GW in most of the case, but since there are a few bosses in TOB that is immune to it, and you rarely use Assassinate for the entire battle anyway (2 hit is enough for most of your foes). I would suggest put more skills in GW (2-5 is good, the rest in Time and Spike traps).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.